Author Topic: Ship Tier List  (Read 60188 times)

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
Re: Ship Tier List
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 11:03:03 am »
If you're bored of the Pyramidion, leave the beginner's matches and start playing in some higher-level ones. You'll find that the Pyra doesn't dominate quite so much.
Yeah, this is all I can really say about this without going into all the discussion that went into that "pyramidion OP" thread. You see lots of pyramidions because they're easy for beginners. That does not mean they're too powerful, because once you try other builds you realize they're not all that good. They're certainly not bad, but you'll see much more variety in higher leveled matches. Hop into one sometime.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 12:06:40 pm »
The thing is the pyra is a good ship for learning the basics of crewing a ship, it's fairly linear - engines in back guns up front. As is the goldfish.

Everything you learn flying these ships can be applied to the other ships, but there's always a twist.

The galleon for example requires you to learn where the guns are without actually being able to see them, while giving you a really slow turn rate. If you haven't learned healthy comm skills you'll find it hard just to keep guns on targets.

Then you have to learn how to deal with each of the other ship types, from the perspective of that ship - how to defend from attacks and how to attack.

Offline Dilwo

• Salutes: 0
    • [RKIT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 03:37:11 pm »
These have mostly all been great replies, I usually run with between 3 and 7 of my group, and we seem to have fantastic communication. The only problem is, we all don't have time to wait around for these "high level" matches you speak of. I can't even hardly find one 50% of the time. So we generally just queue up or create a match and whoever joins we play. I usually run squid when I have all 8 but recently I've changed over towards the junker since most of my group is getting bored of the game for mostly the same reasons I am.

I know it's not possible the change the game ONLY for the low leveled players, but if you think about it, when the low leveled players are 80-90% of the players, and when 80-90% of THOSE players are running nothing but a single ship, it stands to reason that something needs to be changed about THAT ship, to make the lower level play more varied and interesting, so people don't just quit outright thinking there's only one ship in the game that's good.

I know for a fact that other ships are good and can be used as such, but not EVERYONE plays with a full group like myself with good communication and teamwork.

The point is, the pyramidion needs something done to it to maintain it's current state in high level play, where it's just a slightly above average ship, yet make it not see as much play in the lower level brackets simply due to it being so easy to use and the flaws so easy to cover up.

Either that, or other ships need help to look more appealing in the eyes of the newer player.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 03:44:49 pm by Dilwo »

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 04:11:55 pm »
What timeslot do you play btw?

Speaking personally I like to fly squid and mobula and I have friends who like spires, however all three of these ships are easy to die in if you don't use them well or have competent gunners and engineers. I play a  lot of games with players I've never played with prior to the match so often start out with a pyra moving onto to a different ship type, or not, depending on how the crew works together or how much they know about their roles.

Offline Old Nemrod

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 11:53:01 pm »
I feel odd man out because I can't stand piloting the pyramid or goldfish. I think I just got spoiled on the squids maneuverability. Its by no means the best ship, but even with just AIs, I'm learning when and where to be effective with it.

My biggest beef with Pyras is not the ship but the captains. Almost always I will join a map that has two full crews and as soon as my team has two captains, everyone readies up. If my teammate is patient and we wait to fill up, we can usually sweep Pyras. I just hate going against stacked teams and then not being able to build my team as well.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 11:58:10 pm »
I feel odd man out because I can't stand piloting the pyramid or goldfish.

I haven't been able to fly a prya effectively in so long, as for the goldfish I've only flown it like once or twice so I don't have an opinion on it.

I think I just got spoiled on the squids maneuverability.

I'm spoiled on the junkers versatility, it's a joy to fly about in it.

I just hate going against stacked teams and then not being able to build my team as well.

Pretty much most players in this game, being on the losing side with no one enjoyable is not fun.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 12:02:34 am »
The Squid is actually a shockingly good Pyra counter, yeah. I especially love the Carro-Artemis build. It just leaves them dead in the water.

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 12:41:28 am »
The Squid is actually a shockingly good Pyra counter, yeah. I especially love the Carro-Artemis build. It just leaves them dead in the water.

I kind of like Morbie's Mine-Mortar Squid...

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 01:37:55 am »
If you're bored of the Pyramidion, leave the beginner's matches and start playing in some higher-level ones. You'll find that the Pyra doesn't dominate quite so much.
When you have a good crew and a great ally, all ships are viable and work well with their intended roles. However, with a ragtag assembly of random players, the usual safest choice is Pyramidion because its easy to repair, shoot, and pilot.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 04:10:03 am »

When you have a good crew and a great ally, all ships are viable and work well with their intended roles.

When did we stop calling the Spire a ship?

Offline Moriarty

• Salutes: 18
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 04:32:25 am »
Basically, there is no useless ship... (letus)

Yeah you just have to remember that the squid is for capping not for fighting :P

@ Sammy BT, prolly when we started spelling it with a T, just a guess tho.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 04:35:31 am by Moriarty »

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 03:25:57 pm »
Yeah you just have to remember that the squid is for capping not for fighting :P

What???  I've been playing this game all wrong.  Suppose I'll have to stop fighting and killing ships with a squid now.

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 03:37:06 pm »

What???  I've been playing this game all wrong.  Suppose I'll have to stop fighting and killing ships with a squid now.

Agreed, my Mantis Shrimp must be glitched because I keep getting these kills all the time.

But seriously, even the Spire can be a beast

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2013, 04:36:15 pm »

Agreed, my Mantis Shrimp must be glitched because I keep getting these kills all the time.

But seriously, even the Spire can be a beast

Note Red Velvet and Wedding Cake

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2013, 01:32:58 am »
It's 1:30 AM and I'm bored, so here's my opinion on how the ships are actually ordered (too lazy to use tiers though, and once again, 1:30 AM).

Junker > Pyra > Galleon > Mobula > Goldfish > Squid > Spire