Author Topic: How do GOIO ships land?!  (Read 33902 times)

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
Re: How do GOIO ships land?!
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 12:49:38 am »
Oh look... Moffett Field... My local Airship hangar... unfortunately the covering was removed due to it being asbestos-based.

Offline NoWuffo

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 03:59:18 am »
Well, judging by Muse's adventure mode concept art, it'd be something like this...
That looks EXACTLY like what I drew.

>.>
<.<

*cough*
You probably would have a case if you took Muse to court over this!

Offline Ariden

• Salutes: 21
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 06:50:47 pm »
The only way I've landed is when an enemy kills me and the pieces of my ship (and crew) fall onto the beautiful scenery.

Offline Amras Gearcrank

• Salutes: 1
    • [MEOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2013, 04:16:08 pm »
One thing that bothers me about keeping a ship in the air while docked: If the balloon needs hot air to remain afloat (if it was filled with a light gas it wouldn't be able to sink and rise again), you'd need that energy to come from somewhere. Would the dock workers have to run around tossing coal into the engines of all the ships if the crew was out and about the town?

Maybe you could have a dock with adjustable width, to allow the two ends of a ship to land? Maybe secure the ships to a structure above them with strong rope and sort of let them hang in place? In the latter case maybe have smaller flat-bottomed air-boats to tow the crew to and from various heights of ship?

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 04:47:54 pm »
Maybe you could have a dock with adjustable width, to allow the two ends of a ship to land? Maybe secure the ships to a structure above them with strong rope and sort of let them hang in place? In the latter case maybe have smaller flat-bottomed air-boats to tow the crew to and from various heights of ship?

Based on the concept art, that is indeed the case. Two poles extend from the dock and the ship can rest on them.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2013, 06:02:15 pm »
One thing that bothers me about keeping a ship in the air while docked: If the balloon needs hot air to remain afloat (if it was filled with a light gas it wouldn't be able to sink and rise again)

This isn't true.  Hybrid airships currently alter altitude by compressing lighter than air gas into tanks and allowing air back into the cavity.  That being said, I'm sure the system works completely differently since it's super obvious that the balloons are filled with dark matter.

Offline Amras Gearcrank

• Salutes: 1
    • [MEOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2013, 11:26:48 pm »
This isn't true.  Hybrid airships currently alter altitude by compressing lighter than air gas into tanks and allowing air back into the cavity.
That seems like an inconvenient way to run a battleship with a balloon constantly being shot at and repaired, given that the lighter-than-air gas would be harder to recover than hot air, though I thank you for the insight.

Offline The Churrosaur

• Salutes: 12
    • [CsM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2013, 06:21:44 pm »
Which begs the question of why, when explosives are blowing holes in our balloons, we choose to bang on the pump with hammers.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2013, 06:54:11 pm »
One thing that bothers me about keeping a ship in the air while docked: If the balloon needs hot air to remain afloat (if it was filled with a light gas it wouldn't be able to sink and rise again)

This isn't true.  Hybrid airships currently alter altitude by compressing lighter than air gas into tanks and allowing air back into the cavity.  That being said, I'm sure the system works completely differently since it's super obvious that the balloons are filled with dark matter.

May see this touched upon in the VN. Prototype design I've been working in is there is a valve shutoff which seals the system. Keeps it afloat when docked.

If you look at some of the ship designs, it is clear they were never made to be flown without their balloons. Pyra alone should not be able to maintain it's structure without it. There is no framework that connects top to bottom other than the ladder and that isn't strong enough to hold up the armored bow.

Chaladon and Anglean I believe are the only two nations which utilize ships capable of water landings. Most traders would likely modify their ships with water landing capabilities if they expected to trade anywhere near a coast. Prototype design we're using in the VN takes this into account.

Spires I don't think are trading vessels. I think they're border defense or guard ships. The design is too slow and would require too much customization of docks. Makes more sense to me for them to be deployed around capital cities from their own custom berths. Trouble happens, all they'd have to do is fly up and start raining fire.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 08:45:19 am »
my ship will never land, it will faceplant down into the ground.

i dont think they aren't made for landing.

Offline Terrkas

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 4
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2013, 07:36:41 am »
Right, thanks.  But then, how would they get repairs done? The same dock?
Ever heard of an airship hanger?

That picture reminds me to some structeres in the Desert, that i usually fly through. And i think i allready tried to dock there or at least my gunner tried to jump down to the stage. I will take a screenshot next time.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2013, 09:09:13 pm »
You mean the ribs to the massive airship on dunes that are scattered around?

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2013, 09:11:28 am »
you mean the old TFD partyboat?

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile