Author Topic: GoI Players are Rude.  (Read 29073 times)

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
Re: GoI Players are Rude.
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 01:42:12 pm »
The many that I saw that acted that way in the last huge influx with that totalbiscuit thing...Iunno...

I-I'm from the TGS Swarm....

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 01:52:34 pm »
The many that I saw that acted that way in the last huge influx with that totalbiscuit thing...Iunno...

..... Markiplier >.>
I conformed though.  XD

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 03:46:09 pm »

..... Markiplier >.>
I conformed though.  XD

I know :V

Offline Charon

• Salutes: 95
    • [RAFT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 06:41:41 am »
Natural progression of new players in Guns of Icarus Online

Join Guns of Icarus Online.
Probably go Gunner.
Fall in love with the Hwacha.
Have Hwacha used against you; declare it "OP" in the forums.
Go engineer or pilot.
Get yelled at for bringing the wrong tools, hitting the wrong components, or generally running into things.
Go on forums and tell the community that the community sucks.
General population comes out to comfort you, insists that you haven't yet actually met the community.
Meet cool people. Have a few good matches. Like the feeling.
Scream at people for bringing the wrong tools, hitting the wrong components, or generally running into things. Wonder why the newer new players are so upset.

What you're feeling is totally natural. Don't worry, you'll be on to the next phase before you know it. Stick with it!

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 07:12:10 am »
Natural progression of new players in Guns of Icarus Online

Join Guns of Icarus Online.
Probably go Gunner.
Fall in love with the Hwacha.
Have Hwacha used against you; declare it "OP" in the forums.
Go engineer or pilot.
Get yelled at for bringing the wrong tools, hitting the wrong components, or generally running into things.
Go on forums and tell the community that the community sucks.
General population comes out to comfort you, insists that you haven't yet actually met the community.
Meet cool people. Have a few good matches. Like the feeling.
Scream at people for bringing the wrong tools, hitting the wrong components, or generally running into things. Wonder why the newer new players are so upset.

What you're feeling is totally natural. Don't worry, you'll be on to the next phase before you know it. Stick with it!
Nonono, noone has ever been yelled at for bringing the wrong tools. People are being yelled at because the pilot says "spanner, mallet, extinguisher" and then finds out that guy is running around buff hammer and chemical spray. Not listening remains by far the biggest offense a new player can make.

Offline Charon

• [RAFT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 07:19:52 am »
Suggested loadout: "spanner, mallet, extinguisher"
Actual loadout: "buff hammer and chemical spray."

That's, uh...that's definitely bringing the wrong tools, man.

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 07:22:10 am »
It looks to me like im the only guy lucky enought to not have gone through what Charon has just posted. i joined with friends and learned together. they left by their own choice and i carried on clanless for a good while until captain kirk found me cold and alone in an alley :( I've heard other people talking ....flak... (i'll call it that but you know what i mean)  to others and i've stood up for them, There is only a few people on this game that i've had to block. One for being Offensive and annoying to my fellow clanmate <3  and others for just being so evil and foul-mouthed, 99% of the people playing this game are great and you can get along well with, Don't allow the 1% to ruin this amazing game for you. And when you get to the stage where you know what you're doing, try not to shout at people and instead encourage and advise them :) help get us out of the loop :)

And i run Pipe wrench buff hammer and chem spray most of the time. its a good loadout but best for gungineer :P

Offline QKO

• [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 07:23:21 am »

No, if I were not to say anything to him, I have no right to complain to my crew for having them all bring buff, wrench and chemical spray(which is still very wrong). It's the fact that I(or others) explicitly tell someone to do something and he does something else that grinds my gears.

Offline Charon

• [RAFT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 07:26:23 am »
Yeah, you're right. He didn't bring the gear you told him to bring, but somehow that's not bringing the wrong gear. Anyway, let's get back to the thread, QKO. You've got a couple other ones reserved for arguing by now, I'm sure.

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 07:29:45 am »

No, if I were not to say anything to him, I have no right to complain to my crew for having them all bring buff, wrench and chemical spray(which is still very wrong). It's the fact that I(or others) explicitly tell someone to do something and he does something else that grinds my gears.

Yeah, if you've directly asked them for a certain loadout and they completely ignore you and possibly not even tell you they don't care. THAT would definately get them a nicely advised  request then a sigh. then a black mark on my list to be wary of playing with again... i have paperback so don't think you can hide from me!!!!! xD

But obviously QKO its wrong in your eyes while in his/her eyes it might be correct. i've actually had two engies both as buffers... while i panicked at first it was fun to see every component glowing yellow with a creamy coat xD

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 09:15:06 am »
When one of my crew brings a buff hammer without my knowledge, I'm usually pleasantly surprised.

"Holy crap, we're going up so fast! Weeee!"

Offline QKO

• [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 09:19:28 am »
Yeah, you're right. He didn't bring the gear you told him to bring, but somehow that's not bringing the wrong gear. Anyway, let's get back to the thread, QKO. You've got a couple other ones reserved for arguing by now, I'm sure.
No, there's one thread for bashing me, I'd be getting something proper going there but they really don't want to.
Yeah, if you've directly asked them for a certain loadout and they completely ignore you and possibly not even tell you they don't care. THAT would definately get them a nicely advised  request then a sigh. then a black mark on my list to be wary of playing with again... i have paperback so don't think you can hide from me!!!!! xD

But obviously QKO its wrong in your eyes while in his/her eyes it might be correct. i've actually had two engies both as buffers... while i panicked at first it was fun to see every component glowing yellow with a creamy coat xD
Exactly, difference in opinions can happen. And if I didn't state my conditions at the start of the game, I have no business questioning their judgement ingame. That is why the 'wrong' loadout in itself isn't something I yell at people for, it's the fact I stated to them they should get something different and they either ignored me or (often silently) refused.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 10:38:49 am »
The buff hammer has grown more acceptable in my eyes ever since muse changed the shader system so it wouldn't give your ship away through clouds. I was pretty rude to the people who brought buff hammer on my ship prior to that patch.  Usualy along the lines of:
"Be Vewwy vewwy quiet I'm hunting goldfish, GOD DAMN IT WHO BUFFED THE ENGINES? now they can see us."

Offline Eukari

• Salutes: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2013, 06:53:31 pm »
I think you guys are being a little harsh to to some of these newer players. Yeah, a lot of people come into the game and don't really understand what it's about, but can you really blame them?

We, as gamers, are conditioned to see the individual as the basic building block of competitive play. Even on games that encourage 'teamwork,' you're still mostly playing as an individual whose actions contribute to the team. In many of those, sufficiently good performance on your own is enough to carry a team, even without a lot of explicit cooperation. And yes, in games like Call of Duty, "teams" are often just a collection of people who don't shoot at each other, and don't have to engage in any kind of collective strategy at all.

In GoIO, the individual is not the basic building block of play- the ship is. I can be the best gunner in the world, but if I don't have a captain that can point the ship at the enemy, I contribute nothing. And the best engineer in the world can only enforce a stalemate, unless/until the gunners kill the enemy. Finally, a captain is often only as good as his crew- you can lead a ship to the enemy, but you can't make people shoot them.

My point here is, if you don't know much about the game before coming, it's not that hard to see why people don't really 'get' right away just how much collective action is important in this game. Of those people, some will get good advice that they'll take to heart, becoming valuable members of the community. Some will learn a little bit on their own, and at least not be actively awful. And yes, some will refuse to learn anything at all about what makes this game different, and either make trolls of themselves (in which case you should block them) or give up and leave. And then they're not (y)our problem anymore.

Offline QKO

• [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2013, 07:42:59 pm »
I think you guys are being a little harsh to to some of these newer players. Yeah, a lot of people come into the game and don't really understand what it's about, but can you really blame them?

We, as gamers, are conditioned to see the individual as the basic building block of competitive play. Even on games that encourage 'teamwork,' you're still mostly playing as an individual whose actions contribute to the team. In many of those, sufficiently good performance on your own is enough to carry a team, even without a lot of explicit cooperation. And yes, in games like Call of Duty, "teams" are often just a collection of people who don't shoot at each other, and don't have to engage in any kind of collective strategy at all.

In GoIO, the individual is not the basic building block of play- the ship is. I can be the best gunner in the world, but if I don't have a captain that can point the ship at the enemy, I contribute nothing. And the best engineer in the world can only enforce a stalemate, unless/until the gunners kill the enemy. Finally, a captain is often only as good as his crew- you can lead a ship to the enemy, but you can't make people shoot them.

My point here is, if you don't know much about the game before coming, it's not that hard to see why people don't really 'get' right away just how much collective action is important in this game. Of those people, some will get good advice that they'll take to heart, becoming valuable members of the community. Some will learn a little bit on their own, and at least not be actively awful. And yes, some will refuse to learn anything at all about what makes this game different, and either make trolls of themselves (in which case you should block them) or give up and leave. And then they're not (y)our problem anymore.
I don't know what CoD you've been playing. But CoD4, when it was still competitive, definitely had team organisation which is mandatory. The same thing applies to CS. If players just do whatever they want in those games, the team is going to die. There is no "I'll just score 5 headshots" when your opposing team is as strong as you are.

Also, don't forget that a team consists of individuals, they usually work together to achieve a goal, or just point fingers and blame eachother. But the players still remain the most basic building blocks, Together they become a unit that control 1 ship and that ship has to cooperate with 1,2 or 3 more ships to achieve a goal. This is a very pragmatic view, which means it's correct:P Sadly, it also means that it takes on individual to weaken a full team and some weaknesses are harder to compensate for than others.

We are not harsh on newcomers. When newcomers join, they can make mistakes. But you can tell mistakes from intentional fuckups. When a player is not listening, it is not a mistake, if that player refuses to accept your advice, it is not a mistake... Disobedience is what makes a crew weak and a captain has the job to deal with those people. Sadly, to my knowledge, besides leaving and yelling there aren't many options. And so yes, yelling can seem harsh, but it's the only immediate tool available to fix any weakness within the team. It's not like I never get yelled at or get lectured on my behavior on a ship. It just happens less because I understand my role and understand my captain's responsibilities.