Author Topic: Ship ballance / damage ballance  (Read 6486 times)

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Ship ballance / damage ballance
« on: July 24, 2014, 09:39:29 am »
Recently I've been thinking that we see way too much pyramidions in the game, metamidions especially, both in competetive and pub matches. Of course I think this is bad for game and needs to be fixed/changed sooner or later. The problem is that the combo of one-two accurate gatling clips with one-two accurate clips of mortar can quickly destroy any other ship. Moreover - it is pretty easy to do. Possible ways out of this I came with:

Changing the way damage types work
Maybe not complete re-inventing them but something like "nerf this, buff that" kind of thing

Changing the specific weapon(s) damage values and/or types
For instance nerfing the mortar in some way.

Changing the statistics of the ships
For instance decreasing pyramidion's armour value by some factor.

Ship stats for reference:

Ship   HP   Armor
   Squid   850   230
   Goldfish   1100   400
   Junker   500   700
   Galleon   1400   800
   Pyramidion   700   650
   Spire           750   400
   Mobula   700   600

I'm no expert in the matter, so please tell me what do you think.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Ship ballance / damage ballance
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 09:47:16 am »
Lots of pyra discussion already going on here :

https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4420.0.html

However, its less focused I think.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 10:44:08 am »
I think pilots who only fly pyramidions are handicapping themselves.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 11:05:47 am »
Instead of discussing the Pyra, why not focus on the damage types? That's been something I've been thinking since I've first started playing this game.

The dual-damage types of the weapons in GoI sound awesome at first, they sure add some depth and all that, giving weapons multiple pursposes and all, but it's a system that allows for very little expansion within itself, firstly cause weapon balance is extremely tight thanks to it because thanks to the multipliers of each damage type versus every component on a ship, reducing a weapon's shatter damage for example to reduce its disabling potential, will also reduce its total damage against other components, reducing overall damage just to balance the component breaking power of said weapon.

"But you can increase the other damage type to compesate" you might say, but that would make the weapon stronger against hull for example, if they main damage type was explosive and you might end up with a weapon that is good at disabling while now being better at destroying ships, completely wrecking it.

Now I'm not saying Muse should go on and revisit their damage system, but honestly if each weapon had specific damage values against each different component, every weapon in the game would be way easier to balance cause for example:

Let's say we have weapon X (numbers are random btw for example's sake)

Weapon X does: 50 armor damage, 100 hull damage, 70 component damage, 5 balloon damage, 0 fire damage on direct hit. If it also has an AoE, then the AoE would deal different damage on top of the main damage, main damage is applied to point of impact, the AoE's would apply damage to anything in its viscinity depending on the component with a fall off the further away from the point of impact as is now.

Let's say weapon X proves to be too good against components, you can simply reduce the component damage it does on both impact and AoE, without affecting its total damage against other components, something you can't do right now with the current damage system, because by altering one of the damage types on a weapon or buffing it, makes it overall stronger or weaker against everything else, no matter how little or large the difference, it's there and by large it makes balancing too tight.

I just wish Muse would have gone with something like this from the start instead of the dual damage types honestly, while it would allow for more diversity and multi-rolling of weapons instead of the dual damage system cause thanks to that system realy, how many damage combinations can be added that wouldn't be OP and what weapon to not ruin the fragile weapon relationships?

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 06:24:19 pm »
God damn it, the pyra has been nerfed enough, leave it alone.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 04:30:21 am »
God damn it, the pyra has been nerfed enough, leave it alone.

Here here...heck this game has been nerfed enough.

Weapons too really. Gats alone have felt extremely weak. Pointless to even use them against high armor ships cause it takes multiple clips to bring armor down. All the while carro/flamer wreaks everything in no time. Just more of this constant push towards engineer dueling. I sure hope someday pilot duels will be a thing again.