Author Topic: New gun: no gun  (Read 13866 times)

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
Re: New gun: no gun
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 10:14:01 am »
i know this problem must exist because people keep bringing it up on the forums, but i seriously dont run into these kinds of players all that often, certainly not enough to call it a problem.

are you being abrasive to new players that join your ship? you cant expect them to instantly understand everything ever and do it perfectly; you have to take a little time to explain what they should be doing and the reasons for them doing that. explaining the reasons and mechanics behind what they are doing is very important, it is not a hard game to learn it is just different and people need some time to adjust. you cant just order people around because you are some imaginary captain, it wont work. treat people like they are people and they will be able to function as a crew member 9 times out of 10.  Frankly, i think the novice matches did alot of damage to the GoI:O community as a whole. Before novice matches most players were understanding of inexperience and not hostile to someone who clearly has never played the game before or has played very little, but that is a discussion for another thread.

that being said occasionally you do run into someone who despite everything will be a dedicated pain in the ass. but that is true of all online games and is a symptom of the platform not the playerbase.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 12:00:27 pm »
I run into the problem of gunners shooting flares when they join during the match, not in the lobby. I tell engineers to not shoot the flares while there are repairs, and to not focus on repairing them but it doesn't always work. About a week ago I left a game because players joined during the match and only shot the flares. Once I was on an AI spire and a gunner joined and only shot the flare. Often when newer players join in during the match they immediately get on the flares and start shooting.
Trolling is unavoidable and I was joking about not having a gun, although it would be very useful for me. I like side flares because of the wide arc and fast turning and that the main engi can quickly set 20 fire stacks.

Offline Ultimate Pheer

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2014, 12:32:44 pm »
W-why would a Gunner stick themselves on the Flare and not shoot ANYTHING else?

Removing a gun wouldn't help, because those players are bad.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 12:38:29 pm »
Fair question Pheer.

Removing guns would solve the problem of not using the right guns and it would increase engineer efficiency.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 09:14:38 pm »
God, this game must be boring the way that you play it. Pyramidion. Two guns only. I wonder which two front guns you use........

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 09:36:57 pm »
AI pyra is my favorite AI ship, but it's not the best AI ship. My fav is double carronade now that AI actually shoot balloon. Against a piercing-explosive pyra I just use gat mortar.
I gotta say merc carro is very effective against goldfish and galleons (on dunes and fjords), especially if you have an ally with explosives. I wish lesmok carro didn't suck though. I like carro artemis with good aim.
But yeah, I like breaking balloons and I love carros.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 04:49:11 pm »
I'd love the option of a no gun for some ships. Be part of the ship customization. Too many times have I watched my hull go ignored because the main engineer couldn't resist shooting the flamer. Perhaps not let every gun placement be made possibly empty and be arbitrarily meta in restrictions. It would certainly help with ai herding. No gun on the front of a junker might make ai almost effective on that long thin ship, closing off the top wing weapons on a mobula may help with ai herding as well.

1. Simply dealing with this kind of situation helps a person to grow. Many jobs require you to deal with customers or to manage employees. In both situations, the task can often be described as trying to make a stupid person listen to you and do something they have no interest in doing regardless of how it will benefit them. As such, being patient with similar situations in gaming is actually helping you develop good interpersonal and management skills

Christ man we get it. Only some immature child could ever get frustrated in a game where team work is so factored into he game that most ships can't function without 4 people pulling in the same direction. What an abrasive jerk!

Offline obliviondoll

• Salutes: 26
    • [BSky]
    • View Profile
    • obliviondoll's blog (barely-maintained)
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 05:16:44 pm »
1. Simply dealing with this kind of situation helps a person to grow. Many jobs require you to deal with customers or to manage employees. In both situations, the task can often be described as trying to make a stupid person listen to you and do something they have no interest in doing regardless of how it will benefit them. As such, being patient with similar situations in gaming is actually helping you develop good interpersonal and management skills

Christ man we get it. Only some immature child could ever get frustrated in a game where team work is so factored into he game that most ships can't function without 4 people pulling in the same direction. What an abrasive jerk!

Saying "we get it" in response to basically my first comment along those lines is pretty senseless. Pick out one of the several LATER threads where I made similar arguments against BlackenedSkies and his purely selfish attempts to redesign the game to suit him to the exclusion of other players. And even then, I'm making similar points because he's using similar arguments in all his threads. They're different topics, but with the same rationale, and as such, it's perfectly reasonable to EXPECT similar counter-arguments showing up across them all.

As for your targeting of my attitude instead of my argument, at no point in this OR any of the other threads have I said that it's not reasonable to get frustrated. I'm quite happy to admit that I get frustrated with other people - both in team-oriented games AND when I'm working or just out there in the real world dealing with people. The point I'm making is that sometimes it's better to just shrug it off, move on, or back yourself out of the situation for a while.

You aren't the only living, breathing human on the team in an online team-based game. When you're in a management position, the people under your command are still human. When you're dealing with customers, THEY'RE human too. You aren't managing AIs that you can reasonably expect to obey every stupid command you give them. Sometimes you're managing people who might think that jumping off the side of a bridge is a bad idea, even if you're jumping with them. Maybe they noticed you got a bungie cord and they didn't. Maybe they're just scared of heights and you should give them a different job, like issuing bungie cords to the rest of the team.

Knowing how to deal with a situation is VERY different from never getting frustrated about it. Sometimes, the best solution is to step aside. If you can't cope with that much stupid, put yourself in a different situation. If you're getting lots of idiots on your ship all day, either take a break or get some friends to join instead. If you're facing one particularly annoying player and can't deal with them any more, quit the lobby and try another.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2014, 08:41:45 pm »
"BlackenedSkies and his purely selfish attempts to redesign the game to suit him to the exclusion of other players"

hmm...

I'm assuming you're referring to my  "crew joining during matches" thread where I make a few suggestions.

1. limit extra pilots/gunners joining mid match
2. accepting/rejecting loadouts of players joining mid match
3. allowing players to choose if they want all AI
4. restrict novice players to novice games

1 I don't think anyone would object to restricting extra gunners/pilots during a match
2 this would ENCOURAGE players to join with spanner mallet and fire suppression LIKE THEY SHOULD
3 fair point.
4 I would encourage all players to start with novice games. I see level 1 players with no matches start playing in regular matches. I think we would all agree that beginners need practice in novice before really playing the game. This is a common feature in a lot of games where the beginners have a chance to learn mechanics before being thrust into the game with the rest of the players. Yes there are tutorials, but they're only tutorials and don't give a real sense of the game. I think that a player without any matches should start with novice.