Author Topic: Goldfish 1.3.3  (Read 39099 times)

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
Goldfish 1.3.3
« on: October 31, 2013, 03:08:08 am »
I know it's still early but still, here it is.

I predict a massive increase in long range disables like Artemises and even light carronades (till the Gatling gets fixed at least), both weapons very amazing at disabling heavy guns and relatively easy to shoot. It's been a pain dealing with both as a Goldfish pilot in the past, but I've managed my fair share of games without having my gun taken out every 10 seconds.

So, with the abundance of burst damage, fire and disabling power present and the last powerful gun this ship had going for it nerfed beyond what it was like in 1.2 (or 1.3.1 for those that weren't here in 1.2) and this ship is fundamentaly flawed by design with only one gun pointing at one direction and harsh bifecta angles with limited gun selection for them, I personaly at least thought that it needed that main gun to be AT least good enough to be used by itself, now well, there just ain't such a gun for me.

Question is, what do you people think of this ship now?

By the way, this is a thought presentation thread, if you disagree with someone take it to PMs, don't post it here.

Offline IvKir

• Salutes: 8
    • [CBC]
    • View Profile
Re: Goldfish 1.3.3
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 03:39:20 am »
I think it's great! Flyed a few matches with Hwachafish... and it's perfect hit-and-run support for ally kill-ship. And you can still deny successful hit with disabling build and good piloting.

Yap, it's still a pain in the ass to kill someone all alone, but i think that goldfish is not a ship-killer.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 04:30:48 am »
Disables on a goldfish are rough, especially since it just has the one big gun and two side guns. And with the gun being at the front, sticking as far out as it does, it's gunner candy; just waiting to be taken out. It just takes some fancy flying to try and avoid that as much as possible.

Personally I love the ship, I just think people don't utilize the side guns enough. For instance, if you have a hwacha on the front you can put a flamer or gatling on the side to strip the armor/disable during the reload. Turn back and blam, no more ship. You can do similar with the carronade, using a flamer, missile launcher, mortar, etc. Shooting them as they sink instead of trying to follow them down.

It's a bit harder to get weapon combos flak cannons and lumberjack, due to the angles and range needed for them to be effective. Although the side weapons can always be close range weapons, disables, etc to create an opening to get back at range.

On the other hand, utilizing just the front gun can make an excellent team support ship. Often when I play a carronade fish it's to help keep at least one enemy down and off my enemy. Sink one, then the other, keeping them off my allies back so they can finish them off. Hwacha and lumber fish can be used like that as well, keeping them disabled. While the flak or hwacha fished can be used for rapid kills once your ally takes out their armor.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 04:54:20 am »
The goldfish is in a great place right now. lowering the dps of brawlers has opened up more options for disabling ships. (what I think the goldfish is best at)

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 10:04:37 am »
The goldfish lies in a very good place.

I hate how people fly it tough, i like to treat it like a squid. Doing lots of evasions, keeping a ship down by its blind side etc. With any gun.

With the lumberjack, you can easily be all stealthy and take down baloons from flanks.
With a hwacha, you can battle it out in combination with a gattling.

And the Twin. Carronade still is good, it just got a bit of its range reduced and it is used differently.

The ship is very versitile. It shouldnt have only one viable choice like before, it is a squid with a heavy gun. Just a bit bigger, and a bit slower.
It is the best ship to be used in hard cooperation with the other ship.

Offline Devinstater

• Salutes: 2
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 11:52:00 am »
I think they should change the default ship to the Pyramidion.

The Goldfish is very hard to finish a kill on your own and communication between ships on the newbie games is very poor. Pyramidion's can seal the deal by themselves more easily.

This is my favourite ship to fly but I have been the least successful on it. Even as a crewman I've never flown on a successful one. It must be fairly tricky to use well.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 12:22:35 pm »
The only time I see the front gun being an issue is when I use my lumberfish (which I have been increasingly doing lately). I've only had one match in it since the patch, and it was against gents so they knew how to aim.

Thing is, you really have to use the goldfish's movement to get a good angle. Then you just keep up the pressure. Even with a lj, you will need to realize your gun will not stay up if the other team decides to aim at it. Getting the angles is pretty key.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 12:30:00 pm »
Goldfish usually has a spare engineer to help the gunner rebuild the front gun, so it's got that going for it.

I do think however, much like most people in GOI, that more heavy weapons would be lovely, and I certainly wouldn't hate to see another close range skill based heavy weapon.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 05:24:39 am »
The Goldfish was the default ship and beginner ship mostly for one reason, the heavy flak cannon. Before it was nerfed it made the fish a great all around ship that was good at range and CQC. I remember taking it when I first started and loving it. Friends would go Hwachafish and they'd just float around never getting kills while I'd tear it up. Then flak got nerfed and the fish just went down the crapper. Just so much of it is tied to the abilities of the bow gun.

Partly one of the minor reasons I thought up the design for the Sky Torpedo. It would be the perfect bow mount for a Goldfish. Give it some real crippling/killing power and strengthen it's utility.

Flak coming back is good, it gives the fish some strength back but it still isn't back to where it was. If its going to be like this then might as well turn the side mounts so it can get bifectas with ease. Its otherwise too weak.

Offline geggis

• Salutes: 12
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 05:35:13 am »
Gilder, do you mean heavy carronade? I thought I was the only one who couldn't get out of the habit of calling carronades flaks. I blame Unreal Tournament.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 06:37:55 am »
I like the place the Goldfish sits right now.  I've been able to manage a fair amount of versatility when working with the team and taking into consideration what weapons everyone is bringing to the table. 
With the right pilot tools matching good strategy and planning it is just a really versatile ship that can brawl, support at range, even be the ship killer. 

I'm also willing to say that it is on the medium scale of difficulty use for captains and crew.  Gunners need to be accurate, know their ammo types and switch them out fast while adapting to the current fields needs.  The position of the rear engine and balloon, in relation to the rest of the ship make it so the two other players on board need to communicate whose repairing what, or they end up overlapping one another too often.

The side mount guns definitely need to be taken into consideration more for use by the casual player, I haven't seen to much use of them in pugs.  Many captains might not have considered the utility of the side guns, favoring the big one in front as their go to strategy.  More experienced players have used the entire ship to devastating effect in the pugs I've been playing in the last few days.  More than a few blender fish have brought me low as well lol, though their attacks weren't unbeatable now or overly frustrating. 

I had to pay closer attention to my distance to, or when I'm in the Fish.  Been using some tactics I'd usually reserve for a squid on the fish as well, which has had some amusing results. 

And I'm very tired, I think my entire post might be incomprehensible.  I want/need coffee.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 07:35:37 am »
Gilder, do you mean heavy carronade? I thought I was the only one who couldn't get out of the habit of calling carronades flaks. I blame Unreal Tournament.

Nope. The Heavy Flak used to actually be the best gun for the Goldfish. The gun was really, really overpowered though, so it couldn't last.

Offline Kriegson

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 08:13:19 am »

Nope. The Heavy Flak used to actually be the best gun for the Goldfish. The gun was really, really overpowered though, so it couldn't last.
Best in the game even, on anything you could slap it onto. Gallon broadsides with the old flak -shudders-.

At any rate, in my experience not much has really changed in its usage for the mostpart. As one of the devs pointed out, balancing for the middleground I've seen most of the spectrum outside of tournaments and there's not much of a change in tactics in the mid-level. Spires of course, have to be blind-sided but are appreciably more squishy, so it comes down to who sees who first, what range and how good the gunners/loadout is. But most seem to be loading the time tested cannnonade + flamethrowers mostly and getting predictably decent results.

Though lacking in killing power, it still stands as a great disabler. Most people seem to prefer ramming for that final "umph" to finish off a weakened airship.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 08:21:52 am by Kriegson »

Offline geggis

• Salutes: 12
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 08:56:38 am »
Oh wow, that must have been during my hiatus. Nevertheless, the flak cannon in Unreal Tournament made distinguishing between the carronade and flak in GoIO a lot trickier for me! What with it acting more like a shotgun firing hot shredding shrapnel/buck.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 09:00:05 am by geggis »

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 11:28:08 am »
Most pilots I have flown with just need to work on learning gun arcs and reload times, then remember that the Goldfish has two side guns. I hate sitting on a Goldfish side gun with another ship almost in arc while their armor is down, their guns or engines are disabled... and the Hwatcha is starting a reload.