Author Topic: Fellow Ex-Gunners Of Icarus Lend Me Your Ears!  (Read 240782 times)

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Fellow Ex-Gunners Of Icarus Lend Me Your Ears!
« Reply #210 on: June 21, 2013, 03:58:28 pm »
I guess I really like the variety of options I have when I have multiple rounds.

All about play style, right? You are an engineer after all.

This is why I love GoIO. "I don't feel like flying or shooting today... GUESS I'LL BEAT ON STUFF WITH A HAMMER" <3

Offline Moriarty

• Salutes: 18
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 22, 2013, 08:47:59 am »
Oh sure, I agree 100% that a gunner is necessary on a heavy gun. I made that clear a few posts ago. This discussion is more about light guns.

I cant agree as a bona fide expert on all things heavy flak i can tell you this isnt true, and i imagine that's the case with a few of the others.

anyway that's not why i decided to post. I had an idea about loch shot. namely how to reintroduce it into the game and buff gunners in the process.

So for context loch shot does essentially 250% damage (it adds 150%) and that's kinda awesome. So awesome they had to nerf its utility and cripple it in other ways.

WHY? because it was an all the times thing

My idea would be to let it act like normal rounds (still only firing one at a time) but give you a finite number of shots with it, lets say 3.

Its prolly not worth it for an engi to take, but a gunner has free slots. 

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 22, 2013, 08:58:05 am »
Oh sure, I agree 100% that a gunner is necessary on a heavy gun. I made that clear a few posts ago. This discussion is more about light guns.

I cant agree as a bona fide expert on all things heavy flak i can tell you this isnt true, and i imagine that's the case with a few of the others.

Sorry, I should rephrase that. On a lone heavy gun (Spire or Goldfish) and on the second heavy gun set on a Galleon, you're much better off bringing a gunner. Obviously you've shown that an engi can shoot a flak perfectly well, but if you were firing one on a flakfish you'd get more out of it by being a gunner.

So for context loch shot does essentially 250% damage (it adds 150%) and that's kinda awesome. So awesome they had to nerf its utility and cripple it in other ways.

WHY? because it was an all the times thing

My idea would be to let it act like normal rounds (still only firing one at a time) but give you a finite number of shots with it, lets say 3.

Its prolly not worth it for an engi to take, but a gunner has free slots. 

Interesting idea, but I can't think of many guns that would benefit from that. The merc, the heavy carronade, and the heavy flak seem like the main ones.

Offline Moriarty

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 22, 2013, 09:05:21 am »
Interesting idea, but I can't think of many guns that would benefit from that. The merc, the heavy carronade, and the heavy flak seem like the main ones.

My bad i should of read the context for your post. Anyway yeah it would prolly be limited to that gun selection but you know its loch so that cant come as a surprise.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 22, 2013, 12:28:35 pm »
Well right now Loch really only makes sense on the heavy flak.  I'd love for it to make a comeback, starting with going back to it's previous iteration and moving from there.

If Loch were viable again for more guns, it would definitely make a gunner more valuable.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 22, 2013, 12:44:19 pm »
Well right now Loch really only makes sense on the heavy flak.  I'd love for it to make a comeback, starting with going back to it's previous iteration and moving from there.

If Loch were viable again for more guns, it would definitely make a gunner more valuable.

Personally love loch on the heavy carronade IMHO

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 22, 2013, 01:46:30 pm »
Ahh you are right sir. Excellent for that as well.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 03, 2013, 09:16:29 am »
We could have all the guns run out of ammo and than have a gunner tool that would refill them.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 03, 2013, 11:28:29 am »
duno I've heard the arguments that guns only need 1 ammo type and that gunners are being superseded by engineers. As I understand it, proponents of the philosophy look on the buff hammer as a multi tool for tweaking limitations with piloting tools and weapons.

I always crew with a gunner and always plan around him having three ammo types, because that's how I believe the game was intended to be played. Not because I'm a purist, but simply put if you start counting on unintended features you will find yourself relying on a set of skills that can be made redundant by the next update. I point to the death of dual sniper pyras, buffed flak fish, all artemis junkers as illustrations.

Offline Moriarty

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 04, 2013, 05:07:42 am »
Much like cookies, other ammo types are a sometimes thing.

tl;dr

Engi OP - Shink to blame.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #220 on: August 04, 2013, 08:46:22 am »
Much like cookies, other ammo types are a sometimes thing.

tl;dr

Engi OP - Shink to blame.
I disagree. Cookies, like gunners, are an always things. When do I not want cookies?

Offline Moriarty

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 04, 2013, 09:13:46 am »
Sometimes what you want isn't what you need.

I'll let the main man explain it, with a little help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH9IO6iMO78

Just replace cookie with gunner etc...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:17:27 am by Moriarty »

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 04, 2013, 10:03:12 am »
Keeping with the food based metaphors - sometimes you glug down an energy drink when what you really need is a balanced diet.  |O>

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 04, 2013, 10:06:59 am »
Engineers are less like energy drinks, and more like some kind of protein/vitamin pills. They might not have the same draw as food, but they give you everything you need more efficiently.

(except for piloting, but that's debatable on some ships)

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 04, 2013, 02:43:51 pm »
Engineers are less like energy drinks, and more like some kind of protein/vitamin pills. They might not have the same draw as food, but they give you everything you need more efficiently.

(except for piloting, but that's debatable on some ships)

And like most vitamins, too much can kill you. And without any fat, you'll die. And too much protein can give you kidney stones.

Yay, metaphors!