Author Topic: Tab lock down (Patch 3.5)  (Read 43242 times)

Offline Boneses

• Salutes: 0
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Re: Tab lock down (Patch 3.5)
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2014, 03:54:10 pm »
I normally check the tab menu while I'm running around from part to part or while I'm buffing something. I like to see what we will be going up against, for example if I'm in a match and I see that there's a ship with 2 gunners I can let my captain know that they will probably be an easier target to kill than a ship with 2 engis.
I personally would rather have the mute menu separate from the tab menu. You could also make it look different than the tab menu and include spectators since there isn't a way to mute them using the current menu.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2014, 06:38:00 pm »
I'd also like to mention that I have not yet been in a scenario where I strongly felt a need to mute someone in game that I hadn't already done in lobby. While I can understand it is easily conceivable to be in a scenario where it will happen, its not terribly common. Therefore this doesn't need to be the most streamlined action if it comes at the cost of another streamlined action
I would like to corroborate this statement with some of my own insight...

Out of 2811 played matches, there are only 27 people on my blocked list. That is less than one mute for every one hundred games. In addition, almost every one of these players was on a ship other than my own, as if there is somebody mute-worthy in my crew, I will generally go to another ship or lobby. Muting doesn't solve trolls.

That's a very good point. My block list is rather empty too and I can not recall a single instance in all 3000 matches I've played so far, where I've felt the urge to mute someone in-game. Those few guys who managed to get an entry on my block list due to their vocal gibberish, accomplished it in the lobby already.

My biggest problem with the block/mute feature is that, unless I didn't notice a sudden change, muting and blocking are one and the same. There are plenty of people that I block just because I don't want to have to deal with listening to them. It is bad, but sometimes you just can't listen to the squeaky voices, or the over-amped microphones, or the music/echo/etc. I don't necessarily want to block said people. Just not audibly hear them. It would be sort of nice to have distinct options.

This is a good point as well. The block-feature is currently misused for purposes which have probably not been intended by muse.
I personally use the blocklist for the following purposes:
- block people which annoy me via voice or written text
- mark people with outstanding underperformance.
- sometimes I mute kids as they open their mouth. Not because of childish content, but just because I'm not in the mood to listen to kid-voices.
- sometime I'm not even remotely interested in discussions going on via voice chat and mute people participating in those.
- I occasionally mute people like geo, who play music in lobbies.

Taking the wide range of uses for the blocklist into consideration it might make sense to diversify it a bit. I'd like to be able to distinguish between voice-chat-mutes and entire communication blocks including text-chat. Also I wouldn't mind to see a block system distinguishing between temporary blocks (e.g. for boring discussions and tedious voices) and permanent ones reserved for people I actually never ever want to meet in game again.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 06:40:17 pm by Wundsalz »

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2014, 01:31:48 am »
I <3 my blocklist. Don't even have to bother dealing with some players, just block and...sweet silence....ahhhh...

As far as the ingame lockup goes with tab. Doesn't really matter to me. I don't check often enough and when I do I'm not doing it in combat. A quick glance for a moment doesn't do anything to me.

Offline Frogger

• Salutes: 20
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2014, 02:11:54 am »
If at all possible, please do fix this so you can still move while checking the Tab player list. It's extremely annoying if you're trying to do a quick check to see if you or an opponent has dropped a crew member, or something like that.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2014, 05:18:21 pm »
So is there going to be any movement on this. I find this amazingly and annoyingly disruptive.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2014, 01:48:22 pm »
I guess im one of the few who don't see this being a big deal.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2014, 06:45:37 pm »
I thought I would be able to get used to this but it turns out I look at the match list whilst repairing/shooting etc.  I will often watch components and hull go down and come back up in the top left of the screen, then refer to the match list to see which enemy ship had repaired.  This is mainly for the hull and heavy guns being repaired.  For me, I still want to be able to turn the ship/repair the hull/shoot the heavy gun back down while I have the match list is open.

If you don't let me view the match list while still being active on the ship, we need better indication for when the hull and heavy weapons come back up on enemy ships.  We have the little black feathers that fall off the ship when the hull goes down now, we need something similar for when it comes back up.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2014, 06:38:29 pm »
I am used to check the scoreboard from various other games and that habit just kinda followed me to here. Every other (possible) reason to press TAB has already been mentioned.

Another game handled this by adding a key which you had to press while holding down the tab-key in order for the input on that screen to change to "menu" mode.
This idea has already been mentioned thrice in this thread and I approve of this.

However, I do feel as if the "mute"-thing should really be seperated from actual blocking. As said before if some chill guy plays music and you don't want to hear it, you block him, but then this guy can't even communicate with you per chat anymore either and this can turn into a potentional lack of teamplay. (Does somebody hear your voice commands when said person blocked you?)
Example:
He/She is your captain, the other 2 want to hear the music, but you can't stand it -> block. Congratz, since you are not listening to your captain anymore, you might as well leave the match! (Unless you know what you are doing and the captain isn't doing some special tactics that nobody gets)

Another thing I don't like is that blocking actually removes the person from your friend list. If music guy is playing music again, but you don't want to hear it, but still actually don't want to remove him from your important friend list, mute him instead of blocking him.
But then again, this is only a thing for lazy people, since you can just re-add him or tell him to stop outright and as a friend he might actually listen.

This game is still awesome.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 06:57:26 pm by Dementio »

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2014, 03:34:46 am »
I do find this annoying for reasons already stated because I was used to checking through the scoreboard for new crew mates or what ships are doing what etc... But I don't find it so annoying that it has to be changed, I've pretty much already (mostly) broken the habit of holding tab.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2014, 05:24:14 pm »
I would like to mention this is still a thing and not yet have I needed to mute someone in match that I hadn't already done in lobby.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2014, 06:28:30 pm »
I haven't use this feature to mute people in game so much as black list captains who leave mid game. Any captain who abandons their ship/crew after their first death is a captain I don't want to fly under. By the time the match is over there is no record of deserter. So I like the in game block feature so I can flag the offending player while they are in the disconnect phase. If they return before the end of the match I unblock them in lobby. It would be nice to have a separate mute and unfriend list, but I hold no hope of getting that feature.

I may have blocked some decent people who had connection issues at one point or other. The community is small enough that if I see a friend flying with a blocked player I can ask about the friend's opinions of the blocked player and unblock them if the friend's opinion is favorable.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2014, 09:17:40 pm »
Why do we need to be able to block people on other ships in-game?
Why encourage MORE blocking In a game that is about communication and cooperation?

In the VERY RARE instance that we desire to block someone, it will already be done in the lobby, and you won't notice if someone does something block worthy on another ship.
I'm sure this system is more abusable than useful. I bet certain other captains will just block me if i'm trying to communicate, because they don't want to hear what i have to say.

It really makes me sad that Muse put time in effort into a feature than no one wanted, and is detrimental to the spirit of the game, while at the same time there is a plethora of bugs they could have worked on instead.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:20:28 pm by Dutch Vanya »

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2014, 10:03:24 pm »
I have experienced a captain asking newer players on a ship to jump on certain guns or repair certain parts over others etc. and the newbies end up blocking the captain in game so they can do what they want without communicating.  This feature seems to only be abused by people who don't care about the teamwork aspect of the game.  In this instance I was engineer crew and had to try to relay information through text chat to the crew members from the captain.

Offline Tropo

• Salutes: 31
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2014, 02:15:17 am »
sounds troubling ram i have seen that happen to a friend too wonder if it was the same one lol

i have also had to remove people from my block list due to i have been blocking people in game a lot when i have try to tab while playing

in a game with the need to communicate so much make little to none sense to have anyone blocked

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2014, 08:46:03 am »
This is starting to grate on me a bit as well. Initially I didn't mind, but in a game where not being active leaves your ship (and therefore team) basically dead in the water, having tab prevent your motion and actions is a killer.

You have the nice new feature where you can see the level of a player in the tab overlay. Too bad I never get to use this new feature because I can't safely use the tab overlay.

The overlay is nice just for that instantaneous reminder of who and what you have on both teams. To make it practically inaccessible to active players while adding the ability to reduce communications in a game dependent on communication seems absurd. Like people have been saying, we don't really need to block people in game. Heck, we should be avoiding blocking people. It makes it very difficult to play the game if you just block people.

At the very least it would be nice to have an option somewhere to turn this off. I don't want to block people in game. I just want to check the scoreboard - the actual reason for the existence of the overlay - without having to run my ship into a wall because control was taken from me.