Author Topic: Sound for being hit by the chaingun  (Read 15923 times)

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
Re: Sound for being hit by the chaingun
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 01:28:44 pm »
You know you guys may be right about the Gatling sounds. It may definitely add to the feel of everything. But just like with everything else, they should experiment. Maybe through it into the Dev App to see how it is?
On that note, if I could get access to that dev app (Linux version) I'd be a very happy man.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 01:33:20 pm »
About the sound getting annoying, since when are gamers bothered by the sound of machine gun shots?

Made my day!
But you've got a point there. I like the idea of hearing those shots. Adds a bit more to the ambience as well as helping you to recognize when the hull is in danger. Not only new players have problems with that on a mobula for example.

Offline Kharthynogus

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 02:12:12 pm »
I am in full support of this, for the sake of gameplay and immersion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMP11swbhpM

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 02:23:32 pm »
I find the grinding sound of the armour being stripped to be enough, but I wouldn't mind this.

Offline treseritops

• Salutes: 6
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 02:25:26 pm »
Also if people are worried about the constant pinging you could just play a ricochet noise every couple of shots.

Rather than "tatatatatatatatatatatatata" against the hull

A "ping...pong...toing...ting...ping-pong...pong" etc.

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 03:05:31 pm »
I find the grinding sound of the armour being stripped to be enough, but I wouldn't mind this.

I can't say I've ever heard a 'grinding sound', except when the armor goes down completely.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 03:19:36 pm »

I can't say I've ever heard a 'grinding sound', except when the armor goes down completely.

Maybe "grinding" isn't a very good way to describe it... But there's definitely a sound for armour stripping.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 03:20:28 pm »
Also if people are worried about the constant pinging you could just play a ricochet noise every couple of shots.

That would sound the best.

Offline Eukari

• Salutes: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 07:22:48 pm »
Piloting a Junker makes me deaf >.<
"Captain, enemy to the rear."
"What?"
"Captain, their coming!"
"August the twenty-second, I think"

I have to agree with this- sitting right between those engines makes it very hard to hear my quieter crewmates sometimes. To the point where I start instinctively raising my voice, even though they can probably hear me just fine. ...which speaks to the immersion, I suppose.

On topic, I definitely approve of this. Yes, you should be watching your hull armor at all times- but in battle there can be a lot going on, and auditory cues are often the first sign you get that an enemy is taking potshots at you. A gatling can strip armor very quickly, and I'd rather know from the first few "plinks" than after I've lost half my armor because I was focusing on not slamming into something. (usually my allied ship, who decided to pop Hydrogen right into my flightpath)

Offline Cheeseycom

• [FVS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 05:30:43 pm »

How about a bit of both?

At long range there could be the sound of random ricochets, but when the enemy is right in your face and scoring hit after hit, it could be the more prolonged volley sound.

Obviously the sound level would have to be fine tuned so as to not drown out all other sounds completely, but it could making facing gatling guns that little bit more intense.

It would also be nice if there was a difference between the sound of the rounds hitting hull and hitting the balloon.. for example, the hull would sound like metal, but the balloon would make ripping and puncturing 'thock thock thock' sounds when bullets hit it (I'm imagining 'thock' something like the sound of a tennis ball being hit, but louder and more violent).

Offline Cheeseycom

• [FVS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2013, 05:37:12 pm »
By the way just noticed someone else posted the exact same topic last month, though it didn't get this level of discussion (although one of the Muse team did drop in to post a joke xD).

Seems like this is a popular idea..