Author Topic: Top pilots  (Read 98183 times)

Offline LazyPandas

• Salutes: 16
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Re: Top pilots
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2014, 12:08:08 pm »
Hello scrubs, if we're going to list top pilots clearly one man (sheep?) rises abaa-ve the rest. This individual Bleats down the competition whenever he takes to the skies. He turns his enemies into Mutton. He completely fleeced the competition the last time he flew in Hephaestus. Who is he? Nat "Lamb-bert Einstein" Nyls, Ace Detective/Pilot.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 12:27:16 pm by LazyPandas »

Offline GRANDMOM

• Salutes: 0
    • [ILPR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2014, 06:04:43 am »
Havent read all of the thread, and I dont have a favourite pilot yet - seen many good ones in terms of flying, positioning and getting into the right positions - sure. This dont neccessarily make a good pilot to me. Im not a high level myself and havent flown more than 250-300 games as a pilot.

The pilot to me is the commander, and that involves alot more than just flying - at least in my book.

Communication - He needs to be able to lead, think ahead and make his crew aware of what he is planning to have them ready at the right guns at the right time, with the right ammo. To be very clear about orders so the crew dont have to guess what he is doing. Also the Communication with friendly captains are of great importance, a level 45 captain wont win a 2v2 alone every day of the weak unless he cooperates. Mic is essential.

Prematch planning - checking enemy loadouts and ships, be flexible and adapt to what they have and and make sure his crew and ally has the setup to match it.

Decisionmaking - in the heat of the battle the ability to make the right decisions is crucial, who to focus fire on, when and how to engage, when to focus repairs, when to sacrifice his ship for the team, when to pull back. Seen good flyers fail in this departement, sweetly flying into the wrong situation is not gonna make u a good commander.

Thats a few of my Points and my 50 cents on the matter.

Btw - whats a good win ratio for a pilot?

Offline AngryWalnuts

• Salutes: 1
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2014, 10:09:52 am »
Thank you for the shoutout Kitkatkitty, DJ Logicallia. I wish I could show everyone else what I'm capable of. and the next time a post like this makes the rounds I want to see my name on it more.  I'm in this game for glory. Glory for Rome. Glory for me.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2015, 12:34:24 pm »
Ightrill of Overwatch, a great ally very calm, and confident enough to avoid the meta! And a damn good friend.
Log Hally of 404, seriously must be a ninja! :)
Hillerton. A genuine delight to crew for, very aware of map and field of view. :)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2015, 01:48:02 pm »

Win ratio tends to be a poor indicator of individual skill. If you are flying with a regular crew than knows how to work together, your win rate will be significantly higher than if you joined random games and had to make do with what ever the Match making system gives you. Also flying a Metamiddion all the time will increase your win ration while not necessarily making you a better pilot.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2015, 03:50:58 pm »

Win ratio tends to be a poor indicator of individual skill. If you are flying with a regular crew than knows how to work together, your win rate will be significantly higher than if you joined random games and had to make do with what ever the Match making system gives you. Also flying a Metamiddion all the time will increase your win ration while not necessarily making you a better pilot.
I've won around two third of the games I've piloted on, but I am in no ways a top pilot.
I'm pretty sure having a microphone raises your win ratio. That's how I win most of my games: tryharding, setting up 2v1s, and telling my crew to aim at heavy guns.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2015, 09:49:15 am »
Getting thread back on track!

Wundsalz (Ryder) A pleasure to co-pilot with, one I hope i can arrange to fly alongside again with!

Lueosi (Ryder) because Lueosi really is a very reactive pilot, always aware of the map and his positioning!

Skrimshaw (GWth)  only flown along his recently and his tactical awareness is incredible, with good communications too! You can easily see where the tales of the thralls originate from!

StrawberryDelight (NEKO) Genuinely a delight! (even when he was mining me for half a match as my ally!  >:( ) a great laugh and I hope to see him more often!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:58:46 am by Kamoba »

Offline Supimpa

• Salutes: 8
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2015, 10:40:14 am »
I just can't give much credit to meta pilots, so i cast a vote to Gilder, one of the few brave enough to fly the squid pre 1.2, and fly it well.

Offline Kestril

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2015, 09:15:17 pm »
Played against and with Lueosi before my internet pooped out this evening and tried to put up a fight while still teaching my 1-5 level crew XD

He's good at positioning and the lumberjack+hadies was terrifying. Once his sights were set on me my balloon, armor were downed and everything else was on fire.

Other captains that I've met in game would be Smollet and Rear Admiral Zill. I haven't seen or don't remember many others.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2015, 05:56:45 am »
Kamoba, Excellent Commander, helpful to newer players, always seems to remain calm and is very driven to continue to get better.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2015, 06:03:51 am »
Waffleghost. Because Waffle. Always nice no matter what. Always efficient. Well, almost always.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2015, 06:09:17 am »
Kamoba, Excellent Commander, helpful to newer players, always seems to remain calm and is very driven to continue to get better.
*Blushes* I finally made it here! \o/

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2015, 03:36:29 am »
LIVE, THREAD LIIIIVE

I flew against Archriel a few times a couple weeks ago. He came back for a few games after a long inactivity and played in a Rydr scrim that I was subbing in. And, oh man, can that guy fly a pyra. This was the first time he played since the pyra nerf happened and it was like it didn't even phase him. I used to think that bad players substituted their lack of skill with a metamidion, or good pilots that wanted a quick win flew metamidtions, but Archriel flew it like a real ship, not a throw away meta ship. It was so hard to defend against and he positioned him self so well it was almost impossible to retaliate before we were dead. I've never seen someone shake off rust so quickly

Offline Ayetach

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2015, 03:08:44 am »
Ightrill of Overwatch, a great ally very calm, and confident enough to avoid the meta! And a damn good

Amen to this.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2015, 08:38:50 am »
Can we all agree that I am the best Pilot if you cannot decide?  :P

I love piloting and will willingly help out any new crews whom require a captain or someone to guide them.

Personally, it is not about a specific ship, I feel that a good pilot needs to be proficient in most builds, I personally love the Metamideon but I also experiment and have become a huge fan of the mine/Barking dog front loadout.

Alternatively, I am also a huge fan of Mobulas and Spired, Despite not being the most competitive a close range combat, commanded correctly, their captain can deliver a deadly attack with decent coordination.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 08:46:55 am by The Mann »