Author Topic: Is there much people left ?  (Read 17125 times)

Offline Deryn Sharp

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
Is there much people left ?
« on: September 29, 2014, 02:36:06 pm »
Hello guys, i'm Deryn Sharp and i started playing in July, then i took a big pause. Now i want to play again, but i wonder if a significant number of people left during my break. I played 30 mn today and i didn't saw much of lobbies, so... Ye, before taking the game seriously again i wanted to know that. I mean, i know good games don't have that much of popularity nowadays... And i'm used to be heartbroken seeing my new hobbies getting deserted.  :-\

I hope it was the right section to post that, and please, excuse me if it wasn't. I don't remember to have posted yet.

Sorry for my bad english, its a little rusty, 20 century-ish... Y'know... Anyway, thanks in advance for your answers, and i hope we'll meet in game soon :)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Re: Is there much people left ?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 04:12:21 pm »
The summer crowd went back to school is one big reason. But theres likely a myriad of others. GOIO does this. We see huge boom periods and then huge down periods. Honestly I'm not surprised. This has been the routine for the last year. I wouldn't expect things to really pick up till COOP hits. The PVE element brings in another crowd which often leaks into the PVP area.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 12:31:09 am »
...Hell, just pair up a large or medium-large youtube/streamer and a steam sale, and you'll see Crap loads of people...  However, not all of them are the kind of people that this community will tolerate. Only a fraction of the people from the sales are the kind of people who stick with the game and contribute positively to this community.

(Personally, it is such a chore keeping things civil when the small but vocal crowd of mysogynistic 12-year olds come in. Or those idiots who are like "Hail Hitler", or the trolls. I, as a reasonably sane, responsible human being frown upon those people, and can relate to those who take offense to those kinds of people.)

(I'm Jewish.)

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 12:35:03 am »
Offtopic, but it's kind of odd that this is the first reference to westerfeld's leviathan I've seen on the forum. As obsessed with skywhales as we are, someone should have noticed a book with a giant honking skywhale right in the name. Plus it has steampunk zepellins and mecha, so it should appeal a lot to the GOIO crowd.

Offline Canon Whitecandle

• Salutes: 8
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 01:31:36 am »
Not only have the summer crowd gone back to school, but there seems to have been an odd rash of computer mess-ups amongst the people I usually play with as well as a myriad of Youtubers, (Star, Minicorn, etc.). That's why I'm gone currently, can't play GoIO on my crap laptop.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 03:07:23 am »
...Hell, just pair up a large or medium-large youtube/streamer and a steam sale, and you'll see Crap loads of people...  However, not all of them are the kind of people that this community will tolerate. Only a fraction of the people from the sales are the kind of people who stick with the game and contribute positively to this community.

(Personally, it is such a chore keeping things civil when the small but vocal crowd of mysogynistic 12-year olds come in. Or those idiots who are like "Hail Hitler", or the trolls. I, as a reasonably sane, responsible human being frown upon those people, and can relate to those who take offense to those kinds of people.)

(I'm Jewish.)

Send em my way, I've got mines!

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 03:25:57 am »
Offtopic, but it's kind of odd that this is the first reference to westerfeld's leviathan I've seen on the forum. As obsessed with skywhales as we are, someone should have noticed a book with a giant honking skywhale right in the name. Plus it has steampunk zepellins and mecha, so it should appeal a lot to the GOIO crowd.

Off topic: Yeah that's actually kind of surprising, great book though.

On topic: The reasons have already been stated, a lot of us have started school up again and really have little time to actually play games while juggling homework, school activities, jobs, etc.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 05:23:53 am »
You will be able to find a couple of matches going on at any time of the day. If you want to be picky though, you have to play during EU/US evenings (roughly 5pm-6am UTC).
GoIO isn't dead or about to die due to lack of players. We've got a solid players base which is rather dedicated to this game and our ranks tend to fill up with occasional promotion and steam-sale campaigns. That being said we could definitely use one of these campaigns again.
http://steamcharts.com/app/209080#1y

Offline Deryn Sharp

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 06:48:44 am »
Thanks a lot everyone ! I was scared about the future of this good game and i totally forgot about school... We don't see time passing up there, in the Leviathan  ::)

Now that i know the game has a good base of players, i can play it as much as i want without any sad feels ! I hope we'll meet in game now, and i think i will post way more often in the forum. Y'all look pretty cool and friendly :)

(HRP : idrgbryuesbgzgu. Omniraptor, piemanlives. I mean, four people only told me they recognized me during games and waiting in the lobby and stuff. )

Offline RedRoach

• Salutes: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 09:49:40 am »
Some of us may not play a lot, but hell no am I not going to be unknown on these forum lands!

You'll always find a friendly face here. Don't worry about it. All of us here are active people (to some extent) and work to spread the light atmosphere.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:54:59 am by RedRoach »

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 02:20:54 pm »
just wanted to say hi, and yes we're very much alive.  look forward to seeing you in game :)

I've been moving though, so when I get another chance to breathe, I'll be able to play more matches.

Offline Deltajugg

• Salutes: 16
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 03:04:18 pm »
There's only but a small percentage of people that dares play the game despite the "lobbies of icarus" issue, and most of the people that already left prefers going straight into the game action instead of preparing the right layout and setting yourselves up around the ship. Muse said there's the matchmaking system coming up with the next big patch, so if it will come with proper advertisement from youtubers and such, the playerbase may be more solid than it currently is. That of course depends on whether or not this matchmaking thing will be done properly, but it is a chance for the playerbase, amount of lobbies, and ease of finding a game to be significantly increased.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 03:35:19 pm »
It actually looks like we are approaching an all-time low.  :/

http://steamcharts.com/app/209080#All

We need to get more hype!  During the last steam sale I bought it for loads of friends who played a few matches, seemed to enjoy it, but then forgot about it and never played again.

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 04:09:31 pm »
It actually looks like we are approaching an all-time low.  :/

http://steamcharts.com/app/209080#All

We need to get more hype!  During the last steam sale I bought it for loads of friends who played a few matches, seemed to enjoy it, but then forgot about it and never played again.

:(

the anniversary for the game is coming up; I'm hoping Muse has something in store that will bring in more players too.

yeah sparky I had that same issue...

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 04:17:51 pm »
I think that one of the biggest problems with player retention is that the game is WAY more fun once you have a decent grasp on what you are doing and a group of people you enjoy playing with, so it can be hard for new players who don't have friends who play to get into, so they give up before they can experience the joy of a well-functioning team that really makes the game special.  I don't know how to solve this.  Maybe a well-advertised mentoring system that people can sign up for?  I know people have suggested similar things in the past and I think it would be really neat.