Author Topic: "Expert" HUD-less mode  (Read 17414 times)

Offline Jazzza

• Salutes: 16
    • View Profile
    • Website
"Expert" HUD-less mode
« on: March 14, 2013, 01:47:07 am »
I suggest a new mode that can be enabled per user or per match/game/server: an expert (or "realistic") HUD-less mode that completely removes the HUD in-game (and in the case of a match with this option enabled - your enemies and allies too).

It'd make you much more aware of your ship layout and will force you to continuously check each component rather than "cheating" and looking at your HUD. You'll also need to track your ammo, just like you would in real life. I know it'll make things 200% harder, but for realism nuts like me, it'd be pretty fun.

Also easy to implement: remove the HUD. Forcing it in matches would require some more time, of course.

Thoughts?

Offline Phoebe

• Salutes: 62
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: "Expert" HUD-less mode
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 01:56:11 am »
Falling off the ship no longer respawns you until the ship has been destroyed ? :P

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 02:04:48 am »
Its an interesting idea, but I feel like it might require a lot of tweaking to get right. First off, it would render the Spyglass fairly useless, which would be a shame. It would also make selecting tools in general a tedious memorization, but that could be argued as added difficulty, I guess. Not receiving hit markers would be detrimental, as well(I've played matches where projectiles pass through the ship's model, but doesn't register as a hit. This may be due to connection issues or whatever, but its still a problem nonetheless). But I'm nitpicking. If pulled off well, it could definitely be a fun game type.

Offline Jazzza

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 03:00:17 am »
Its an interesting idea, but I feel like it might require a lot of tweaking to get right. First off, it would render the Spyglass fairly useless, which would be a shame. It would also make selecting tools in general a tedious memorization, but that could be argued as added difficulty, I guess. Not receiving hit markers would be detrimental, as well(I've played matches where projectiles pass through the ship's model, but doesn't register as a hit. This may be due to connection issues or whatever, but its still a problem nonetheless). But I'm nitpicking. If pulled off well, it could definitely be a fun game type.

The spyglass would continue to mark enemies because that's a game mechanic. I'm suggesting removing non-essential HUD elements that won't make tools/guns unusable.

Hit markers would be removed. I'm no gunner, but I do know they aren't required to shoot and in a real life battle you don't have hit markers to aid you in understanding where to hit and if you've made any damage. Physical damage would be the only indication (such as when the hull is nearly destroyed the ship's 3D model changes slightly).

Falling off the ship no longer respawns you until the ship has been destroyed ? :P

Yeah that could work but maybe that's for another thread? :)

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 04:18:07 am »
Now that's a very nice idea! Finally no waiting until something happens for the Engineers anymore, and it'd finally be of some use to tell your crew from which direction you're fired at, or expect enemy fire to be incoming any moment now.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 04:33:00 am »
Hit markers would be removed. I'm no gunner, but I do know they aren't required to shoot and in a real life battle you don't have hit markers to aid you in understanding where to hit and if you've made any damage. Physical damage would be the only indication (such as when the hull is nearly destroyed the ship's 3D model changes slightly).

Splash damage from hits is not modelled very well in the game, so comparisons to real life are limited unless the graphical model is massively improved.  Removing the hit markers would very seriously prejudice players not running the graphics at maximum setting across the board.

Hull damage animations are very obvious for most ships, slightly less obvious for a few, but these don't tell you that you've hit, theyt feedback that your shots are now dealing damage directly to the hull.

Offline Jazzza

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 06:07:22 am »
Now that's a very nice idea! Finally no waiting until something happens for the Engineers anymore, and it'd finally be of some use to tell your crew from which direction you're fired at, or expect enemy fire to be incoming any moment now.

I'm no stranger to sarcasm. You don't have to be an ass about it.

Splash damage from hits is not modelled very well in the game, so comparisons to real life are limited unless the graphical model is massively improved. Removing the hit markers would very seriously prejudice players not running the graphics at maximum setting across the board.

Hull damage animations are very obvious for most ships, slightly less obvious for a few, but these don't tell you that you've hit, theyt feedback that your shots are now dealing damage directly to the hull.

I'm half and half.

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 08:49:50 am »

Hm? I'm afraid you misunderstand me here, I was entirely serious about that one! It has been a problem for some of my engineers that over large parts of the game nothing happens, and they start to idly hop around on my helm and obstruct my view, and similarly I like to call directions aboard my ship to where we're expecting damage from. It's just that the latter isn't of any use, because we just get the hit markers and are done.

I'm really sorry I expressed myself poorly, my post wasn't meant sarcastic in any way, I support your idea!

Offline Jazzza

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 09:48:27 am »

Hm? I'm afraid you misunderstand me here, I was entirely serious about that one! It has been a problem for some of my engineers that over large parts of the game nothing happens, and they start to idly hop around on my helm and obstruct my view, and similarly I like to call directions aboard my ship to where we're expecting damage from. It's just that the latter isn't of any use, because we just get the hit markers and are done.

I'm really sorry I expressed myself poorly, my post wasn't meant sarcastic in any way, I support your idea!

Oh. It sounded really sarcastic so glad that was cleared up.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 02:29:10 am »
Always assume the glass is half full when reading something, tone doesnt translate well lol.

Anyways, love the idea myself.  I'd appreciate a "harder" experiece, as I tend to like games that are more like a meat grinder of happiness.

Offline Afanickton

• Salutes: 1
    • [BFS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 11:37:37 am »
I would prefer a button to turn off the HUD in general, I take a lot of screenshots and video of this game, and it would look as great as it does when spectating. (has hud removal options)

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 07:03:36 am »
Hit marker should stay, since more often as a gunner you have no way of telling wether a shot connected or not. It could have exploded/disspated short of the target. It could have flown between various parts ( if you are shooting the broadside of a galleon and are aiming for one of th main guns, you can fire a shot that goes in on your side and out the other side without coliding with anything on the way, becouse the weapon patform on galleons leave huge holes in the hull, just for an example) on it could just be lag issue and cprojectile flies thru enemy ship without dealing any damage.

Offline Shukketsushi

• Salutes: 50
    • [МSF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 08:50:54 am »
I think that this is a pretty fun idea. It might be more like a "Nightmare mode" for engineers, trying to gauge the status of the component when it goes from rebuild to repair. I'd probably just learn to count the swings.

Offline Wazulu

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 39
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 04:45:20 pm »
Keep the hit markers, drop the spots- teams will have to work out who's an enemy, rather than consult the spyglass. Also, don't display the score or what tool/ammo type you're using.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 07:43:53 pm »
Keep the hit markers, drop the spots- teams will have to work out who's an enemy, rather than consult the spyglass. Also, don't display the score or what tool/ammo type you're using.

Oh man, I just thought about no spotting for a moment. Clouds would mean something for once.