Author Topic: Pyra being op?  (Read 109860 times)

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
Re: Pyra being op?
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2013, 10:24:21 am »
The Pyra tends to be difficult to take down in a 1v1 attack (more so even than the aforementioned junker).
You just described your problem right here. The pyramidion and junker are the game's two main brawlers, they tend to have the advantage in a 1v1 situation. The game is not balanced for 1v1 engagements; make sure you're always communicating and coordinating with your ally, and that you focus your fire on a single enemy. The pyramidion will go down without a problem. If you go at it 1v1, you'll most likely lose unless you're able to sneak up on him from behind or something.

Offline Prancer Thistledown

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2013, 10:41:16 am »
OK, as I mentioned, I am quite new. I know I still have quite a bit to learn. I'll have to look up some more strategies. I will still stand by what I said though, the Pyra is no fun... :3

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2013, 11:28:53 am »
OK, as I mentioned, I am quite new. I know I still have quite a bit to learn. I'll have to look up some more strategies. I will still stand by what I said though, the Pyra is no fun... :3
The pyra is a lot of fun depending on the playstyle you wish to achieve. What you might have ignored is that the other ships all have different purposes. The goldfish doesn't have any overlap, but if you've fought good pilots using it, you will know why the ship is scary as hell. Similar things apply to the Galleon and the Spire. Heck, ever seen RomanKar flying a mobula? That thing just destroys things. Even the Squid can do a good performance if flown correctly. However, none of these ships have the same means to an end. And Pyramidion's tools are the easiest to grasp and the gameplay around it doesn't test your patience as much.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2013, 12:03:18 pm »
The strict role assignments which you don't have on any other ship provide a good enviroment to organise and get to know your people.

I have strict role assignments on every ship I pilot... do other players not do this?

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2013, 12:10:04 pm »
The strict role assignments which you don't have on any other ship provide a good enviroment to organise and get to know your people.

I have strict role assignments on every ship I pilot... do other players not do this?

A lot of new players don't listen, or think that THEIR strategy  is better than yours. Plus you sometimes have to describe in detail how the tools work and what has priority when it comes to repairs, otherwise they'll try to rebuild the guns with a mallet while the hull armor is down.

A lot of us (me) get tired of teaching the entire game to a player every other match, and that's only if they listen.

Offline Lord Fontelroy

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2013, 12:10:58 pm »

I do as long as I'm playing with decent people, but when I get paired with random people who are all engineers who do nothing but shoot and refuse to repair...it becomes enraging to play the game. I can't tell you how many times I as pilot have had to repair everything while the ship just flys on it's own.

Offline Eukari

• Salutes: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2013, 12:36:00 pm »

I think he means that the Pyra's roles are easier to explain and enforce. "You stay on the deck, you two get up on the catwalk and shoot" is easier to understand for a new player than "You sort of hover around the front of the ship, you hover around the middle (except when in combat, then you go to the side) and you sit on this tiny spot that will give you the optimal repair zone."

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2013, 12:49:50 pm »

I think he means that the Pyra's roles are easier to explain and enforce. "You stay on the deck, you two get up on the catwalk and shoot" is easier to understand for a new player than "You sort of hover around the front of the ship, you hover around the middle (except when in combat, then you go to the side) and you sit on this tiny spot that will give you the optimal repair zone."

That's what I mean. Especially the engineering aspect requires more situational awareness on other ships. The only "hard" role on a pyra is taking care of the maindeck, imo.

In my experience the Squid's the optimal ship for Anglean, since there isn't really much combat happening.
1 vs 1 encounters happen frequently
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:55:36 pm by Wundsalz »

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2013, 12:50:01 pm »
I just want to chime in to defend my beloved ship. If there were stats on which ships you fly, I would imagine I'm easily 90%+ Pyramidion. I love it's ease of teaching new players, and it's outright deadly ability in capable hands. You say Pyra is overused/OP/no fun. I say I want Pyramidion pajamas, boxers, matching bed-sheets, and a Pyramidion model in a bottle to display proudly above my fireplace. Too much Pyramidion? There is no such thing. There can never be enough Pyramidion.

Pyramidion is to GoIO as Ken/Ryu is to Street Fighter. It's not OP, it's just the go-to in the game, and it doesn't mean that other characters/ships can't counter it. I've been playing as Ryu/Ken since about 1992, and I'll never get tired of that either. I hope to someday have accumulated a similar 20+ years behind the wheel of a Pyramidion.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2013, 01:01:07 pm »

I spend a good amount of team each game during the pregame lobby setting positions.  Everyone knows which guns and components they're responsible for in which situations.  I then call crew members by name when posts need attention and chastise them when they leave their posts.  Eventually everyone learns to trust one another allowing all stations to be manned and increasing the efficiency of the ship substantially.

Offline Zenark

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2013, 01:20:26 pm »
I just want to chime in to defend my beloved ship. If there were stats on which ships you fly, I would imagine I'm easily 90%+ Pyramidion. I love it's ease of teaching new players, and it's outright deadly ability in capable hands. You say Pyra is overused/OP/no fun. I say I want Pyramidion pajamas, boxers, matching bed-sheets, and a Pyramidion model in a bottle to display proudly above my fireplace. Too much Pyramidion? There is no such thing. There can never be enough Pyramidion.

Pyramidion is to GoIO as Ken/Ryu is to Street Fighter. It's not OP, it's just the go-to in the game, and it doesn't mean that other characters/ships can't counter it. I've been playing as Ryu/Ken since about 1992, and I'll never get tired of that either. I hope to someday have accumulated a similar 20+ years behind the wheel of a Pyramidion.

Lemme guess, Gat/Mortar?

I have nothing against the Pyramidion, I think it's awesome as far as design, function and play style. Its just seeing the same Gat/mortar setup in EVERY match that grinds my gears. I understand that it works, I understand that its the best setup to kill with, but it's not very fun for most people to fly against.

The other day, I was flying my normal bizarre ship setup, trying to add a bit of variety for my crew so they can have some fun and I can study every small nuance of each gun in different spots. The enemy kept using the meta setup in every lobby I'd fly in, so I got pissed and used it myself on Labyrinth. I let my ally Goldfish capture the point while I flew around the map killing the enemy ships before they could even get to the center. It was such a one sided battle that one ship left entirely while the other surrendered at about 300-0.

The domination was fun, but the ship wasn't. I always feel...disappointed in myself when I fly the meta setup, I feel cheap and unoriginal.

So I told my crew "See, too easy. Yall have fun." And logged off for the night.

I think it's also important to say that my crew were two level 3's and one level 2.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2013, 01:32:31 pm »
I love my Pyra, but I do feel bad for my crew when I bring gat/mortar all the time (among other reasons). That's one of the reasons why I bring gat/gat every chance I get.

Offline Zenark

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2013, 01:38:43 pm »
I love my Pyra, but I do feel bad for my crew when I bring gat/mortar all the time (among other reasons). That's one of the reasons why I bring gat/gat every chance I get.

I've been enjoying flamer/flamer <3 though I have an idea involving mines and mercuries.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2013, 01:40:56 pm »

I've been enjoying flamer/flamer <3 though I have an idea involving mines and mercuries.

I still haven't gotten around to trying the double loch mine kamikaze Pyra. Keeps on slipping my mind whenever I fly.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2013, 01:58:35 pm »

I spend a good amount of team each game during the pregame lobby setting positions.  Everyone knows which guns and components they're responsible for in which situations.  I then call crew members by name when posts need attention and chastise them when they leave their posts.  Eventually everyone learns to trust one another allowing all stations to be manned and increasing the efficiency of the ship substantially.

My point is it's WAY easier to organize an unknown crew on a pyra than it is on other ships. Let me elaborate it with two examples:

1. Junker - gat/flak gat double sniper:
You need to make sure that your gunner heads down and takes care of sniper + gat and claping the main engine occasionally - easy.
You want one engi to bring heavy for the front gat and one to bring charged rounds for the mercury.
During sniping the engi with heavy clips needs to take care of the repairs. once you engage enemies in close range he quickly needs to hop to the front gatling gun. During the first seconds of the encounter the engineer with charged rounds is responsible for the repairs (including hull) to allow the second engineer to continue hull stripping. The engi with charged rounds needs to keep track of the battle to jump to the flak just in the moment where it's needed. Depending on the battle situation either the heavy clip engineer or the charged engineer needs to take care of the balloon and steering and/or hull repairs. Also repairing the hull from the front deck isn't intuitive and needs elaboration (and reminders during the match). Bottomline: It's not possible or at least not optimal to assign static roles to the engineers on a Junker. Their duties are rather complicated. Hence I prefer to fly the Junker with engineers I reckon to have some situational awareness.

2. Metamideon - gat mortar front:
You sent 2 people to the top and one on the lower deck and ensure that they bring the appropriate equipment. 2 people have got a very simple task - point 'n shoot hulls + clap the balloon during reload times - easy to teach. This grants some extra time to observe your main engineer to tweak his actions.
Clear, static and straight forward assignments for everyone. Easy to organize and easy to manage.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 02:21:46 pm by Wundsalz »