Author Topic: Do you use any custom keybinds?  (Read 32647 times)

Offline Simplex FourOhNine

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Do you use any custom keybinds?
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2013, 02:27:53 pm »
Is there a cunning trick to setting things to the mouse wheel scroll? I tried to set acceleration to the wheel. After clicking on the bind, where it's waiting for input, rotating the wheel doesn't register - clicking the middle button does, but not the ol' wheely scroller...

Offline NoWuffo

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2013, 05:41:48 pm »
Is there a cunning trick to setting things to the mouse wheel scroll? I tried to set acceleration to the wheel. After clicking on the bind, where it's waiting for input, rotating the wheel doesn't register - clicking the middle button does, but not the ol' wheely scroller...

I don't really know if you can have a scroll up/down bind. The way I do it is left click to accelerate, right click to decelerate. It takes about a week to get used to, but not having to take my fingers off the steering wasd commands to change throttle is useful.

Another pro tip for captains, just take the E key to dismount completely off. Use space to get off helm, it'll take away the freak E hits and all of a sudden you're off helm in the middle of a fight.

I have my map bound to Q, can't even begin to say how useful this is to be able to hit it with one hand and not reach for M. I put the task list to T, because chances are I don't really need to see it right away, so I don't mind reaching a bit for that key.

Lastly, I use a push-to-talk setup for TeamSpeak when I'm playing with my clan, and I bind it to my mouse 4 button (aka the back button for a browser). If you use any outside of game voice feature, it might be a good idea for ya too.

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2013, 09:20:36 pm »

Are you, by any chance, on a Linux distro? Last time I booted my Ubuntu and ran GoIO, there was a bug where you couldn't bind the mouse wheel, and the wheel didn't work correctly to scroll lists. If you're on windows, you should be able to bind the wheel the same as you would any other key.

Offline Simplex FourOhNine

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2013, 10:15:17 pm »
Hi Dragonmere,

Nope, nothing so fancy; Windows 7 with a Logitech G9 mouse. Scrolling works fine for what it's already bound to - zoom and, until I changed it, swapping through ammo/tools. Just can't rebind it is all.

NoWuffo, yes similar here - side mouse buttons rather than left and right, but same principle :)  Would prefer scrolling though, just feels more natural for some odd reason.

Ah well, if it doesn't work then it's not a big deal, I just wondered is all. Maybe there's a keybinds file somewhere that I can fiddle with to get around it...

Cheers,
 - Jon

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2013, 01:31:14 am »
I removed E as the helm dismount for reasons. Other than that i use standard keys for everything though i like the idea of using the mouse buttons as throttle.

Offline NoWuffo

• Community Ambassador
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2013, 03:52:03 am »
I removed E as the helm dismount for reasons. Other than that i use standard keys for everything though i like the idea of using the mouse buttons as throttle.

Try it, and give it a full week to get used to it. You won't look back. I'd also vouch for making the map a little easier to grab with your left hand, but to each their own

Also, before I knew about custom keybindings, I actually used my key puller to pull up my "E" key from my keyboard whenever I took the helm so I wouldn't accidentally hit it! It's so much easier now that the key does nothing.

Offline geggis

• Salutes: 12
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2013, 07:22:38 am »
I switched the map key to the back button on my mouse and had crew chat assigned to CTRL, party chat to SHIFT and captain chat to default. I wouldn't mind shifting captain chat to ALT or something because C can pull my finger off right turn...

I might have to try the left/right mouse buttons as accelerate/decelerate, but I can relate to wanting to put that on the scroll wheel. That'd feel quite apt and given that I don't use the scroll wheel for tools I don't think it would interfere with anything.

I very occasionally slip from the helm so retiring E sounds like a good idea too. I recently created an 'autoclick' on middle mouse button using Setpoint for my G400 so that repairing, rebuilding and buffing wasn't so hard on my finger/hands/tendons.

Offline roder

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2013, 12:35:37 pm »
i only changed Lshift to chat, but after reading this thread i've decided switching map to Q, and Lshift to dismount :D thanks for the suggestions

Offline NoWuffo

• Community Ambassador
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2013, 03:47:32 pm »
i only changed Lshift to chat, but after reading this thread i've decided switching map to Q, and Lshift to dismount :D thanks for the suggestions

Welcome to the Q-Map club!

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2014, 06:48:14 pm »
Thank you eukari for left-shift voice chat suggestion. It really should be default, because with X it's next to impossible to strafe right and talk.

Personally I also use wa for throttle and right/left click for altitude control. Seems more natural to use both hands to fly.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 07:12:24 pm by Omniraptor »

Offline Dresdom

• Salutes: 15
    • [Don]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2014, 03:47:22 am »
Q-map and mousewheel-throttle here.

I like the autoclick idea, is it any easy to do? This is not a game about breaking mouses, is it?

I'm taking the leftshift-voicechat suggestion, and i'm thinking about space-takehelm. Is it really useful? Isn't it weird to use the same key for jump...

Wait.

The same key for jumping.

Jump on the helm.
Jump on the guns.

It's perfect.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2014, 03:59:47 am »
Steering and Altitude adjustment: WASD,
Acceleration: mouse scroll
Tools: 1234
Voice chat: ctrl, shift, capslock
Pilot mark: 3rd mb
voice commands: q
rest: default

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2014, 10:36:05 pm »
I changed my (Action) button to [Spacebar] and set [Alt] to (Jump) because sometimes while trying to gain altitude with [W], I would accidentally hit [E] and let go of my helm and run forward. Not very nice in the middle of a fight

Offline Buchou

• Salutes: 6
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2014, 10:20:39 pm »
Changing key bindings is among the first things I do when getting a game.

Plz don't judge me:
W/S - forward/back
R/F - up/down
T/Y/U/I - Global, team, crew, party chat
Z/X - Team, party voice chat
Mouse Thumb Button - Voice chat
Middle Mouse Button - Captain Mark
Q - Map (makes it really easy to check map quickly)
M - Cheevo quicklist

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2014, 03:45:40 pm »
Q for Map