Author Topic: Call for Gunner Ammo Ideas  (Read 185143 times)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: Call for Gunner Ammo Ideas
« Reply #180 on: July 01, 2014, 12:15:15 pm »
After watching lets play videos of GOI I think nerfing the vanilla ammo will be extremely newbie unfriendly. Many of these videos feature gunners shooting vanilla ammo even when they have enough time to preload. Since these lets plays are done with a group of friends who are also newbies there are no vets barking orders at them to swap ammo types. Even in my own games I have noticed powder monkeys keeping Vanilla active in the face of repeated requests to change ammo. With Vanilla being in the state that it is in I can work with sub optimal gunners. However if vanilla were significantly worse I would become very angry at gunners who did not do their job. Also if AI were to still use vanilla this would be a significant nerf to pilots who start the game without crew. We spend enough time in lobby as is.

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 01, 2014, 02:26:04 pm »
I understand your point, but I think the "steam rolling spawns" would be negated by the fact that captains always have multiple spawn points to choose from, and most wise captains spawn farther away to give crews prep time anyway. Spawning right on top of an enemy and instantly unloading a Hwatcha would not be an option because a gunner would have to load it first, so it removes the factor of having a fresh ship suddenly pop into a fight from thin air.

Besides, I think loading guns would simply be an extension of the normal "rolling into battle" prep that happens: pilot flies, engies buff or spanner out kerosine damage, gunners run around loading their guns with preferred. It just changes it from a option to a responsibility.

Of course, after a gun is used, it never will stay empty: the last shooter will load their first ammo as soon as it empties or reloads.

In all, any problems from starting with empty guns can be solved with minor changes to player strategy.

I still think it would be a very unfriendly play style for newer players as captians often spawn close to the enemy causing the steam rolling, plus a galleon can take up to 2 min to load all its guns if they are done one at a time so if you were fighting a gold fish or squid on dunes in a galleon regardless of where you spawn they will spot you and close the distance fast and a new gunner might not be able to load enough guns in time to fight back, again causing serious steam rolling.

then there are issues with the king of the hill game types where the captain is going to burn kerosene to get to the point fast leaving the engineers busy and the gunner to load and again certain ship types have to many guns space to far out to be able to load in time to be in a good fighting condition. This would just end up making certain ships unusable in king of the hill.

I find the idea of guns spawning unloaded adds way more problems than it fixes.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 02:32:15 pm by SirNotlag »

Offline DJ Tipz N Trix

• Salutes: 20
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 06, 2014, 01:48:24 pm »
How about Lightweight Ammo?

+100% rotation speed
+50% projectile lift
+30% clip size
-25% damage

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 07, 2014, 01:27:56 am »
Now, I rather doubt this random idea of mine is even possible, but I figured I might as well throw it out there. Is it possible to make "Charged Rounds" actually "charge"? For example:

For every 1 second the gun with Charged is not firing, it builds up a Charge. Each Charge increases the damage of the gun by X% (let's say 5 for this example), to a maximum of 60% (again, for example purposes, but probably somewhere between 40% and 80%). Each shot costs 1 Charge for every 50 damage the gun deals (for weapons that deal less than 50 damage, it costs 1 charge per shot). It only gains charges 10 seconds after the last shot fired.

This creates a lot of front-loaded burst damage that drops as a battle goes on, and requires time to build up again. This makes it more suited to hit-and-run tactics, or as a "first volley" type ammo, before switching to something a bit more useful in prolonged combat.

As I said at the start though, this was just a random idea that seemed interesting in my head, and I figured I might as well throw it out there.

Offline Kestril

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 07, 2014, 11:45:36 am »
A  little late to the thread, but here's some suggestions on ammo types

Point Blank Ammo
+50% Primary damage.
Projectile disappears when it reaches it's arming time.
Projectile Deals no secondary damage.

The thinking is that this ammunition gives the light flak/heavy flak/hades some usefulness when the enemy gets inside their arming time. Likewise, it's not an ammo type the engineer would take, but it adds some versatility to the guns which have this ammo.

Tracer ammo
Enemy hit with this ammunition is spotted.
Hit Clouds are lit up for the life of the projectile.

-X% damage
-X% clip size.

A good ammo to spot ships. I'd mine point with this ammo. Again, this ammo is all about the utility. An engineer would not usually take this because it's not required, only nice to have.

Freezerburn Ammo
Deals X% more damage to components that are chemsprayed. 
If a gun loaded with this ammunition is fired while chemsprayed, the gun takes X damage while fired.
(again, adds some utility to shut down clever chem-spraying engineers).

(Alternatively)
Converts hit components that are chemsprayed to X stacks of fire 
If this gun is fired while chemsprayed, it converts the chemspray to X stacks of fire. 

Overload Shot
Deals X% more damage to components that are buffed.
Ignites component s that are buffed with X stacks of fire.

If a gun loaded with this ammunition is fired, it ignites the gun with X stacks of fire.
If a gun loaded with this ammunition is fired while buffed, it takes X damage.

This adds some utility to gunners and gives a clever captain and gunner the tools to shut down a buffed ship. It also gives some need for corrdination "don't buff, loading Overload/Freezerburn. ammo" In short, it gives options.

Offline Milevan Faent

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 07, 2014, 11:49:31 am »
A  little late to the thread, but here's some suggestions on ammo types

Point Blank Ammo
+50% Primary damage.
Projectile disappears when it reaches it's arming time.
Projectile Deals no secondary damage.

The thinking is that this ammunition gives the light flak/heavy flak/hades some usefulness when the enemy gets inside their arming time. Likewise, it's not an ammo type the engineer would take, but it adds some versatility to the guns which have this ammo.

Tracer ammo
Enemy hit with this ammunition is spotted.
Hit Clouds are lit up for the life of the projectile.

-X% damage
-X% clip size.

A good ammo to spot ships. I'd mine point with this ammo. Again, this ammo is all about the utility. An engineer would not usually take this because it's not required, only nice to have.

Freezerburn Ammo
If a gun loaded with this ammunition is fired while chemsprayed, the gun takes X damage while fired.
(again, adds some utility to shut down clever chem-spraying engineers).

(Alternatively)
Converts hit components that are chemsprayed to X stacks of fire 
If this gun is fired while chemsprayed, it converts the chemspray to X stacks of fire. 

Overload Shot

If a gun loaded with this ammunition is fired, it ignites the gun with X stacks of fire.

This adds some utility to gunners and gives a clever captain and gunner the tools to shut down a buffed ship. It also gives some need for corrdination "don't buff, loading Overload/Freezerburn. ammo" In short, it gives options.

We already have the first in Dev App right now. Aside from the Tracer ammo, I don't really think these are good ideas. A counter to chem-spray will just be taken on every ship that uses fire as their primary source of damage, and will basically make fire OP and Chemspray useless. A VERY bad idea. And something that interacts with Buffing will likewise make BUFFING underpowered as well. Both of these ideas are too problematic I think.

Offline Kestril

• Community Ambassador
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 07, 2014, 12:04:07 pm »
I don't agree.  It's opportunity cost. You get the ability to maybe shut down chemspray, but you give up keeping the gun immune to fire and extra damage from buff/charged/whatever. The gunners need some niche and autonomy and need to be able to do what the engineer can't. Those ammo types fill that role, and are too niche for an engineer to take.

Although, I don't think it will make fire OP. To pull off a freezerburn/fire combo would take about as much coordination or more coordination as a gat/mortar. Rmember, the gunner would have to aim at specific components.  Furthermore, the  gat/mortar kills outright, while the fire just disables. As of now, I've got no reason (other than for fun) not to take a gat/mortar or hadies/flak pryamidion, but with these ammo types, I could see running a carronade/flamer or even the banshee with a anti-chem gatling gun.

Also, I'd welcome a gunner ammunition which can help midigate or counter engineer tools. It gives the gunner some usefulness and a distinct role.

If you're worried about damage, maybe it could look like:

Freezerburn Ammo
If a gun loaded with this ammunition is fired while chemsprayed, the gun takes W damage while fired.
-Y% secondary damage.
While loaded, this gun takes Z% more shatter damage

Where X > Y

(Alternatively)
Has X% chance to converts hit components that are chemsprayed to X stacks of fire.
-Y% secondary damage. 

Overload Shot

-Y% secondary damage.

Where X > Y.

Also how does it make buffing underpowered when buffing can be applied to engines/balloon/hull as well? I don't get how one ammo type can make the entire buff tool underpowered. It's not like I'll tell my squid crew "don't bring the buff hammer, the gunner is bringing freezerburn."
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:18:19 pm by Kestril »

Offline Milevan Faent

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 07, 2014, 12:44:37 pm »
I don't agree.  It's opportunity cost. You get the ability to maybe shut down chemspray, but you give up keeping the gun immune to fire and extra damage from buff/charged/whatever. The gunners need some niche and autonomy and need to be able to do what the engineer can't. Those ammo types fill that role, and are too niche for an engineer to take.

Although, I don't think it will make fire OP. To pull off a freezerburn/fire combo would take about as much coordination or more coordination as a gat/mortar. Rmember, the gunner would have to aim at specific components.  Furthermore, the  gat/mortar kills outright, while the fire just disables. As of now, I've got no reason (other than for fun) not to take a gat/mortar or hadies/flak pryamidion, but with these ammo types, I could see running a carronade/flamer or even the banshee with a anti-chem gatling gun.

Also, I'd welcome a gunner ammunition which can help midigate or counter engineer tools. It gives the gunner some usefulness and a distinct role.

If you're worried about damage, maybe it could look like:

Freezerburn Ammo
If a gun loaded with this ammunition is fired while chemsprayed, the gun takes W damage while fired.
-Y% secondary damage.

Where X > Y

(Alternatively)
Has X% chance to converts hit components that are chemsprayed to X stacks of fire.
-Y% secondary damage. 

Overload Shot

-Y% secondary damage.

Where X > Y.

Also how does it make buffing underpowered when buffing can be applied to engines/balloon/hull as well? I don't get how one ammo type can make the entire buff tool underpowered. It's not like I'll tell my squid crew "don't bring the buff hammer, the gunner is bringing freezerburn."

Okay, let me point something out you seem to be missing. On my Flamethrower x3 Squid, I load up 3 Engies with your Freezerburn Ammo. Suddenly, what was meant to basically be a counter to my ship just became a massive target that my ship probably eats alive. In one case, I just buffed my damage with 0 downsides. In the other, I just destroyed their anti-fire protection and probably just destroyed them with easy. A flamethrower can EASILY hit an entire ship on its own. Any ammo that can be used to counter the Engineer can be made OP with large-AoE weapons.

As for the Buffing being UP, I was referring to your other ammo which interacted with Buffing. If I see even a single buff hammer on the enemy team, I immediately ask my Gunner to bring your Overload Shot, and suddenly that ship can be eaten alive by my Flamers. Doubly so if they also have Chemspray and the gunner brings Freezerburn as well. I can counter 2 enemy engineers with just 1 Gunner, effectively discouraging the enemy from bringing those tools. Why would you bring something if it will just make it easier for your ship to be killed?

That said, following the pattern Ammo is going with based on Dev App (at least for the moment), a more appropriate penalty to the ammo you're suggesting would be a straight up -% to all damage, and a big one, like -50% or more. Then, the +% would be something like +80% or even +100% against the specific conditions. This means you use this ammo, and the gun is worthless against anything but it's specialized target. Still don't think it's a good idea to have ammo that interacts with tools that are either absolutely necessary, or already kind of rare, depending on if you're talking about chem or buff.

Offline obliviondoll

• Salutes: 26
    • [BSky]
    • View Profile
    • obliviondoll's blog (barely-maintained)
« Reply #188 on: July 07, 2014, 12:57:14 pm »
I can think of a better way to balance those counter-buff and counter-chem ammo types.

Freezerburn Ammo
Adds 1 fire stack per X seconds remaining on Chemspray effect
Deals -25% damage with -20% (at least - maybe worse) fire chance

Overload Shot
Deals -66% damage
Deals +300% damage (applied to already-modified damage value, totals up to +25% from normal damage level) to buffed parts

That way, it would make the weapons far LESS effective for general use, so you'd have to rely on their use specifically against the tool they counter.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 07, 2014, 01:17:08 pm »
Freezerburn Ammo
-Y% secondary damage.

Liking this alot. It doesnt need the "If chemsprayed itself takes damage".
This is a very good tool to counter attack versus chem spraying. Forcing for a more proactive play with the chemspray itself.
This is a really neat idea!

Offline Kestril

• Community Ambassador
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 07, 2014, 02:20:28 pm »

Okay, let me point something out you seem to be missing.

Put some chemspray on those fires, man. Deep breaths. I didn't mean to come off as confrontational, so I apologize if I did.

On my Flamethrower x3 Squid, I load up 3 Engies with your Freezerburn Ammo. Suddenly, what was meant to basically be a counter to my ship just became a massive target that my ship probably eats alive. In one case, I just buffed my damage with 0 downsides. In the other, I just destroyed their anti-fire protection and probably just destroyed them with easy. A flamethrower can EASILY hit an entire ship on its own. Any ammo that can be used to counter the Engineer can be made OP with large-AoE weapons.

So, the flamethrower balance is a separate issue altogether (I think they got buffed in the most recent patch), so I understand your concern. But you still do have some downsides, Your ship has to get close and stay close in order to be effective, and lacks anything but disabling power. Also, I'd like to add that this is an idea thread. I wasn't claiming that the weapon was perfectly balanced as suggested. I just wanted to convey the concept of an ammo type which has a niche use against chemspray. 

As for the Buffing being UP, I was referring to your other ammo which interacted with Buffing. If I see even a single buff hammer on the enemy team, I immediately ask my Gunner to bring your Overload Shot, and suddenly that ship can be eaten alive by my Flamers. Doubly so if they also have Chemspray and the gunner brings Freezerburn as well. I can counter 2 enemy engineers with just 1 Gunner, effectively discouraging the enemy from bringing those tools. Why would you bring something if it will just make it easier for your ship to be killed?
It's a risk/reward sort of thing. Captians now have to ask, Is buffing worth making that part more vulnerable to a very specific ammo type? It's those questions that have no clear answer which make the game fun to play! Note that it doesn't make the ship easier to be killed, it just makes the parts easier to disable.

That said, following the pattern Ammo is going with based on Dev App (at least for the moment), a more appropriate penalty to the ammo you're suggesting would be a straight up -% to all damage, and a big one, like -50% or more. Then, the +% would be something like +80% or even +100% against the specific conditions. This means you use this ammo, and the gun is worthless against anything but it's specialized target. Still don't think it's a good idea to have ammo that interacts with tools that are either absolutely necessary, or already kind of rare, depending on if you're talking about chem or buff.
I'd agree that a strait up damage penalty would be more appropriate.

Although,as a general note I would like to see more ammo that increases/decrease the damage taken from certain ammo types. It could allow for another level of interactivity and complexity for high-level play. For examples sake, lets say charged increased the damage taken from shatter. So, when I pilot hears that "charged" effect (and maybe sees some sort of projectile trail indicating charged ammunition), they could quickly instruct their crew to bring the shatter damage on that component. I say that just as an example.

I disagree about your last point. I for one do want to see some more interactivity with your opponent's ship. Niche ammo is what gunners need to distinguish themselves from gungineers:

Quote from: awkm
Theoretically, coming up with ammo types that are more niche means that players will need to take advantage of the the additional gunner slots. 

And it's what muse wants to see too :)

I can think of a better way to balance those counter-buff and counter-chem ammo types.

Freezerburn Ammo
Adds 1 fire stack per X seconds remaining on Chemspray effect
Deals -25% damage with -20% (at least - maybe worse) fire chance

Overload Shot
Deals -66% damage
Deals +300% damage (applied to already-modified damage value, totals up to +25% from normal damage level) to buffed parts

Yeah, this is probably more in-line with the purpose of the ammo. Thanks!  I'd probably give the freezerburn ammo a little bit of lessened projectile speed (and thus a range penalty), just to make sure you have to get even closer with that flamer, and maybe a clip-size decrease.

I might lessen the overload shot to -50% damage, but it's often better to nerf, THEN buff. Because It's hard to distinguish the purpose of a weapon/ammo when it starts off as OP.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 02:27:27 pm by Kestril »

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #191 on: July 07, 2014, 02:52:23 pm »
Just saying hi.

Some interesting things going on.

Offline Neithrantulre

• Salutes: 8
    • [KNEE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 08, 2014, 12:42:50 am »
Tar Ammo:
-100% damage
When your shots airburst, they create Tar Smoke clouds

White Phosphorus rounds
like Tar Ammo but starts fires instead of straight damage, probably more powerful, closer range?

useful on explosive guns when the enemy is out of range but approaching. Gets gunner on metamidion off the gatling occasionally.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 12:44:48 am by Neithrantulre »

Offline Milevan Faent

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 08, 2014, 01:02:20 am »
Tar Ammo:
-100% damage

White Phosphorus rounds
like Tar Ammo but starts fires instead of straight damage, probably more powerful, closer range?

useful on explosive guns when the enemy is out of range but approaching. Gets gunner on metamidion off the gatling occasionally.

... Your Phosphorus rounds don't really make any sense. We already have Incendiary.....

Offline obliviondoll

• Salutes: 26
    • [BSky]
    • View Profile
    • obliviondoll's blog (barely-maintained)
« Reply #194 on: July 08, 2014, 01:05:57 am »
Tar Ammo:
-100% damage

White Phosphorus rounds

... Your Phosphorus rounds don't really make any sense. We already have Incendiary.....

I think he wants airbursting incendiaries that leave a lingering cloud of fire.

The size or duration of the cloud should depend on the radius of the weapon's AoE so it's not possible to load a Flamer up with Tar rounds and spit out insane amounts of death clouds everywhere.