Author Topic: If you were a Game Modder.  (Read 35413 times)

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
If you were a Game Modder.
« on: June 21, 2014, 02:33:34 am »
So consider a fictional world (a world like this one but a bit more steampunky) where you are an elite programmer with awesome game modding skills and you can provide your own modded GoIO servers for people to play on.

What Guns of Icarus Online Mods would you make?

For me, I would start with a ship + gun randomiser server as an entry point into modding.  For fun I might also try disabling vertical movement on the Water Hazard map for a classic ocean ship battle.

What are your ideas?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 02:35:11 am by ramjamslam »

Offline Riggatto

• Salutes: 60
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: If you were a Game Modder.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 04:11:37 am »
I'd probably just go crazy adding costumes/skins/weapons of characters  from other games
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 04:25:05 am by Riggatto »

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 04:51:08 am »
Weapons with interesting ballistics. Boomerang behaviour; rockets spinning in a helix; maybe something with projectile lift instead of drop - stuff like that. Also  I'd alter the harpoon, letting it reuse the plastic toss model which is currently only used for rams, to tow enemies (and maybe friends alike).

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 08:12:33 am »
GOIO 1.1 mode...mod to end all mods right there.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 04:57:49 pm »
I would make some changes to how navigation works. The aim is to shrink everyone's sphere of perception, placing a lower emphasis on positioning/map control and a higher emphasis on brawling.

- Remove the drums, or make them only start after you take enemy fire. NO MORE FREE AMBUSH PREVENTION.
- Minimap only shows your position, not heading. (circles not arrows). This actually makes the compass useful and add navigating as a skill.
- Rectangles from spotting only last 10-ish seconds, even if you still have LOS. No more ship names for spotting. This prevents boring gameplay of blind-firing at rectangles.
- After a spot expires, there's a 5-ish second grace period in which you can't be spotted again. This is to help people escape behind clouds.
- Spyglass no longer puts enemy ships on the minimap.
- Rangefinder can now spot, rangespotting puts enemy ships on the minimap. (like spyglass used to)

Now, these are all nice changes that buff agressive brawlers, so reactive snipers might be feeling a little sad. To make them slightly less sad I would give them fog goggles. https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,2876.msg51582.html I haven't really thought much about the goggles yet, but it would be easy to make them overpowered.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 11:36:11 pm »
I would make a mobula variant that does barrel rolls and has 5 heavy weapons... along with a heavy fire-based weapon...
4 lumberjacks with arc together on that... "YEAH, TRY GETTING CLOSE NOW, PUNY BLENDERFISH!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 05:35:50 am »
GOIO Hardcore

Friendly fire would be on with all weapons, Only spy glass and communication would be still in the game, no indicator how much damage was done or taken,
also i would remove arming time, and change the maps to time based so a day-dusk-night cycle

-Remove hud
-Remove cross hairs 
-Remove map
-No Drums
-Voice only works a certain proximity but it is for everyone so be careful when you say,

Offline Riggatto

• Salutes: 60
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 05:56:33 am »
One idea that just popped into my head the other night.

What if there were a giant turret mounted on the ground or in a tall tower. The GOI ships had to blow up the guy on the turret before he shot them all out of the sky. His turret would be massively OP, but he'd be 3/4v1.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 06:56:40 am »
Sky Whales.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 07:39:50 am »
Another thought I had is to have physics buffed everywhere - to crazy levels.  That means, ascending and descending are much quicker, when your balloon pops you fall extremely fast and when you hit a mine you fly to the other side of the map! :D

Offline MacBen

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 10:44:35 am »
biplanes.
small target fast as a squid, armour made of paper, 2 man crew and restricted to 1 gattling gun OR 1 short-range medium weapon with an horrible firearc that deals explosion damage. the air-air torpedo :)
multifunctional engines that works as a baloon and can't be set to 0 or negative acceleration.

that way I could split up a 4man cew from the lobby into 2 airplains in modded games.
adding a more newbie/causal friendy toy that delivers the  flying , shooting and team coordination part of the game but with a lower crew coordination/micromanagment requirement.

Not sure what fraction of a kill they should be woth in a deathmats, but noon said that a mod needs to balanced from the start ^^

Offline vyew

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 01:23:16 pm »
New maps, even if they are just cut from the current maps

New new maps: Cave map, volcano map, super mountainous map, map that has a day/night cycle, map that takes place inside a storm, hurricane map

New environmental hazards (to go with the new maps):
Heat/fire hazard (sets fires on ship+direct fire damage)
Electric hazard (disables components temporarily, prevents them from being repaired)
Darkness (as in, need flares to see, not just to spot through clouds), Hurricane Winds (big damage to hull)

New ships: Ship with 2 front heavy guns, ship where the entire crew is meant to be shooting guns almost all the time (not like the Spire/Mobula where the pilot shooting is often optional), ship with an actual heavy weapon (I.e., the ship IS the gun)

New guns:
Heavy Gatling: Does the damage of 2 gatlings at greater range and accuracy, but with terrible screen shake. Has infinite ammo and instead operates on an overheat mechanic. Overheating doesn't immediately disable the gun, rather it does increasing self damage+fire stacks as long as the gun is used in overheat state.

Heavy Flamethrower: Like the flamethrower turret from Multiwinia. Uses overheat mechanic.

Burst fire assault rifle-type light gun: Piercing and shatter damage, with less piercing than the hades, 2 bursts to disable a light gun, 3 to disable an engine/medium weapon.

Actual flak gun, with airbursting rounds

New game modes: Throw in the standard ones from other competitive PvP games (e.g. VIP, juggernaut, bounty, FFA etc) plus some creative ones (still thinking about them)

Ironsights for all weapons so that proper no-hud can be achieved.

More music!

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 12:21:55 pm »
I would make a Cthulhu mod where instead of airships the players would be flying demonic bioships. Instead of using plumbing tools to fix repair points the player would have to use prayer beads, scrolls, and chalk to maintain summoning circles. The ships themselves have the same layout only be made of bone, tentacles, gass bladders and pulsating tumors instead of metal, rope, canvas, and engines. The canned voice commands would also come across as a little more deranged. I would add new outfits to match the Cthulhu theme.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 02:25:23 pm »
Hamster, that would be glorious.

Offline vinhuman

• Salutes: 0
    • [PCHS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 03:45:10 am »
I would make some sort of 'hardcore' mode. Maybe the map would be disabled or more limited (similar to some of the above suggestions about marking ships, their facing on the map, etc.).

In this mode I would make damaged objects more difficult to repair... and repairs might not be 100% effective. Currently, the ship has its own health once the hull is down. It would be sort of like this, but for all weapons/objects. Weapons could be permanently knocked out, or at the very least permanently reduced in effectiveness. A crippled ship might be forced to only approach from a certain angle and change its strategy entirely because some weapons/engines could be permanently disabled over the course of the game. This might also work better with no respawns, in a sort of last man standing kind of game ( 4v4 or so).

However, given lower ship health a damaged ship could still be deadly. Furthermore, taking 2 ships on by yourself would be theoretically more possible if you managed to dodge some shots. Right now 2v1 is pretty much always a death wish.

The game could very well be worse with these modifications, but it would be interesting to try out the mode and would take a lot less work than some crazy full overhaul type mod.