Author Topic: Ship Tier List  (Read 60314 times)

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Tier List
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2013, 04:53:42 am »
Basically, there is no useless ship... (letus)

Yeah you just have to remember that the squid is for capping not for fighting :P

...guess I'm gonna have to do a shameful plug to the first 11 minutes of this video now....

ignore the giggling
that wasn't me.
It was Morbie...abusing his Dev powers to make it look like me.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 04:57:43 am by Letus »

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2013, 06:35:28 am »
Junker > Pyra > Galleon > Mobula > Goldfish > Squid > Spire

Agreed there, as a rough list, that's mostly how it is. The Junker's tankyness along with its great versatility and agility. Not the speediest vessel, but it can compesate.

Also, again, poor, poor Spire..  :'(

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2013, 07:03:50 am »
All any lower level player will see is pyramidions, no matter their skill level. It's just annoying seeing nothing but pyramidions EVERY game. I haven't seen a spire in at least 30 games.

Beginner matches - inspiring false confidence since 2013.

It's going to come as a shock when large cohorts of beginners who've never ventured outside the little league games suddenly find they've levelled up and can no longer qualify for entry to them.  "Shit, there's more than just Pyras to this game? - I just got my ass kicked by a ****ing Squid!"

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2013, 10:13:11 am »
Yeah you just have to remember that the squid is for capping not for fighting :P
I very much disagree.

It's 1:30 AM and I'm bored, so here's my opinion on how the ships are actually ordered (too lazy to use tiers though, and once again, 1:30 AM).

Are we talking ease of use? If so,

Pyra > Goldfish > Junker > Mobula > Galleon > Squid > Spire

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2013, 10:19:27 am »
Judged on a combination of survivability and killing power.

Junker > Pyramidion > Squid > Goldfish > Mobula > Galleon > Spire

That said, I've seen Spire builds that can absolutely wreck every other ship. I also think people severely underestimate the power of a Squid. Yall will think me nuts, but I think the Squid, in the right hands, can be a bitch to kill, even harder than a Junker.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2013, 10:21:33 am »
It's 1:30 AM and I'm bored, so here's my opinion on how the ships are actually ordered (too lazy to use tiers though, and once again, 1:30 AM).

Are we talking ease of use? If so,

Pyra > Goldfish > Junker > Mobula > Galleon > Squid > Spire

No, I was referring more about how good each ship actually is when used to its maximum potential.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2013, 10:40:14 am »
No, I was referring more about how good each ship actually is when used to its maximum potential.
Ah, okay. In that case I don't think I can create a ranking because it depends on way too many variables.

Offline Moriarty

• Salutes: 18
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2013, 10:54:09 am »
I very much disagree.

Now I'll preface that i rarely play on a random ships, and the ship i crew on is arguably competent.

Squids are just flat out non-threatening, you see one and you give your commiserations to its teammate who now has to do the work of one and a half ships.

I say this because it's always a challenge to justify the squid - I mean what are you trying to accomplish?

Tactical positioning effected by the ships movement? - Even with the best of pilots if your up against a competent opposition the squid almost always ends up dead or running away so much as to be ineffective - which is why they're so rare in competitive play.

Now i don't want to make this about competitive play but we should compare apples and apples - if your posting on the forum your not a regular pub - if your posing you crushed pubs with a squid you have skills but that hardly means the ships good.

With all things being equal, other ships will end you - or worse ignore you and focus fire your teammate while you prance around 'Squiding'.

Edit: My list goes  Pyra > Galleon > Junker > Goldfish & Mobula > Squid > Spire
(squid above spire for the cap not the combat)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:01:22 am by Moriarty »

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2013, 11:08:38 am »
@Moriarty

Noooooo.

The Squid has the following advantages:

1. It's way more durable than people make it out to be (four hits to rebuild the armour and more perma than the Pyra).

2. Most of the important components are bunched together and can quickly be accessed by engineers.

3. It can stay in blind spots very effectively, and can escape battle without too much difficulty.

4. It's one of the only two ships with a rear gun, allowing it to deter pursuit or just simply giving it more options.

5. It's really, really hard to hit it with slow-moving projectiles.

The Squid's a really good ship. I've actually been thinking a lot lately about how it would fare in competitive play (cue Gilder reminding us that it needs its manoeuvrability fixed), and I'm sure that it could go somewhere with the right strategy.

Ah, okay. In that case I don't think I can create a ranking because it depends on way too many variables.

Yeah, there really is too much to take into account to make a fully accurate one. The Goldfish, for example, overtakes the Mobula if the enemy team doesn't bring mercs. There are loads of things like that that change the rankings based on the situation...

Offline Xemkobankavareniya

• Salutes: 20
    • [Rrdy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2013, 11:12:26 am »
Junker > Galleon > Pyra > Goldfish & Mobula & Spire > Squid

Offline Moriarty

• Salutes: 18
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2013, 11:15:47 am »
Its just doesn't pack enough of a punch to justify - maybe if cannonades or flamers worked differently.

annny way i got bigger fish to fry

*Gets pokeball and waits for a wild Gilder to appear*

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2013, 11:50:46 am »
A Squid on your aft washing flames and mortars over your engines, balloon and hull while it's ally pummels you with gat/mortar is a quick death. In a 1v1, a Squid would lose, but if you're fighting 1v1 you're doing something wrong.

Having a Squid on your team is like attaching a grenade launcher, holographic sight, and suppressor to an AR-15. The Squid is a support ship that compliments the ally ship.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2013, 02:34:52 pm »
Meh, sound like I haven't been playing my squid enough in GOI.

I'm totally taking my Squid against the Lucky Duck in your next Practice Moriarty (just need to figure out how to stay awake til 5am).

My Squid vs ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok so the squid isn't the best ship but you all are underating it just a bit I think.  The Galleon may be the sword of GOI but the Squid is the scalpel.  It can be almost anywhere on the map at anytime sitting in peoples blindspots and dissecting them.  It either forces an enemy team to try and kill the squid desperately while its ally beats them up or to shoot at their ally while the squid disables one enemy forcing a 1v1 between the remaining enemy and their ally.  If the ally dies, the squid is one of the few ships that can consistently escape an engagement and regroup with the respawn.

The squid does require Sunderland levels of engineering to efficiently keep its engines up while the pilot keeps on abusing engines, but in the right hands, squids are extremely effective.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2013, 03:18:41 pm »
Galleon - The Sword
Prya - The Spear
Junker -  The Shield
Squid - The Scalpel
Spire - The Bow
Mobula - The Hammer
Goldfish - The Dagger

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2013, 04:25:04 pm »
Frankly I find it silly to try to put tiers on ships.

You got ships you're good at piloting/crewing, some more than others.

Good example for me is that I'm pretty good at a Squid...have had my Squid annoy ships and not die...mostly against Pyramidions...but I know how to get that thing into every blindspot...unless I forgot to change to my Squid Loadout.
I'm a pretty crappy pilot at the Pyramidion....probably because that's my least favourite ship now because I CAN'T HAVE UMLAUTS IN MY NAME!  I'd be flying it more if I had the name Pÿrmähürmäfërgër back! D:<

So basically, Tiering comes down to personal experience, and as a result, is opinionated.  The "strongest" ship is as strong as it's weakest teammate....