Author Topic: GoI Players are Rude.  (Read 28648 times)

Offline Lord Cooch

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
GoI Players are Rude.
« on: September 11, 2013, 01:58:52 am »
I just finished a game with some kid who thought he was gonna act like a big tough guy and be disrespectful to myself. I told him I hadn't played in a while so I may be a bit rusty and he called me a Troll. I asked him why he was being so rude and he said he didn't give a sh**. I told him if he enjoyed GoI he should be respectful to players in order to make it more user-friendly and gain a bigger player base as oppose to everyone being rude and watching the player base dwindle down further, reference: COD. He just told me if it bothered me I should mute him but It bugs me so much when I encounter players like this because doesn't everyone  just want to be mature and be treated with respect? The problem with this is that I have encountered several players like this in GoI Online. Needless to say I think that all players should lead by example and turn this growing trend around. I'm not saying I'm golden, because I have had a warning for using profanity but never intentionally at someone. I seriously think the community should step up their game on this one.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
Re: GoI Players are Rude.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 02:07:11 am »
So.... while sorry about you have a few bad experiences, but if you look through these forums you'll see that most people actually consider this to be one of the better communities. If you're having a problem with someone feel free to block them and move on, it's probably better than worry about it. Not really going to be able to magically turn the few a-holes in the game into something better, that's pretty much how the internet works.

My point though is don't lump everyone who plays into that category, because most here are not like it.

Offline Garou

• Salutes: 25
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 02:09:48 am »
Well, what you met was a troll, and a rare one, because he actually gave you some good advice: block him.

Most of the GoI players I encounter are pretty polite compared to other communities I could, but won't, name. That said, every community has it's trolls and jerks. Welcome to the internet.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 05:55:31 pm »
You weren't per chance in a level locked beginner lobby were you? 

User experience varies greatly there.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 08:28:02 pm »
You weren't per chance in a level locked beginner lobby were you? 

User experience varies greatly there.

Most reports I get from new players who start there are pretty bad. It is like the blocked up toilet in a wretched hive of scum and villany.

Offline Garou

• [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 10:05:04 pm »
Most reports I get from new players who start there are pretty bad. It is like the blocked up toilet in a wretched hive of scum and villany.
So you're saying it's like Detroit?

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 10:47:18 pm »
So you're saying it's like Detroit?
My French teacher is from Detroit.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 10:47:51 pm »

I'm not too sure that generalised n00b bashing gives automatic access to the moral high ground of a topic, even when done jokingly, it may give others the wrong impression that high level players are elitist and condescending.

If you discount the people who will probably not be joining the player base in the long term - there isn't really much difference between the players in the level locked matches and non.

As to the OP - the correct thing to do as others have said is just block. Most of the bad attitudes are picked up as a conditioned reflex in other games and people who enjoy that kind of interaction probably won't stay in this game .
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 11:02:21 pm by Calico Jack »

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 12:05:18 am »

As to the OP - the correct thing to do as others have said is just block. Most of the bad attitudes are picked up as a conditioned reflex in other games and people who enjoy that kind of interaction probably won't stay in this game .

The many that I saw that acted that way in the last huge influx with that totalbiscuit thing...Iunno...
Anyways, many of them left after facing the "elitists" because...well stacked teams on that matter I guess...

And the others got to level 5 acting like that, and I haven't seen many of those again.  I do remember them gloating about achievement farming....

Offline Garou

• [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 12:09:40 am »
Tell them I said "Mes sincères condoléances"

xD

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 12:18:02 am »
Tell them I said "Mes sincères condoléances"

xD

:P

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 06:41:59 am »

The many that I saw that acted that way in the last huge influx with that totalbiscuit thing...Iunno...
Anyways, many of them left after facing the "elitists" because...well stacked teams on that matter I guess...

And the others got to level 5 acting like that, and I haven't seen many of those again.  I do remember them gloating about achievement farming....

just a clarification - I don't look on high level players as being elitist.

And yes I've met a few bad pennies around the level 3-5 mark too but they don't seem to stay on in the game, given that the game culture of GoI isn't welcoming to braggadoccio and predatory behaviour.

Offline Serenum

• Salutes: 12
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 07:25:45 am »
**** you, we are not ****ing rude, you ****, ******* **** and ********** sweetroll!

I just typed a lot of random asterisks, it's a joke!

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 09:47:17 am »
**** you, we are not ****ing rude, you ****, ******* **** and ********** sweetroll!

Damn, **** just got real!

As to the topic, yes, there has been an influx of bad eggs recently. Every time someone popular on YouTube or whatever gives us a signal boost, a mass of new players hits us, often not truly knowing what they're getting into. It seems about only a third of these newer players stay and confirm to the Guns of Icarus society. The others either lose interest and stop playing, or get upset when they see they can't play well without the help of others/requires strategy.

"I bought this game, I can't pwn teh n00bs by myself, I can't pay to win, I can't farm for uber equipment, I have to actually think to play this game, I don't like thinking.... Might as well troll." - FPS tryhards.

Offline Garou

• [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 12:15:19 pm »
[...] or get upset when they see they can't play well without the help of others/requires strategy.

"I bought this game, I can't pwn teh n00bs by myself, I can't pay to win, I can't farm for uber equipment, I have to actually think to play this game, I don't like thinking.... Might as well troll." - FPS tryhards.
I think that's a valid point, and something that I see from time to time, albeit somewhat rarely. Players who think they can just charge into a ship with whatever idea is in their head, work alone, and get kills. It can be frustrating on both ends, because from our perspective, here is a player who will actively resist what strategy we give and just sort of do their own thing, and from their perspective, "WHY ARE THESE GUYS TAKING SO LONG I KNOW WHAT TO DO I GOT MY AMMO I PWN AT COD THESE N00BS JUST DONT KNOW *foams at the mouth*"

I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea. I think more often than not, however, I do see players who want to learn but they see lobbies with a lot of high numbers and they're afraid to ask questions, and I feel they get frustrated when they lose or when they don't understand what's going on in the bigger picture. I like it when a lower level player takes the ammo I tell them to bring, but I like it more when they say "Why that ammo for that gun?" I feel like I'm helping to forge a better player xD