Author Topic: Suggestion: Languages and communication.  (Read 11951 times)

Offline Trystan Hart

• Salutes: 5
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
Suggestion: Languages and communication.
« on: November 08, 2014, 09:15:45 am »
So quite often I find that the mute noob who's been causing me to chew the keyboard in frustration simply does not speak English, and so ignores all communication. Occasionally, you get one who has the decency to say "No english sorry, Rassia" or something similar.

On those occasions, I usually alt-tab out to google translate, and throw in a few instructions in their native language. This often works well (though you can't select the text of their replies in chat, so you will only be able to instruct, not converse)

My suggestion is that each player has to choose from a pull-down menu of which languages they can/prefer to speak. This would enable people to be paired up with people they could speak to (if they set that preference), and those they couldn't speak to would either be able to use a translator or at least understand why the noob is not getting off the gun no matter how much you shout at him.

Just an idea.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Languages and communication.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 09:34:13 am »
Although idea is good I think it's too much of a hassle to implement AND it's another thing that matchmaking would be ordered to fail in (as creating balanced lobbies now).

Some solution is at least translating V-commands to some of the most popular languages, but Devs aren't willing to do that for now because...reasons.

Offline Trystan Hart

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 09:50:32 am »
That would mean implementing half a dozen new voice sets.

I think a simple drop down menu or two that would add a little flag or text to the player profile would be pretty simple to implement. Matchmaking integration could come later.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 11:50:47 am »
+1 for cosmetic language flags.

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 11:55:18 am »
I'm really hoping they include voice acting for the V-commands in the steam workshop or add it down the road.  I know at least it's been brought up in the fireside dev chat a couple of times.  then they could implement the new voice sets with different languages a whole lot easier, so long as players give the workshop a whirl.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 11:57:06 am by shaelyn »

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 01:10:34 pm »
I don't understand the point of having different language voice commands unless you already know the language the people on your ship speak and they all speak the same language.  Picking the language should be on the end of the listener, not the speaker.

I speak English.  If I'm on a crew with someone who speaks Russian and someone who speaks Japanese, what language V-command should the captain use?

You should be able to set a language in preferences that EVERYONE ELSE's v-commands are translated to do that they actually HELP bridge the language gap.  Your V-commands will also automatically be whatever language they've selected.

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 02:40:06 pm »
I don't understand the point of having different language voice commands unless you already know the language the people on your ship speak and they all speak the same language.  Picking the language should be on the end of the listener, not the speaker.

I speak English.  If I'm on a crew with someone who speaks Russian and someone who speaks Japanese, what language V-command should the captain use?

You should be able to set a language in preferences that EVERYONE ELSE's v-commands are translated to do that they actually HELP bridge the language gap.  Your V-commands will also automatically be whatever language they've selected.

Definitely this! I hate not having anyway to communicate with someone when they speak a different language.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 03:17:31 pm »
Well, if devs actually WILL start implementing some localized V- commands, I can help translating them to Polish. ^^

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 05:06:42 pm »

I think a simple drop down menu or two that would add a little flag or text to the player profile would be pretty simple to implement. Matchmaking integration could come later.

Firstly, I meant ONLY translating subtitles, sorry for not being specific about this. Leave the voicepacks alone, just translate the subtitles and, as someone said, make them be chosed on the recieving end instead of sending end.

(Optionally turned on/off in menu) country flags would be FREAKKING AAAAWEEEESOOOOOOME *high voice*

Well, if devs actually WILL start implementing some localized V- commands, I can help translating them to Polish. ^^

Well this actually can't be done because.... let's just say it's not that Devs don't trust us
... but yeah, they totally don't :P
I mean, they don't let players do the translations because they're afraid we put some vulgar words or anything into translation and later they may have problems with that. That's why it takes forever to do the translations - they actually have to hire legit language-guy to do it for them. Maybe there's a chance for fan-translations with Steam workshop?
Also Devs several times said that they are planning some changes in V-commands, maybe that's also a problem at the moment.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 06:47:01 pm »
Well then, I can recommend my father - professional and known for really good translations. "Zombie Survival" and "World War Z" are books he translated into Polish and as far as I know, it's considered really damn good.

It would be even better, he'd earn some freaking money for that. :P Therefore, there is a chance that Muse would pay me for playing their game... I like this idea. :P

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 07:11:44 pm »

Firstly, I meant ONLY translating subtitles, sorry for not being specific about this. Leave the voicepacks alone, just translate the subtitles and, as someone said, make them be chosed on the recieving end instead of sending end.

yeah, having the subtitles in the language of the receiver would be excellent.

Offline Trystan Hart

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 04:29:21 am »
The trouble with relyingsolely on the voice commands is that there is no voice command for "Aim for their hull with the gatling" or "switch to heavy clip" or "You're using the wrong tools for rebuilding"

Of course if translated subtitles were a thing, then just making visible which subtitle language someone was using would work, but in the meantime, jsut some simple way of telling what language someone speaks (so you don't have to spend 5 minutes guessing) would be a nice touch.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 05:38:36 am »
I am sending it to Muse telling them about:
1) OP's matchmaking suggestion
2) Nation/language flag idea
3) Translating subtitles with recieving side language option

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 12:22:52 pm »
Got a response

"The showing nationality might be a bit too much due to some people's nationalistic and racial bias, but having the text of voice chat change to the chosen wouldn't be as hard as changing everything else.
(...)
I'll add [those ideas] into the pile for the engineers to check out."

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 01:09:55 pm »
Cool, so far I've been able to work with multinational crews.

Maybe a more immediate solution would be to make a guide on multilingual communication. Make a community guide explaining how to say the necessary things in other languages.