Author Topic: Poor Squid  (Read 26855 times)

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
Re: Poor Squid
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 03:48:22 pm »
I don't think we need another ship for competitive play. I think we need a ship that a high level crew can handicap themselves with when facing a lower level lobby.

I think it's already pretty easy for high-level players to handicap themselves by flying a challenging/not-very-effective build on any given ship.... I think all ships should have the potential to be equally viable.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 05:51:58 pm »
I think many players see the squid how they saw the goldfish a few months ago. Under powered and in need of a buff. I wonder if it's the ship that needs a change or the mindset of the pilots.

Goldfish has the heavy carronade. That aint a mindset thing.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 07:35:59 pm »
Mine squid. Front/side mines. Back banshee or artemis. Artemis for a little disable when needed, and then when you're close, use the mines.
(I'm an excessively horrible person, I use mines so much.)

Offline DJ Tipz N Trix

• Salutes: 20
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 01:43:02 pm »
Squid is already an amazing CP ship.  The reason you don't see it in competitive is because nobody has ever tried to do a CP tournament yet.  If people ever play CP competitively, you will see more Squids.

Offline Mezhu

• Salutes: 33
    • [Sgar]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 02:04:52 pm »
Squid is simply bad, be it with carro/flame or whatever else.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 03:10:44 am »
Squid is already an amazing CP ship.  The reason you don't see it in competitive is because nobody has ever tried to do a CP tournament yet.  If people ever play CP competitively, you will see more Squids.

Ahem...

https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4879.0.html

Course thats more mixed now but the first event was all CP.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 03:12:15 am by Gilder Unfettered »

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 09:37:13 am »
Phoenix claw. What good is a fast/maneuverable boat when even a pig like the pyra can keep pace with a circling opponent?

Offline Nidh

• Salutes: 16
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2014, 09:41:33 am »
Phoenix claw. What good is a fast/maneuverable boat when even a pig like the pyra can keep pace with a circling opponent?

^ Exactly. The Squid is not very good because it's one advantage, speed, is nullified by phoenix claw.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2014, 10:02:24 am »
Squid is a functional ship, although it takes more effort to get things working right. We managed to pull one off in the last SCS, although it was extremely sloppy. I've been out of practice for a while, didn't bring the right tools, didn't have the time to get the ship or crew set up right. Took us a while to become even moderately effective in that match. Under different conditions we can get the squid working even better.

Depending on how it's built, it makes a good distraction ship that can severely punish ships if and when they start ignoring it. Generally nimble enough to avoid being killed easily as well. Phoenix claw on other ships doesn't really negate it's effectiveness either. As a squid pilot, one of your biggest strengths is having an easily accessible forward and rear facing gun. So instead of strafing around a ship, just pass under or over them and use the tail gun. If they try to repeat the process, do it again in reverse. Once a squid gets in close, it can be extremely hard to get them off of you. (Some ships have an easier time of course, like the junker)

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 10:09:10 am »
Also squid is very demanding for all the engineers (because nobody runs a squid with a gunner....).

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2014, 10:49:43 am »
Also squid is very demanding for all the engineers (because nobody runs a squid with a gunner....).

It is very demanding, but if it is that demanding that no gunner would get to shoot then no engineer would get to shoot either.
On a squid you can even have a gunner with "optimal" ammo types for both front and back gun, which could make Thomas suggested strategy easier since only one person has to get on a different gun, has the right ammo for it and the engineers wouldn't have to switch positions all the time.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2014, 10:53:23 am »
I'm still struggling to get my "favourite ship" to be squid

and my "most used tools" to be heatsink, lochnagar, and incendiary"

as gunner.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2014, 12:18:51 pm »
So does anyone fly squid as your primary ship?

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2014, 01:22:21 pm »
I like to fly the squid a lot, but it can be extremely exhausting for a crew and captain. You need to have everyone briefed on what they'll be doing and when, and things change much more rapidly than they do on other ships. Your crew needs to be able to go with the flow and not get tunnel vision, and since the squid capitalizes on mobility, the captain has to be very very aware of their surroundings and other ship positions, lest they run into things or get trapped.

Overall it's mostly difficult not because of it's softness, but because of all the component locations. Everything is so spread out that you're entire crew has to be ready and willing to be mobile. Making it harder to keep things buffed and chem sprayed, let alone doing well for repairs when things go bad or the captain really likes their tools.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 03:44:08 pm »
On a squid you need to have extremely good parkour skills and a stable connection so you don't fall off the ship while doing the engine circuit. It's fun, but very demanding/stressful.

There are some videos of the sort of trick jumps required, but the goal should be whacking all 4 engines and balloon within roughly 8-10 seconds of each other. That's the baseline for engineering on a squid and not many people can do it. I certainly can't.