Author Topic: Please, Remove Profle's Leave Count  (Read 30751 times)

Offline Van Manfred

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Please, Remove Profle's Leave Count
« on: October 15, 2013, 02:27:24 pm »

Yes. the game disconnects a lot - but I can live with that. I know it happens a lot, and I know the Muses guys are working hard on this, but there's little to do; the problem can come from sources they don't control, such as Steam or my internet provider/hook-up. Good luck and keep up the excellent work, guys.

What I can't live with, however, is the fact that a disconnection makes the Leave Count go up by one, no matter how hard you try to re-connecting. It happenned again this morning: I must have re-connected about 12 times in a single game, to find myself unable to do anything on the ship and disconnected again. I kept on re-trying this ordeal just to keep my leave Count from going up, and failed.

Now, as a result, I've got a stat on my profile that basically says "this guy ratted out on his team 2 times". As a result of the result, I hesitate to play this game, that I love and bought as soon as it was out.

My suggestion? remove the Leave Count - or make it a confidential stat, viewable only by the player. Please.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Please, Remove Profle's Leave Count
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 02:36:53 pm »
You bring up a good point regarding disconnects showing up on the leave counter.

The leave counter was a recent addition to goi and was added in order to curb the amount of rage quitters.

The rage quitting has certainly reduced a great deal since this addition; so for that reason alone I'm in favor of the leave counter existing, though obviously a new problem has resulted.  I'm not sure what the best middle ground would be.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 02:42:04 pm »
So long as your leave count is a small fraction of the total games you have played I don't think it will reflect badly on you as a player. Perhaps if leave count were changed to leave percentage people would not feel too put out by it while still shaming those who rage quit 10% of the time.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 02:42:42 pm »
The rage quitting has certainly reduced a great deal since this addition

Really? News to me, but if you insist.

Offline Captain Smollett

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 02:44:45 pm »
I haven't noticed it as much but perhaps that's just me.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 02:48:14 pm »
Yea perhaps it's just differing experiences. I do chuckle when I see a player's leave count ~75% of their total games though.

Hamster is right when a couple matches won't look bad at all on a total record that far surpasses that. I have also yet to see anyone tell someone to leave because their count was too high.

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 02:52:02 pm »
I don't check up on the credentials of those I fly with, but I can imagine people leaving a ship whose captain has a leave percentage that is too high. Any other roll leaving mid game is salvageable, but recovering from a missing captain is extreamly difficult.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 02:59:47 pm »
Look, if you've gotten booted from a game twice in a span of like 100 games played, no one is really going to blink at it. Hell, if someone says wtf, just say yeah, they were disconnects.

For those players though that are starting to inch towards like 25% of their matches having been left, you'd start being a little suspicious. Basically the point is only start worrying about that number if you really are bailing on games ;)

Offline Cid Ferringer

• Salutes: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 04:17:39 pm »
But you can't kick anyone from lobbies?
So even if it's a team of ragequitters, what can you do? Leave before it starts?

I have 4 leaves out of 129..
But I don't care about the leave count, sometimes I join the wrong game in-progress and leave, other times I get disconnect and sometimes I just quit, but usually for a good reason.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 04:23:30 pm by Cid Ferringer »

Offline Andika

• Salutes: 114
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 04:26:54 pm »
When it comes to percentages, those who've played the game for a long time have an advantage though, since counting started only since the last patch. So compared to my 1000+ played matches a few left games look ok. But those who have just started playing and left 1 out of 10 matches already have a worse percentage than I do.

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 05:09:21 pm »
I don't think leave % will be the main stat people will look at in the stat related pissing contests I have never seen in this game. The simple solution will be to play more games and leave less of them. If this is really discriminatory to people who started playing after the last patch muse could always calculate leave percentage out of the last 100 games the player was in. Thus allowing serial leavers to redeem themselves by playing 100 games without abandoning their comrades.

Offline Captain Smollett

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 05:38:22 pm »
I don't think leave % will be the main stat people will look at in the stat related pissing contests I have never seen in this game. The simple solution will be to play more games and leave less of them. If this is really discriminatory to people who started playing after the last patch muse could always calculate leave percentage out of the last 100 games the player was in. Thus allowing serial leavers to redeem themselves by playing 100 games without abandoning their comrades.

I actually like this idea

Offline Van Manfred

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 06:48:05 pm »

Sure, but I end up playing just to finish a game, instead of, say, looking for achievements. And as these problems are not, as I write this, dealt with, I always end up playing with aprehension. I fear that my "leave count percentage" will get proportionally higher if I play.

And I believe whatever's in the profile is public; One will spend a little fortune to make his avatar look good but wouldn't mind a high Leave Count? Sounds contradictory; A low Leave Count is worth much more than a spiffy outfit to me.

At the same time I recognize the need to spot out "rage quitters"... but couldn't this be linked to the use of the "abandon game" and "exit" buttons? That's how ragers will quit, instead of an accidental disconnection. What about that?

Offline Captain Smollett

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 07:18:49 pm »
Sure, but I end up playing just to finish a game, instead of, say, looking for achievements.

Wait are you saying that the leave counter is causing you to finish out matches instead of abandoning your teammates to hunt for achievements because if so that's a good thing.  If you start a match you kind of owe it to your team to finish it out. 

All in favor of keeping the leave counter say aye!

Offline Van Manfred

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 09:14:23 pm »
Sure, but I end up playing just to finish a game, instead of, say, looking for achievements.

Wait are you saying that the leave counter is causing you to finish out matches instead of abandoning your teammates to hunt for achievements because if so that's a good thing.  If you start a match you kind of owe it to your team to finish it out. 

Nah; I must have been unclear.

When I get disconnected, and manages to re-connect, the game slags so much that I'm all but useless onboard. All I experience when getting back are like stills with background music. It's terribly boring for me (far from getting achievements, I get no play at all), and I'm pretty sure an AI can do a better job on the ship in these cases, but I stick around nonetheless, in spite of being a nuisance to my team just so I won't get +1 to my leave count... and often for naught.

If it wasn't for that Leave Count, I would not try to re-connect after a few disconnections, and as a result, the ship I was on will have a full crew (even if it's with AIs) instead of being -1. I admit that for pilot, it is more difficult than that - and that's why I almost pilot no more.

Oh, and I like the paternalistic tone about achievements when it's coming from a level 14 pilot.   ;)

What about my proposition to up the leave count only on the use of the "Abandon match" and "exit game" buttons?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:38:47 pm by Van Manfred »