Author Topic: Official Rule Suggestion Page  (Read 46008 times)

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Official Rule Suggestion Page
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2013, 08:30:22 pm »
You win, you get a point, if the other team had a lot more points than you, you get extra points.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2013, 12:27:54 am »
I believe Keyvias stated they're removing that system.  If I understood correctly you get 1 point per week for participating, 1 point per match win and 1 bonus point per match win if you beat a team with more points.

This means you can earn 4 victory points, 1 participation point and up to 4 underdog points per week. 

Offline Keyvias

• Salutes: 83
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2013, 04:02:44 pm »
Smollett has the point system correct.

@Zill
Skirmishes don't need refs.
We just wanted to build some community guidelines into the standard tournament rules.
Any organizer can override them based on their preferences.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2013, 04:09:19 pm »
Alright that's nice to know.

I'm still wanting to hear what the point of participation points are. It just forces me to do one match a week, and can just throw together whoever in order to get it, since it's win/lose. If I don't have the want or ability to play one week, I have enough to worry about points wise without adding in freebie points as well.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2013, 04:26:49 pm »
At the end of the day, this system is going to reward teams that play a lot of matches. These points will largely reflect that. Theoretically if the Knights Sky Warriors completely shut out the points but every time the played the Anglean Sky Pirates they lost, people would know the ASP was the elite team.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2013, 04:40:51 pm »
You're going to get rewarded for playing anyway by having the chance to earn points. You don't need freebies to make everyone feel special or "elite." This is all to get into a final tourney, not determine at the end of the season who wins, else the point of the tourney is moot.

You get team x who can play only every other week, team y who can just throw crap together every week and takes the seed for the final. They lose and deny a potentially better team a chance because they could be there more. No thanks.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2013, 04:46:09 pm »
Its maximum one point per week

Offline Urz

• Salutes: 75
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2013, 04:59:03 pm »
"Those who cannot remember the past..."

Quote from: Moo
With points given for participation and winning, but not removed for losing, it does seem that a team who enters everything and challenges everyone they can, but only win some of the time, could get more points than another team who only play occasionally but usually win.
Quote from: naufrago
Seems like it's possible that a team which plays often with middling results can easily pull ahead of teams that don't play as often but soundly defeat their opponents. It seems to reward participation a little more than skill. I'm not sure I'm okay with that.
Quote from: Brick Hardcastle
Why is there this emphasis on participation for participation's sake? Paddling, Brood and a few other teams are taking the sky tournament off, but are coming back for the next season of the Cogs. This is fine. They're setting their own pace to avoid burnout. This doesn't mean they're lesser teams because of it and deserve to be treated as such by some omnipresent rankings system. I understand that organizers want to encourage more competitive play, but penalizing teams for setting a schedule that works best for them might discourage teams rather than encourage them. It actually sets a higher barrier for entry rather than a lower one, because it strongly favours teams with large player pools and/or ones willing to devote very large amounts of time to GoI.
Quote from: naufrago
Blech, sounds more like 'Intramural eSports' than a true competitive scene. Does everybody get a little trophy for participating? =]

Some hopefully useful perspective. Six months later people still arguing about flaws that existed in the original CeSports version of the system.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 05:07:54 pm by Urz »

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2013, 07:18:35 pm »

So in a four week span, team x makes 2 points, and team y makes 4, not including matches. It's a lousy way to lose a seed spot if it came to that.

Offline Captain Smollett

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2013, 09:39:10 pm »

So in a four week span, team x makes 2 points, and team y makes 4, not including matches. It's a lousy way to lose a seed spot if it came to that.

In this example a team wins one match in a month and another clan plays every week that month but unfortunately doesn't secure a win. Are you saying a 1 win team deserves the seed more than a very active team that contributes to the competitive scene every week?

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2013, 12:59:47 am »
If we want the seeding to be symbotic of skill over who can throw 8 randoms into a team each week, yes.

You also give a fairly large extreme to try to make that point.

Offline Captain Smollett

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2013, 01:11:43 am »
I used your example.  But generally speaking, if all teams compete fairly regularly that 1 point for week shouldn't make a difference.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2013, 01:13:58 am »
Then why bother adding it to give it the chance to make a difference where it shouldn't?

Offline Captain Smollett

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2013, 01:34:36 am »
For teams that actively participate by scrimming and competing.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2013, 01:39:19 am »
We really aren't to agree on this, so at this point I just hope it doesn't stay for the reasons I've given. We don't need freebie points to force people's participation and potentially alter seeding in a tournament that should consist of the teams who fought to be there, not the ones who showed up more often because they could.