Author Topic: Press Start Community Guns of Icarus Tournament - Sign ups extended to April 30  (Read 51767 times)

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
Holy moly, guys, turn down the dial on the elitism meter...
Elitism? What is elitist about stating the fact that a tournament between a highly skilled and a generally inexperienced team may not be very interesting? My understanding is that this is a pretty widely accepted fact in all areas of competition.
Now that it's clear the the tournament is intended to be more casual the situation makes slightly more sense. This wasn't at all clear as the OP has expressed an interest in involving the seriously competitive teams and creating videos that are interesting to watch - and the general understanding is that a competitive tournament is going to be, well, competitive. You probably won't think this is very nice but I'm not particularly interested in participating in an event where the majority of teams are hugely inexperienced and have no real interest in or commitment to competitive play.

Perhaps you're right, and there is a certain amount of elitism in competitive play. The object of most tournaments is to find and acknowledge the best teams. Most participants want to be the best and play with the best, and the viewers are watching because they want to see the game's best players face each other down in tense matches. If not, we would all play pub matches, watch pub matches and be happy with it. I don't actually see a problem with that kind of "elitism".

Where elitism is a problem is when people are being refused entry to a group (for instance in this case the competitive scene) because they are not "good enough". This is not that situation. This is a tournament where the majority of teams have no connection with the GOIO community, don't play GOIO actively or competitively and don't have any apparent interest in playing GOIO actively or competitively. I don't grudge them that, but equally I don't think they will be much fun to compete against or have much fun competitive against seasoned competitive players rather than against each other. Mixing these two rather separate casual and competitive communities with different interests and different skill levels into the same tournament does not seem like a good idea to me.

Imagine, you seem to think I am criticising the organisation of this event out of contempt or some delusion of superiority. To clarify: I'd love to see this tournament, or any new event, succeed. However, I don't feel that it necessary to refuse to acknowledge any issue or flaw that the proposal may have. Failing to point these problems out is not going to achieve any kind of resolution.
You have taken offence to the critical feedback being offered in this thread. I would counter that all good feedback on any creation is to some extent critical, because nothing is perfect. It is the unfortunate truth that in the case of a highly inexperienced creator the proportion of criticism must be higher as they have more to learn and more to improve upon.
I was actually talking about the repeated allusions that a tournament isn't a valid or good tournament unless the Ducks or Gents are involved.

Offline Hunter.

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 23
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • My Hummingbird (Anime Website)
I've mainly been standing by watching the thread go and seeing if there is anything I can input.. and finally there is! I would recommend making a whole new forum topic about this event, the comments here are getting clustered and I'm not sure about the validity of the original post, does it reflect rule changes implemented since then?

Anyway, If I were you I would remake the topic entirely. Make sure it is formatted and has a way to sign up included (assuming this is an open tournament), I would recommend making a google form for signing up, I can assist there if necessary, that way all your replies etc are instantly put into a neat little spreadsheet, to make your post clearer I would also recommend writing up a little rulebook (once again google docs is nice, due to the easiness of sharing files) with EVERY rule, so that the main post contains the basics and essentials (dates, maps etc.) but there is also a place to find situational rules (replacements, rescheduling dates etc.)

Just my personal opinion!
Cya in the skies!

Offline Allien'

• Salutes: 13
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Imagine, I wasn't try to imply that for a tournament to be good there was the need for the Ducks or the Gents. I was just saying that i found odd that all the teams in there were either new or weren't even sign up into the game. But as Velvet said, if some of the regular teams filled those remaining spots it wouldn't be much fun for everyone, specially for those teams. Don't take me wrong. I would love to see this event happening, especially because it would, most likely, bring a lot of new people to the game and maybe increase our competition level :)   

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Well the currently run Skyleage are using the same time limit rule the Sunday Rumbles and the Saturday Box Socials used.
You have a 30 minute time limit.
Once that limit exceeds the match is called a draw unless one team has minimum 3 kills.
If this is the case the match goes into overtime.
Overtime means that a 2 minute timer starts. If one ship looses armor the timer is reset 2 two minutes.
That can happen to a max of 15 minutes. In that time any team can grab the win by the usual winning conditions (5 kills).
If that didnt happen or the timer runs out the match will be called by the current score.

Urz mentioned in the 10 minute to go warning in the SAC vs. OVW game that there was no overtime.  So I think the Sky League has slightly different time limit rules than Sunday Rumble and SBS had.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Ok than i missed that. Thanks for clearing it up.

Offline ZeckPressStart

• Salutes: 0
    • [PSC]
    • View Profile
Woah guys i didn't want for any disagreements to come out. I'm considering making a new topic for this so it's clean I can include a link to this topic for any who want to refer to it. I'm liking the idea of a google doc since if you guys point out mistakes such as my putting labyrinth (a king of the hill map) instead of the death match version Paritian Rumble. (i'm pretty sure i got the right one now lol the crumbled city) With a Google doc I can go in and make minor changes without the help of a mod.

Trust me I know you guys are very competitive and I respect the dedication you all can put into a single game. I'll admit I'm not that kind of gamer I just want to play so many other games I can't dedicate my time to one game to become the best of the best. HOWEVER my reason from bringing in the people I have is that all these players are strong gamers and some of them are competitive for other games. Some of them haven't even heard of this game. The Gentleman Gamer team all of them are very competitive on games such as league of legends and such and several of them that have started playing GOIO have become kinda addicted to the game lol. They could one day challenge you guys lol. That was my goal to bring in a bunch of new players for a casual game with the competitive side of it for those who like that side of gaming. Trust me I may not be an eSports gamer but I get very competitive and I don't like to loose. I won't go down without a fight! :D while playing with the Dev Bubbles I've seen what you pro players can do and as much as it scared me and surprised me I enjoyed the challenge. I know most others may not like the challenge but like I said that's why I was curious if anyone had any new to the clan players or some new clans would like to join and get some practice in.

As for the overtime I really liked that idea of a 2 minute clock type thing to enforce the players to move forward on the tie breaker. set the match as first to 5 points or the most points after a 2 minute stalemate wins. I like the concept it prevents camping and such.

I can look into Google forms for signups didn't think of that but that would make it easy... If i have any questions i'll ask you directly thanks for offering the help!

If I do decide to make a new clean topic i'll let you all know here before I ask a mod to close it.

Offline Velvet

• Salutes: 45
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
sorry Imagine for misunderstanding you there. I agree there are many other competitive and relevant clans beyond those two.

Zeck, that post doesn't really address the concern that there will be issues with mixing highly experienced and inexperienced clans. It's not that I respect these new teams less because they don't play or intend to play a lot of GOIO. It's just that a team with little experienced the game is not going to be anywhere near on a par with the average competitive team, meaning that if the clan teams get involved the consequence will be some very lopsided and uninteresting matches.

I would suggest that if you want the majority of teams involved to be those 5 with little or no experience of the game, you either respec the event into something entirely casual, possibly going so far as to remove the notion of a tournament or elimination completely, or you deny experienced teams entry and focus on bringing in some of the newer clans who don't yet have great prospects with the main competitive events. Rebranding your event as a "Sky League for newer and casual clans" might be your better bet imo.

Offline XtremeNameX

• Salutes: 0
    • [SSMR]
    • View Profile
Hi! I sent you an email trying to sign up my team but I haven't heard anything back yet? Just wanted to make sure you have the SSMR signed up!

Offline Cl ick to Ca p t ain

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 25
    • [?]
    • View Profile
    • ṋ̟̳̪͒ͦ͑ͯ͒̓̾͌̓ͥ̐̓o̹̗̭̝̪͚͖͙̖̝̳͔̮̟͙͆ͬ̇̋͗̒ͮͭ͌ͥ̀ͩͮ̆͛ͭ͐̈́ ̝̘̟̝̥̭͔̼͓͖̘̜̦̰͒͊̒͆̃ͩ͛̋͋̎̂̊̏͆ͣ̚ͅ ͓̦̖͔̖̞̟̱͉̪͇̮̫͉̀͋̆͗̑̽̿̚ͅ ̥͍͚̣̂̈́ͪ͋̂ͥ̊ͧͣ͌̉̇̓͆ͨ̔ͤ̍ ̫͇͕̤̣̩̗͎̭̙̱͔̘̝͖̀ͭ̆͂̈́ͅ ͎̹͓̼͖̥̤̗ͦͤ̈̄̚ͅt͎̞̺̱̜̺̋̋̊͗ͬ͗ͪͩ̈ͮ̽̐̉̀̅ͫ̃h̤̺͎͖̯͈͍̲͛͂̉́̎̂̔̚ ̯̲͓̭̬̱͈̟̳͒͒̉̈̊͊ͅͅ ̘͓͈͚̦ͪ̽͑ͣ̓ͦ͊̐̿̇̈́ ͪͨ͛̌̔̽͆ͬͪ̂̐
I'd like a new thread, coming into this at 5 pages I have no idea what's going on. But I figure it's the usual "I don't like one thing about this" "you're wrong, one thing is awesome, here's a paragraph why"

We're bad about just playing the event sometimes, wanting everything to be perfect for everyone. Then there's the few that want things catered around them.

As a rule of thumb when anyone I don't personally know makes a suggestion on account of the "for the community" here I flip a coin, heads they're sincere, tails they just want things to be best for them.

Seeing as the sign ups close in 2 days though I guess it's kind of late for a new thread.

Offline Hunter.

• Community Ambassador
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • My Hummingbird (Anime Website)
I'd like a new thread, coming into this at 5 pages I have no idea what's going on. But I figure it's the usual "I don't like one thing about this" "you're wrong, one thing is awesome, here's a paragraph why"

We're bad about just playing the event sometimes, wanting everything to be perfect for everyone. Then there's the few that want things catered around them.

As a rule of thumb when anyone I don't personally know makes a suggestion on account of the "for the community" here I flip a coin, heads they're sincere, tails they just want things to be best for them.

Seeing as the sign ups close in 2 days though I guess it's kind of late for a new thread.

This really.. I have no clue what's going ons :s I'm still interested, just confused as to what's going on...

Offline SapphireSage

• Salutes: 11
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Looking at the link in the first post it seems that the tournament has been delayed, if not canceled, due to Zeck having real life issues. I hope that it picks up again though as it seems somewhat interesting.