Author Topic: Junker viability and builds  (Read 76641 times)

Offline Baron Saturday

• Salutes: 2
    • [A&G]
    • View Profile
Re: Junker viability and builds
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 02:59:57 pm »
Well poo.  You guys got me thinking now.  I may run the same mirrored build for mid range maps, go cara/flamer gat/mortar close and go gat/mortat art/hades merc front long range maps.  Testing testing testing.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 03:04:32 pm »
Gat morter brawls are a very tight run thing. I could argue that the closeness of the pyra's hull to the helm and the ease of ghost flying a pyra allow a captain to assist in double team rebuilds which is not as much an option for the junker. Junkers also tend to be passive about brawls "oh you are in brawl range let me turn my brawling side and we will see who wins." A Pyra can actively enter or leave a brawl depending on the flow of combat.

Ultimately winning will always be down to skill of the players involved.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 03:06:03 pm »
Well poo.  You guys got me thinking now.  I may run the same mirrored build for mid range maps, go cara/flamer gat/mortar close and go gat/mortat art/hades merc front long range maps.  Testing testing testing.
Now that is meta. Gat/Flak used to be a long time ago, we're talking about a year plus... I think some people still use it in game mainly because it's easier to hit with flak than mortar.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 04:45:47 pm »
I want gat/flak back. Things were perfect last year when gat/mort and gat/flak were both viable. Mort would edge out the flak but flak had better finesse and allowed the pilot to evade and kill better. So both had their own niche. Then Muse got arming timer happy. Sometimes they do things and you just shake your head at why they are investing time in messing with them.

You aren't wrong that Gat/Flak was the meta, you're just about a year late. I'd avoid Hades on Junkers tho...the lateral movement is nuts for all but experienced gunners.

Offline Baron Saturday

• [A&G]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 05:12:13 pm »
I hadn't played in about a year actually and the gat/flak worked just as well when adding flamer gat and explosive flak, but it may just be down to the raw skill of the guys i fly with.

Offline pandatopia

• Salutes: 15
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 07:10:15 pm »
You will find very quickly that a flamer build will simply not work vs high level players with chem spray.

It is not that you can't overwhelm them with carro/flamer eventually, its that you cannot do that before you die to say, a metamidion.

The junker is a great ship still imo but I prefer artemis + hades for a sniping side, and good old fashioned meta on the other.

I will say though that carro+flamer will destroy any and all pub matches.

Offline Baron Saturday

• [A&G]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 07:44:05 pm »
You know.  They told me in wrath that i couldn't pvp as a prot warrior and i did to great effect.  In fact, i was top 20 3v for my server at the time.  I'll run the numbers, find the ammo and make it work high level.  Maybe not the best, but certainlyviable.  ;]

Offline pandatopia

• Salutes: 15
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 07:48:10 pm »
You know.  They told me in wrath that i couldn't pvp as a prot warrior and i did to great effect.  In fact, i was top 20 3v for my server at the time.  I'll run the numbers, find the ammo and make it work high level.  Maybe not the best, but certainlyviable.  ;]

I mean its just simply not effective vs chem. Like, ammo won't change that. Greased or charged potentially does OKAY damage vs say, not doing any damage, but not enough to really be a threat.

I wonder if a gat flamer mortar/flak combo would work though, because of the hull pressure. The arcs may be unviable.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 08:19:12 pm »
An aggressive ramming all flamethrower pyramidion is stupidly effective, even against good crews that are chem spraying well.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 12:51:40 am »
An aggressive ramming all flamethrower pyramidion is stupidly effective, even against good crews that are chem spraying well.
It'll get you a few cheap kills, but won't win you the game.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 12:53:05 am »
It'll get you a few cheap kills, but won't win you the game.
Quite a bit more successful than that, in my experiences.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 01:13:34 am »
Wow that was fast. Started out with his own setup and style and got converted into the meta by the second page. Well done guys.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2014, 02:05:43 am »
Yeah flames do squat against chem cycle teams. Why chem needs to be dropped back down again. Who thought it was a smart idea to raise it to 25 sec...sigh. 15 sec would be plenty to make sure people can't just run around perma chemming but also allow it to have a part in battles. 

Ramming with flames can work because you are causing the chem cycle to be thrown off by the damage being dealt. Usually chem teams do not bring an extinguisher. So all it needs is one bad knock and in a few seconds multiple parts are going out because the chem can't keep up. They plan for the optimal situation, not for the "oh crap everything is going wrong!" situation.

Offline Baron Saturday

• [A&G]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2014, 05:13:26 am »
Wow that was fast. Started out with his own setup and style and got converted into the meta by the second page. Well done guys.

Well.  I'm not unreasonable.  I will mentiin, however, mortars are very hard to hit with.  Flak is way better in a pug.  That being said, when my mortsrs were hitting that pesky merc/hades pyra after the hull was brought down, you could actually see the ship progress int shambles.  PUG meta is gat/flak simply because i know, my cre will get hits.  Gat/mortar is actual meta because it's more effective in more skilled hands.  Findimg someone who is good on a mortar at high speed is tough because of how it has to be lead.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2014, 06:50:57 am »
You shouldnt even need to hit at high speed.
Your not a squid. Youre a junker. Once you are in good range and arc you shouldnt need to move at all.
If shots dont hit at fullspeed it isnt the crews fault. Its the pilots fault that he is at such a speed.