Author Topic: Sky League Tipping Thread  (Read 76850 times)

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
Sky League Tipping Thread
« on: March 20, 2014, 12:56:25 pm »
Similar to the Flotsam Dynasty Campaign and Cogs, we posted Tipping here for the Sky League Tournament.

For each match, we predicted the winner and the score. One point was be awarded for correctly guessing the winner of a match (regardless of who the loser was), plus 0.1 points for the correct score (if both winner and loser were correct).

The winner (N-Sunderland) was awarded a costume of their choice from the store.

Tipping ran on a week-by-week basis.

Ending Standings
N-Sunderland
-
Alistair MacBain
-
Allien'
-
redria
-
Sammy B. T.
-
Mr. Ace Rimmer
-
Thomas
-
Captain Smollett
-
Levi Mann
-
Mattisamo
-

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

History:
March 22, 2014:
Group A:
-Match 1:
Zill's Merry Men
def
Fancy Teamkillers
on
Paritan Rumble
5-4
-Match 2:
Serra's Sentinals
forfeit to
Holy Celestium
on
Duel at Dawn
0-0
-Match 3:
Holy Celestium
def
Zill's Merry Men
on
Northern Fjords
5-0
-Match 4:
Serra's Sentinals
forfeit to
Fancy Teamkillers
on
Canyon Ambush
0-0
-Match 5:
Fancy Teamkillers
def
Zill's Merry Men
on
Battle on the Dunes
5-0

Group B:
-Match 1:
Sky Invading Rhinos
def
Sacrilege
on
Duel at Dawn
5-2
-Match 2:
Crimson Sky Riders
def
Overwatch
on
Battle on the Dunes
5-4
-Match 3:
Crimson Sky Riders
def
Sky Invading Rhinos
on
Paritan Rumble
5-3
-Match 4:
Overwatch
def
Sacrilege
on
Canyon Ambush
5-3
-Match 5:
Overwatch
def
Sky Invading Rhinos
on
Northern Fjords
5-1

March 29, 2014:
Group C:
-Match 1:
Glowwater Thralls
def
The Art of Warfare
on
Northern Fjords
5-0
-Match 2:
The IRIS Fleet
def
The Clamour
on
Canyon Ambush
5-3
-Match 3:
Glowwater Thralls
def
The IRIS Fleet
on
Duel at Dawn
5-0
-Match 4:
The Clamour
def
The Art of Warfare
on
Battle on the Dunes
5-4
-Match 5:
The Clamour
def
The IRIS Fleet
on
Paritan Rumble
5-4

Group D:
-Match 1:
---
def
---
on
Northern Fjords
0-0
-Match 2:
The Mandarins
def
---
on
Duel at Dawn
0-0
-Match 3:
The Mandarins
def
---
on
Canyon Ambush
0-0
-Match 4:
---
def
---
on
Battle on the Dunes
0-0
-Match 5:
---
def
---
on
Paritan Rumble
0-0

Group D (Revised):
-Match 1:
Museosaurs
def
Mothers against Clockwork
on
Northern Fjords
5-0
-Match 2:
The Mandarins
def
Museosaurs
on
Duel at Dawn
5-0
-Match 3:
Museosaurs
def
Mothers against Clockwork
on
Canyon Ambush
5-0

Group E:
-Match 1:
Mad Hatters
def
The Cupcake Bandits
on
Canyon Ambush
5-0
-Match 2:
Black Flight Squadron
def
VOLWe
on
Duel at Dawn
5-1
-Match 3:
The Gents
def
Mad Hatters
on
Paritan Rumble
5-2
-Match 4:
The Gents
def
Black Flight Squadron
on
Northern Fjords/Duel at Dawn
4-3
-Match 5:
The Cupcake Bandits
def
VOLWe
on
Battle on the Dunes
5-4
-Match 6:
Mad Hatters
def
The Cupcake Bandits
on
Canyon Ambush
5-0
-Match 7:
Mad Hatters
def
Black Flight Squadron
on
Duel at Dawn
5-4

April 05, 2014:
Match 1:
-Game 1:
Overwatch
def
Fancy Teamkillers
on
Northern Fjords
5-2
-Game 2:
Overwatch
def
Fancy Teamkillers
on
Canyon Ambush
5-1
-Game 3:
---
def
---
on
Battle on the Dunes
0-0

Match 2:
-Game 1:
The Clamour
def
Museosaurs
on
Duel at Dawn
5-1
-Game 2:
Museosaurs
def
The Clamour
on
Canyon Ambush
5-2
-Game 3:
The Clamour
def
Museosaurs
on
Battle on the Dunes
5-2

April 12, 2014:
Match 1:
-Game 1:
The Gents
def
Overwatch
on
Duel at Dawn
5-4
-Game 2:
Overwatch
def
The Gents
on
Northern Fjords
5-4
-Game 3:
Overwatch
def
The Gents
on
Canyon Ambush
3-2

Match 2:
-Game 1:
The Mandarins
def
Glowwater Thralls
on
Paritan Rumble
5-0
-Game 2:
The Mandarins
def
Glowwater Thralls
on
Battle on the Dunes
5-4
-Game 3:
---
def
---
on
Northern Fjords
0-0

Match 3:
-Game 1:
Crimson Sky Riders
def
Holy Celestium
on
Paritan Rumble
5-1
-Game 2:
Crimson Sky Riders
def
Holy Celestium
on
Canyon Ambush
5-0
-Game 3:
---
def
---
on
Duel at Dawn
0-0

Match 4:
-Game 1:
Mad Hatters
def
The Clamour
on
Duel at Dawn
5-4
-Game 2:
Mad Hatters
def
The Clamour
on
Northern Fjords
5-0
-Game 3:
---
def
---
on
Paritan Rumble
0-0

April 19, 2014:
Match 1:
-Game 1:
The Mandarins
def
Overwatch
on
Northern Fjords
5-0
-Game 2:
Overwatch
def
The Mandarins
on
Duel at Dawn
5-4
-Game 3:
The Mandarins
def
Overwatch
on
Paritan Rumble
5-2

Match 2:
-Game 1:
Crimson Sky Riders
def
Mad Hatters
on
Northern Fjords
5-4
-Game 2:
Crimson Sky Riders
def
Mad Hatters
on
Canyon Ambush
5-1
-Game 3:
---
def
---
on
Paritan Rumble
0-0

April 26, 2014:
Finals:
-Game 1:
The Mandarins
def
Crimson Sky Riders
on
Northern Fjords
5-0
-Game 2:
The Mandarins
def
Crimson Sky Riders
on
Paritan Rumble
5-2
-Game 3:
The Mandarins
def
Crimson Sky Riders
on
Canyon ambush
5-2
-Game 4:
---
def
---
on
---
0-0
-Game 5:
---
def
---
on
---
0-0
[/quote]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 12:18:56 pm by Shinkurex »

Offline redria

• [OVW]
    • View Profile
Re: Sky League Tipping Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 01:11:20 pm »
Assuming no one minds me posting mine first...

A1: Merry Men def. Fancy Teamkillers 5-2
A2: Holy Celestium def. Serra's Sentinals 5-4
A3: Merry Men def. Holy Celestium 5-1
A4: Fancy Teamkillers def. Serra's Sentinals 5-1
A5: Fancy Teamkillers def. Holy Celestium 5-2

B1: Sky Invading Rhinos def. Sacrilege 3-2
B2: Overwatch def. Crimson Sky Riders 5-4
B3: Overwatch def. Sky Invading Rhinos 5-2
B4: Crimson Sky Riders def. Sacrilege 5-1
B5: Crimson Sky Riders def. Sky Invading Rhinos 5-1

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 01:48:00 pm »
Yes, I love me some baseless speculating! Let me get to it!

The maps are here btw
http://pastebin.com/v4cm4NAr

The 3 match is the 1 seed for the bracket and the 5 match is the 2 seed.

A1 Paritan Rumble
A2 Duel at Dawn
A3 Northern Fjords
A4 Canyon Ambush
A5 Battle on the Dunes

A1 ZMM beats FTK 5-3
A2 Holy beats SSnt 5-2
A3 ZMM beats Holy 5-2
A4 FTK beats SSnt 5-0
A5 FTK beats Holy 5-4

You have to give props to the Merry Men, they are one of the oldest teams in this scene and have conistently made a name for themselves as skilled players. Also as I've never seen the Sentinel bros and see they appear low level I have them beaten out quite handily but that is quite speculative. Both Holy and FTK are a bit of an unknown for me but I know their leaders are experienced players and I am sure their teams reflect that.

Onto bracket B

B1 Duel at Dawn
B2 Battle on the Dunes
B3 Paritan Rumble
B4 Canyon Ambush
B5 Northern Fjords

B1 SAC beats SIR 5-4
B2 CSR beats OVW 5-3
B3 CSR beats SAC 5-3
B4 OVW beats SIR 5-3
B5 OVW beats SAC 5-3

This is probably the most balanced of the brackets and therefore could really go anyway. While SIR is a very skilled clan I've just not seen them as a full clan terribly often recently in the competitive scene. However they boast very skilled players and of late they've been doing due dilegence of practicing. However Tropo has really been buckling down on SAC and getting them extremely competitive and with their match being on Duel at Dawn, it will be scrappy and messy, something that probably favors SAC.

On the other side we have OVW facing off against CSR. These are two powerhouses. OVW has developed an impressive aggressive disable play style that helps break coordinated teams. They're unconcvential but effective, showing that Pyras and Squid definitely still have a strong presence in competitive. They can also bring a Galleon with some effectiveness. However I have to give the edge to CSR because those guys are just crazy talented. They specialize in countering their opponents builds, out brawling or out sniping depending on the map and opponent.

I have to then give the next win to CSR over SAC. Paritan Rumble will be Lueosi's playground and while it will be an awesome game, CSR will probably come out on top

I have OVW beating SIR for the same reasons I listed for the SAC/SIR game, SIR may be out of practice which is a dang shame that this had to be bumped to single elimination.

Finally OVW vs SAC on Northern Fjords. While both are great teams, I think OVW will have an advantage with the spacious area of Northern Fjords that will remove some of the scrappyiness factor of SAC.

Regardless, the first week will be awesome!

Offline Mr. Ace Rimmer

• Salutes: 31
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 01:50:10 pm »
Edit: Gonna have a go at explaining my speculation, like Sammy did with his bets.

A1: Merry Men def. Fancy Teamkillers 5-0
A2: Holy Celestium def. Serra's Sentinals 5-2
A3: Merry Men def. Holy Celestium 5-3
A4: Fancy Teamkillers def. Serra's Sentinals 5-4
A5: Holy Celestium def. Fancy Teamkillers 5-4

A1. Teamkillers to me are a complete unknown and as with Sammy, I rate the MerryMen as one of the best in the business. (They were excellent opponents and great sportsmen in the Flotsam Dynasty campaign.) I know on the day, things can and do happen. Hell, Overwatch surprised everyone in the Flotsam so maybe TK will here but, I'm calling this as a MM shutout.

A2. This is going to be interesting and could go either way but I'm giving this one to Celestium. The sentinels will prove tough opponents but Thomas knows the game very well and I am sure has imparted his wisdom to his team.

A3. For all I've hedged my bets on above, I['m giving this to Zill's team for the reason listed in A1. Unlike A1 though, I don't see this as being a shutout.

A4/A5. If these do turn out to be the matches, they will be very close. I flipped a coin to call who would win and who would lose. All told, this will be a good group to watch just to see how the newer clans work out.

On to group B. In soccer (football for us Euros) this would be referred to as a group of death. Any team on their day at their best could win this.

B1: Sky Invading Rhinos def. Sacrilege 3-2 (After 10 minutes overtime)
B2: Overwatch def. Crimson Sky Riders 5-4
B3: Overwatch def. Sky Invading Rhinos 5-3
B4: Crimson Sky Riders def. Sacrilege 5-3
B5: Crimson Sky Riders def. Sky Invading Rhinos 5-4

B1. I see this being a sniping match showing off some of the more interesting facets of the tactics available in this game. Although I think it will be sniping that doesn't mean I think it will be boring. SIR may not have been around much recently but it does contain some amazing players. SAC are consistent and have some of the best in the game playing for them. It's going to be tight, expect fireworks.

B2. First things first, CSR are an amazing group and have shown consistently that they know how  to fly, they know how to counter but most of all that they know how to adapt. This will be a very exciting match but I have to give it to my guys and gals but only just mind you.

B3. Should Sir beat SAC and OVW beat CSR then match three should be a classic. Both teams will know exactly what is on the line and will fight tooth and nail to get through as the number one seed. Again, this will be a close one but I think OVW will take this, especially given recent experience gained vs the Ducks. Overwatch are on the rise again and if they bring their A game they are going to be tough to beat.

B4. I've given this to CSR based on track record. SAC sure has hell wont go down without a fight but I don't think they'll be able to beat CSR for the reasons mentioned above.

B5. Tough call this one but again, CSR are an incredibly strong team. I would be highly surprised if they did not make it through this first stage to the Tournament proper.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 02:17:51 pm by Mr. Ace Rimmer »

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 02:02:56 pm »
A1 ZMM beats FTK 5-3
A2 Holy beats SSnt 5-1
A3 ZMM beats Holy 5-2
A4 FTK beats SSnt 5-0
A5 FTK beats Holy 5-4

B1 SIR beats SAC 5-3
B2 CSR beats OVW 5-4
B3 CSR beats SIR 5-3
B4 OVW beats SAC 5-2
B5 OVW beats SIR 5-4

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 02:09:33 pm »
xD I feel a little hurt at these predictions.

A1: MM Def. FT 5-3
A2: Holy Def. SS 5-0
A3: Holy Def. MM 5-4
A4: FT Def SS 5-0
A5: MM Def. FT 5-3

B1: Sky Invading Rhinos def. Sacrilege 5-4
B2: Overwatch def. Crimson Sky Riders 5-3
B3: Sky Invading Rhinos def. Overwatch 5-4
B4: Crimson Sky Riders def. Sacrilege 5-3
B5: Overwatch def. Crimson Sky Riders 5-4

Offline redria

• [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 03:15:29 pm »
xD I feel a little hurt at these predictions.

<3

I have to give Merry Men an edge in most matchups, and as a Ryder, I have to give Lochnagar's FTK a leg up based on association with CsR. I don't think I've seen either Holy (full team in competition) or the Sentinals (at all) before, so benefit of the doubt goes to the teams I know better. :)

Group B is a tough one. I have B1 going into overtime finish because... Well, I'm not sure. And Duel at Dawn makes it even less likely. But oh well.
OVW and CsR... I don't see CsR missing out on the rest of the tournament, so one of the B seeds had to go to them somehow. Battle on the Dunes will be an interesting battle. I am interested to see how it turns out. But I don't want to have to beat both SIR and SAC to get through the group stage, so I'm giving the win to OVW. ^.^

Thomas, I'm excited to see you guys in competition. I hope you make it through so I get to fight against you too. >:)

-edit-
FYI for anyone newer, you don't have to explain your choices. Just seems fun if you are interested. ^.^
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 03:18:32 pm by redria »

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 03:35:21 pm »
Totally agree with redrias Explanation for Bracket A.

Bracket B however is kinda hard.
Havent seen SIR or SAC to active in the recent tournaments so i kinda have to guess a bid more than i would want.
I give it to SIR cause i think they are generally more practised atm.
CsRy vs OVW is a hard one.
Havent seen OVW to often atm but i still think they are practised enough to give CsRy a hard challenge.
I still tend to the ryders for the win.
On paritan i think ryders will have a harder time but i still think they get the win.
OVW has the edge over SAC i think. They wont get a clean sweap imo but they get a relative decisive win.
OVW vs SIR is a similiar story but SIR will make it harder for OVW i think.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 05:06:58 pm »
A1: MM def. Teamkillers 5-4
A2: Holy def. Serra's Sentinels 5-0
A3: MM def. Holy 5-2
A4: Teamkillers def. Serra's Sentinels 5-0
A5: Teamkillers def. Holy 5-1

MM's experience will get them the first seed, but Fancy Teamkillers seem like they have a lot of potential, and will give them a run for their money. I expect Holy Celestium to be pretty solid, but it won't quite be enough to progress. When they face Fancy Teamkillers on Dunes we might see a brawl build vs. a sniper build (just a guess), which won't end very well for them. And Serra's Sentinels probably won't pull off anything spectacular, since they appear to be pretty green and are facing some strong opponents.

B1: SIR def. SAC 5-2
B2: CSR def. OVW 5-0
B3: CSR def. SIR 5-2
B4: OVW def. SAC 5-0
B5: OVW def. SIR 5-3

SIR may be a bit rusty, but Wundsalz and Phelan are great with close range Pyras and should be able to pull it off on Duel at Dawn against SAC. Next, I think that CSR will take double Mobulas against Overwatch. I think that OVW is one of the best teams out there, but it's almost impossible to counter that double Mob on Dunes. After that, CSR should be able to overcome SIR, with one point in their favour being that they've competed a whole lot more lately. OVW can likely beat SAC (SAC is good, but I rate OVW very highly when they're at their best), and they will probably also take down SIR (could be a close match though).

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 07:21:37 am »
first mentioned team will have their score posted first.
example: Fancy Teamkillers vs Merry Men - 2-5 means mm wins with 5 kills over temkillers 2.

Bracket A:
-Match 1: Fancy Teamkillers vs Merry Men - 2-5
-Match 2: Holy Celestium vs Serra's Sentinals - 5-0
-Match 3: MM vs holy - 5-2
-Match 4: teamkillers vs serras sentinels - 5-0
-Match 5: holy vs teamkillers - 5-3

match 1:
Merry men is a powerhouse, they have grade A teamwork. They know that patience is a virtue and that mistakes comes from being too bold. They have a wide variety of setups that will annoy and dominate other teams, so edge to MM in this game
The fancy teamkillers I know nothing of other than its Rydr who have put together a second team. This have the potential to have the newcomer potential, but in this match experience means more than the general skill of each individual of the team. If teamkillers can work out grade A teamwork before the matches, they might have a chance.

match 2:
Holy celestium is led by Thomas a higher experienced pilot and leader, they have the newcomer potential, but they also need to work on communication. From what I have seen ingame so far I know that they have been working with advanced flanking maneuvres and focus fire, but I have also seen severe miscommunications that have led to bad engagements. They have been practicing more and more this month and I believe they have the edge since they have the greater experience.
serras sentinels I know nothing about, so saying something that I know nothing off would be a waste of time, they can only surprize me and I would love to be proven wrong and see a newcomer potential.

match 3:
 mm wins witht heir superior experience. What I have seen from Zill and Socks these past months I have to give them the win of the entire bracket. They have really moved from less activity to becoming active and really awesome.

match 4:
Teamkillers win due to their skill level being higher. (atleast I think so)

match 5:
Holy wins and here is why. Teamkillers consists of good good players, but they are also a very new team. I have only seen the pilots play with the pilots from CsRy and I believe that Holy has the bigger advantage in that they have had longer time to prepare. Mark my words though it will be a close game as it is on dunes.

Bracket B:
-Match 1: Sky Invading Rhinos vs Sacrilege- 2-5
-Match 2: Crimson Sky Riders vs Overwatch- 3-5
-Match 3: overwatch vs sacrilege- 5-2
-Match 4: rhinos vs CsRy- 2-5
-Match 5: sac vs CsRy- 3-5

match 1:
Sacrilege have been practicing harder and harder, they have started to become a competitive entity and about a month from now they will be one of the teams you will fear having being put into your bracket. Rhinos have been doing collaboration teams these past weeks, although wundzals is a great leader and crew controller I fear that SAC's practice with their teammembers will prevail, and thus they will take the match.

match 2:
Overwatch will take this one. Overwatch have been playing for a long long time and they are pros. So far I have seen CsRy do some amazing bait and switch work, however this is battle on the dunes and its going to be hard for them to do advanced flanking and tricking overwatch.
Hillerton of CsRy also have a severe disadvantage at this point, lueosi have been missing for a few days and we are all a bit worried if something happened to him. But this is the truth though and Hillerton have had to take decisions based on the team and train up a new pilot to play alongside him.

match 3:
paritan rumble! overwatch have shown their superior strategies on this map several times. They are insanely mobile and will break into any sniping or attempt to play a medium range fight. SAC however have very skilled gunners who will be their best bet at winning this match. The key will be to stay mobile and get the first engagement in the lower parts of the map, however I still believe that overwatch have the more experienced in this map.

match 4:
canyon ambush, this is hillertons playground. although Lueosi is missing this is where CsRy is at home where they can flank and trick the enemy team. Rhinos will have some serious challenges and they have to position themselves perfectly if they want to avoid being pincher maneuvred. also being agressive vs CsRy usually ahve the unfortunate outcome that the attacking team gets focus fired down very quickly.

match 5:
fjords is the thralls favorite map, there are so many possibilities of flanking through clouds and so on. however to talk about the 2 teams meeting here! CsRy knows that controlling the archway is key to deciding where the enemy have to go. this might turn into a trenchwar medium range map and this is where the double pyras that CsRy is superior to high hanging junkers or galleons, the ability to switch from sniping to brawl will come in handy. SAC will probaly run their galleon + pyramidion, however the problem with running galleon is the low trenches in the fjords, so breaking enemy balloon with lumberjack more than often results in the enemy just ducking into cover.

this is a possible way that this could end up going, I'm looking forward to seeing which one of us have the best guess on this.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:24:18 am by Skrimskraw »

Offline Tropo

• Salutes: 31
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 07:23:47 am »
I BET SACRILEGE WILL HAVE A EPIC AND FUN TIME

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 07:27:04 am »
redria have you talked to muse about possible tipping prizes?

Offline redria

• [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 08:15:59 am »
Nope! I just knew there was a tipping thread for the Flotsam Dynasty, and now that I'm active on the forums I wanted to participate in one. But there wasn't one. So I made it.  8)

But is that a thing? Should I find someone from Muse to ask about it?

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 09:35:05 am »
Nope! I just knew there was a tipping thread for the Flotsam Dynasty, and now that I'm active on the forums I wanted to participate in one. But there wasn't one. So I made it.  8)

But is that a thing? Should I find someone from Muse to ask about it?

Im pretty sure they can give you some costume keys for the winner, theya re pretty large with this.

Offline GreyTea

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 54
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 09:44:36 am »
Il raise the question, and get back to you redria :)