Author Topic: 1.3.3 PILOT, PILOT SKILLS, AND SHIP BALANCE  (Read 29427 times)

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: 1.3.3 PILOT, PILOT SKILLS, AND SHIP BALANCE
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 05:48:03 pm »
here is something nuts:

mobula has BIG exposed baloon = weakness
             fairly slow in a straight line = Weakness
             fair turning rate = Average
            Great vertical movement= Advantage
            Weak Armor= Weakness

what if we changed its armor and made it more like goldfish level with its super exposed baloon and terrible repair points it would be FAR from a tank but the buff COULD make it an interesting brawler, kind of like "the spire for close range"

MAYBE if we needed to we could even take its turning rate down a little bit....

Well, it's armor is actually relatively high; that withstanding I actually agree it would be very interesting to see it with an armor boost.  Even a slight boost would give it a big advantage in its alpha strike capabilities.

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• Salutes: 30
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2013, 05:55:19 pm »
i thought it had spire level armor

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2013, 06:09:34 pm »
It's a common misconception.

It has 600 armor and 700 perma hull.  The difficulty in engineering, keeping up a buff and manning a gun is often too much for the average team to handle which is why the thing seems so darned squishy.  That and the hull is nothing but a ram catcher and mortar landing pad.

More armor though would make the thing scary.  I was actually prepping a mobula for competitive play before the last major patch and almost brought one against the SIRs had they chosen different ship builds.  The thing is good now, but a bit more armor could definitely make the ship fierce.

edit - these numbers are updated and accurate http://gunsoficarus.com/gameplay/ships-3/

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• Salutes: 30
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2013, 06:12:45 pm »
It's a common misconception.

It has 600 armor and 700 perma hull.  The difficulty in engineering, keeping up a buff and manning a gun is often too much for the average team to handle which is why the thing seems so darned squishy.  That and the hull is nothing but a ram catcher and mortar landing pad.

More armor though would make the thing scary.  I was actually prepping a mobula for competitive play before the last major patch and almost brought one against the SIRs had they chosen different ship builds.  The thing is good now, but a bit more armor could definitely make the ship fierce.

edit - these numbers are updated and accurate http://gunsoficarus.com/gameplay/ships-3/

yeah i mean as is it is, it is workable for long range but i think up close the problems you listed are correct which is why i think if we buffed it for more close range options it could be interesting

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2013, 09:15:32 pm »
The thing about the mobula is that you have to know when you should be outputting ridiculous amounts of damage or repairing. It gets in with it's vertical movement and either has to finish the job or it dies. But man can it finish the job when you've got it positioned properly. You can't repair through all the varied damage types you can put out of that ship. You keep your engies on those guns until it's over.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2013, 07:04:12 am »
Lets not forget crew placement on the mobula.

When the mobula came out, it was the biggest multitool ship for me.

So if you were to place brawling guns on the RIGHT side, and sniper guns on the LEFT side. You then have engineers that are positioned to look out for their correct components.
When in Brawl, the engineer on the sniper side will have focus on the hull, while on Sniping, engineer on brawl side is then on the baloon.

Because with the baloon you can dodge sniper shots easily.

The weapon on the middle is to be used for every purpose. If you would build the mobula how i described, either an artemis or a light flak should be used on the top by the captain.
While the gunner alternates between the sniper side and the brawling side.

(Im just listing strengths here)

With this, youve got a solid mobula put in good use without too much pilot tool use.

But the mobula cant place itself higher than that. Youve got builds where the 3 middle guns trifecta for a sniping/Brawling which defeats the firepower onthe mobula because if then it gets injured, it will loose firepower because it has to sacrafice a person that just used a gun to run and repair. It is slow to react, slow to get back into the fight.
The weapons are fine but the mobula is just slow to work around with.

The mobula has to forgive somekind of aspect. Is the mobula light enough for the ship to stay in the air for longer when the baloon is down with added drogue chute than other ships? That is then a forgiving factor, can the mobula survive for just a bit longer with one man on the hull? It needs to be a more forgiving factor.