Author Topic: So about that MLG thing  (Read 50589 times)

Offline Hillerton [PC]

• Salutes: 10
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: So about that MLG thing
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2014, 07:46:26 am »
I have to agree with Skrim on the basis that it's hard to get people around (when it is specific people and not just 8 random Rydrs I need) and we can not really have them put their life on standby just cause someone challenge us (and obviously we can not do this). Unless ofc the challenge comes a month ahead or so, but I'm guessing more on a week ahead of time and so. So whit this system we would need an extremely dedicated group to a point where they might have to give up on real life obligations to complete it...

I say this as the Leader of Rydr so I have a seemingly endless supply of good players so I can for sure get some kind of team going at all times (or at least almost all the time) but what about smaller clans? I know of a few clans that during the HC tournament have needed to bring in subs as their own members could not make a set time how would they be able to meet a challenge?

Basically do we want only the gigantic and dedicated clans to at all do competitive or do we want the old system with some friends getting together and playing, cause lets face it that is what most of the clans are as non of us is getting payed to do this. So with the team heavy and really skill dependent game play of Icarus I really do believe we need more structured forms so that all 8 members of a team can take part and all teams can be their weary best.

PS apparently I agree a lot with skrim in this thread guess he has very sound opinions!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 07:48:05 am by Hillerton »

Offline AbbyTheRat

• Salutes: 52
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2014, 10:17:42 am »
Challenging does not be ALL THE TIME EVERY DAY or so. In fact, I completely understand that teams can't. It's why I suggest fitting it in with scrims. If you have a scheduled scrim going on with another team, why not challenge them for that day? Put something on the line.

But, I agree, the subs rule is a bit too harsh for Guns of Icarus.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2014, 10:41:53 am »
Challenging does not be ALL THE TIME EVERY DAY or so. In fact, I completely understand that teams can't. It's why I suggest fitting it in with scrims. If you have a scheduled scrim going on with another team, why not challenge them for that day? Put something on the line.

But, I agree, the subs rule is a bit too harsh for Guns of Icarus.

the biggest problem is cancellation.
I have tried this so many times.
Scheduling a week beforehand and then on the day get told that the other team have to cancel the scrim.
still today the teams that I organize with say that they cannot bring 8 players, but we find subs for eachother so that we can get to play. this is just not possible with MLG rules.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2014, 11:33:43 am »
What if the teams signed up as individuals and shared the account? They could work the individual ladder with all the substitutions they need. From what I hear MLG is chronically adverse to doing work unless there is a lot of money involved. We probably got the same one size fits all system they have for Madden football and Counterstrike. Muse has spoiled us by listening and addressing our concerns. We can't expect all companies to work at their level.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2014, 11:38:42 am »
What if the teams signed up as individuals and shared the account? They could work the individual ladder with all the substitutions they need.
now that's a really ugly workaround. No, I'd rather not use MLG.

Offline swimfan

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2015, 11:20:34 am »
what happen to mlg play i havent heard anything about ti and i cant find goi online on  the mlg site anymore what happened

Offline Wundsalz

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2015, 11:48:26 am »
we've had one tournament (the rob and dan invitational) which took place a couple of months ago. To my knowledge MLG has not been used by anyone in our community before or after that event.

Offline swimfan

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2015, 09:55:27 am »
i meant what happend why isnt goi online listed on there website at all anymore i thought mlg gaming was going to be a big thing but i guess that never happened if the community only did one tournament and its not on there website anymore.

Offline Wundsalz

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2015, 01:33:16 am »
While I haven't monitored what's going on on MLG and why GoIO was removed, my best guess would indeed be inactivity. Why should they keep dead sections on their site?

Regarding why it wasn't used, I think it was seen as an unnecessary overhead as one can simply schedule scrims without it and MLG requires some extra effort to set things up. Furthermore MLG has got very strict roster rules. Every time you setup a scrim you need to state which 8 people will play on that date and only those are allowed to play (+1 substitute which also needs to be nominated on signups, I think). If you don't show up with exactly with these guys, you've lost the scrim - even if your team has got other players ready to substitute. This contradicts the spirit in which most clans run their team in GoIO. Most teams have got a standard crew with ship-build specific role assignments. However it's always possible someone can't show up for the event on short notice and you very well might want to field a different substitute for a gunner position than for a main-engineer position. Overall we treat our teams similar to soccer teams - while we can only field 8 players per match our teams consists of way more players who are more than just bench warmers. MLG is way to focused on individuals for GoIOs needs in that regard.
Last but not least I'd like to mention that the MLG site UI is a pest. The very basics e.g. inviting/accepting new players to a team feel like a messy workaround.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:35:12 am by Wundsalz »

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2015, 02:00:34 am »

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2015, 02:07:26 am »
Can confirm, being in charge of getting people signed up/organizing a team for an MLG tourney was a nightmare

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2015, 04:35:50 am »
here is what happened:

MLG was initiated by aleyeska.
however aleyeska at some point dropped out of the entire thing, basicly destroying his own work of months with mlg https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4858.0.html

after that Leto held his invitationals of which MLG did not uphold their promises of helping the teams get set up on their website. This ended with leto saying that he is considering not working with MLG again.

furthermore after this they apparently must have dropped out of their deal with MUSE games where they were supposed to host a big goio event, like some sort of season 2 I think, but that never happened.

Now lets go back to the beginning and talk about why MLG never got started, and why it never will get started.

When MLG was announced it was a big push from a few members of the community who wanted more serious play and money prizes. this in itself is an ok thing to want for a game that you play if you are into those things.
However between goios competitive clans you see only 1-3 teams at anytime practicing hard for things like this. (rydr is pretty much dominating everything now). Currently there exist no competition that can beat them and most other clans are casual/semi active. - this is however a vague reason.

the bigger reason lies in the amount of effort we as team leaders/ team members had to put into this change. First off MLG required all of us to sign up on their insanely confusing website in order for them to show interest back. Basicly all goio clans had to sign up for mlg or they wouldnt even bother doing anything.
In order to sign up we had to use a 3rd party website which in itself is unneeded in goios small competitive scene.
other than that you could kiss goodbye to using subs from other competitive teams, since they would be locked to their own teams. - doesnt work well in a 8vs8 scene like goio.

lastly a lot of us felt like the 2 MLG people who were making the rules for their system etc. Had no clue what goio was about. All the things that were developed by the community over months of organizing were disregarded for a new and worse rule system.

When we talk about things like this I dont blame MLG for dropping out in any way. Goio is a great game and all, but it is in no way developed with a competitive scene in mind.
We are still missing key features like ingame pausing, more spectator slots for referee/casters/organizers. All sorts of things needed to run a competitive event smoothly.
A lot of us have asked for these things for a long time, but it doesnt seem to be on the board of things in development.
So if you want to play competitive its going to stay like it is now. there is not enough teams or tools for organizers to do bigger things.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2015, 07:29:56 am »

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2015, 11:28:37 am »
Honestly, there just isn't a large enough playerbase to justify MLG. It was a cool thing to get accepted in the first place, but sometimes both sides realize it just ain't worth it.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2015, 11:46:59 am »
Honestly, there just isn't a large enough playerbase to justify MLG. It was a cool thing to get accepted in the first place, but sometimes both sides realize it just ain't worth it.

I'd actually like to say I disagree with this... The playerbase is there, its the people in the playerbase interested which is not.. Their are hundreds of incredible players who could cut the cookie and build a team, but the effort required to do so makes it more frustrating Tha it has to be, and that's before you take into account the needs of everyone to register to a third party as mentioned above..

Which is why I like Ryders efforts to encourage newer and smaller clans to get involved in the competitive scene, its a step towards the MLG player base growing. :)