Author Topic: Balance ideas for Pyramidion and Junker  (Read 48743 times)

Offline Puppy Fur

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 10
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
Balance ideas for Pyramidion and Junker
« on: June 30, 2014, 03:08:01 pm »
Just some thoughts on Pyras and Junkers and how to maybe balance them so other ships are used more.

Feel free to talk about how you think balance should be.

---

Pyra balance: Not longer able to hit top engine from below.

Junker balance: No longer able to hit hull from below (you still can currently).

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Balance ideas for Pyramidion and Junker
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 03:28:58 pm »
Pyra balance : nerf turning arcs of portside guns,
                     : nerf  the speed,
                     : buff  hull armor

Junker balance : nerf arcs of side guns even maybe just one side.
                        : nerf turning speed
                        :buff balloon health

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 03:35:14 pm »
I'm glad this thread exists, will try to come up with some ideas. I had actually thought of the one for the pyramidion too, not being able to fix main engine from bottom, because as it stands the pyramidion is just too easy to engineer compared to the rest.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 03:56:42 pm »
I mean, we could not nerf, rather strengthen other ships.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 04:01:16 pm »
We could fix phoenix claw, and solve about every movement based issue with ships right now.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 04:06:43 pm »
What do you mean by fix phoenix claw? Phoenix claw being too good?

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 04:10:09 pm »
Currently, one can pretty much leave claw on for quite awhile with little consequence.

As such, faster ships cant make use of their advantage since claw negates the weakness in other ships. It's most noticeable on pyras and junkers.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 04:11:30 pm »
We could fix phoenix claw, and solve about every movement based issue with ships right now.
This. The claw levels all ships turn speed to an almost ridicolous degree. The pyra is the ship which benefits from this the most. Even a squid has got a hard time to stay out of a clawing pyras gun arcs.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 04:11:44 pm »
That is a good point. Hmmmm, claw nerf would definitely be interesting.

Offline Hunter.

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 23
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • My Hummingbird (Anime Website)
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 05:45:32 pm »
I mean, we could not nerf, rather strengthen other ships.
I second this:
Squid: Angle the starboard gun more towards the front, allows for more combination and usages.
Mobula: Balloon buff, Velocity buff
Galleon: Needs to be more enjoyable to fly, right now you can't see anything from the cockpit, it isn't maneuverable and isn't fast either.. Overall it is just boring to fly.. not sure what is within your limits to change.. maybe move the pilot seat? But I'm not sure, firepower wise it is balanced and good and does  it's job well.. just no fun to fly imo. Maybe a balloon buff would make see more action? Or a buff to it's guns angles (Hwacha vertical angles)
Spire: Movement speed buff.
I also think the Heavy Carronade needs a nerf or a Junker balloon needs a buff as as it stands the Junker is very easily countered and therefore is very unlikely to be seen. (Edit: As a core ship that is, it is still sometimes seen as a support ship)

Anyway, this is just a short draft of my ideas.. feel free to comment and criticize!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 05:49:40 pm by Hunter. »

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 07:32:31 pm »
I agree that the junker is definitely too tanky because of the hull-repair sweet spot.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 08:00:31 pm »
I agree that the junker is definitely too tanky because of the hull-repair sweet spot.

The Junker is actually pretty well balanced and I hesitate to take away creative and skill based engineering tactics (as far as I'm concerned there are far too few already), it just turns a little too fast giving it almost permanent gun arcs and near instant weapon swaps.  It would only need the slightest bit of turn nerfing to bring it in balance.

Pheonix claw has been OP and near mandatory for as long as I can remember.

I'm surprised no one mentioned an armor reduction for the pyra.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 08:04:44 pm »
Nerfing the phoenix claw a little would solve the pyra issue, but other ships would be affected just as much, for example, a galleon would then take even longer to turn. In turn of this, the angular acceleration or even top speed should then be increased.

I believe an alternitive tool to the phoenix claw would be nice. The only reason why it is a "must have" is because no other tool gives you in any way similar advantages.
What I would request is a tool that accelerates your angular speed instantly. You would turn quicker, but in total relatively slow. I am not sure though how much more than the phoenix claw would be really used...

Junkers are tanky, yes, but if you weaken it in any field you might accidentally get a galleon with lower armor/hull or a spire with less fire power. Removing that "sweet spot" fur hull repairs should nerf it enough since it would make the gungineering game harder while in combat.

Personally, I would want the "old" squid back...

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 09:56:39 pm »
Maybe we can give  repair sweet spots to the other ships. The Squids top engines can be made easier to hit from the bottom, The Goldfish could have a ramp connecting the main engine to the lower engines. And the Galleons main engine could be made easier to hit from the lower deck.

Offline Argus Finkle-McGraw

• Salutes: 0
    • [Cthu]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 01:22:59 am »
As I making engine repair and chemspray rounds on a pyra I was thinking it was one of the easier ships to repair the engines on.  I thought one way to nerf pyra a little would be to either raise or block off the main engine such that it can't be reached from between the other two engines.

However, I could also get behind Spud Nick's suggestion as it's much more upbeat
Maybe we can give  repair sweet spots to the other ships. The Squids top engines can be made easier to hit from the bottom, The Goldfish could have a ramp connecting the main engine to the lower engines. And the Galleons main engine could be made easier to hit from the lower deck.

I don't think junkers need much of an adjustment