Author Topic: Pyra being op?  (Read 110348 times)

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
Re: Pyra being op?
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2013, 11:06:14 pm »
Saying the Junker has an advantage over the Pyramidion because the Junker can strafe is kind of silly. The Pyramidion has two side gun slots that can house another chaingun/mortar and in some ship layouts, that's even the best place to put such a combo.

The thing people seem to miss out on quite a lot is the ship's role. If I were to give every ship a role:
Goldfish: Support disabler
Squid: Utility
Pyramidion: Assault
Junker: Combat
Mobula: Destroyer
Galleon: Defense
Spire: Sniper

You will easily notice that besides the Pyramidion and the Junker, there are no real combat options available. Pyramidion is also build towards attacking(hence it gets the role of assault) which makes it perfect for almost any job. It together with the Junker is essentially a swiss army knife and because the other ships have been given the weaknesses that they have, Pyramidion is by far the most reliable answer.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2013, 11:40:18 pm »
I'm just going to say (this is in fact what I have noticed not a defined fact) that most of the new players seem to think the pyra is the "Be all end all" ship of this game, said statement is not the case. Of course it is a fairly effective vessel, decent armor and all that, but like every vessel it too has it's weaknesses.

1.) You've probably noticed that it has no guns along 1 side giving it 1 hell of a blindside.

2.) Thing has a fairly bad turn rate, figure how that can be an issue yourself.

3.) It has a fairly large hull hit box, yet again figure how that can be an issue.

4.) Engines are fairly close together making it easier to disable, also takes less time to go from one engine to the next when repairing but still.

5.) It has less perma-hull then a squid, which while a squid has considerably less armor it is much more maneuverable, again think about it.

Again, it's how you use the vessel that really matters.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2013, 04:07:19 am »
Saying the Junker has an advantage over the Pyramidion because the Junker can strafe is kind of silly. The Pyramidion has two side gun slots that can house another chaingun/mortar and in some ship layouts, that's even the best place to put such a combo.

And how often do you see Pyramidions run gat mortar on their side and heave an easy time switching betweem upstairs and downstairs. 98% of the time Pyras have secondary guns or a different type of gun type downstairs.

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2013, 06:02:47 am »
Of course, because charging opponents head on is much more successful than circling around them. Especially if said opponent lacks frontside guns.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2013, 06:09:26 am »
A pyra is also a chaser craft, getting in from behind a craft and pounding them that way. Again, it is also used for starting engagements, IE two front guns closing in, ram, run away giggling.

As for downstairs guns I've noticed flares because why not.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2013, 09:34:30 am »
Pyras don't run left side gat mortar because they can't turn at a suitable rate, and will lose arcs pretty quickly against a Junker, whereas with the front guns it's able to control the engage distance, keep arcs on longer, and survive longer (but the Junker will still win in the end).

As for downstairs guns I've noticed flares because why not.

It's not just "why not", the flare is the best close-range weapon you can stick down there. It lets you light up clouds, but crucially it also has a huge arc and lays down those 10 stacks of fire per shot, which can be key in assisting in the armour break and taking a gungineer off their gun (by shooting into the balloon).

Offline Moriarty

• Salutes: 18
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2013, 10:22:35 am »
Bullhouse and Serenum are in fact correct.

As evidence I submit Smollet's ship "the Dirty Duck", and i note it is no coincidence Smollett is nay saying this OP business.

Because what he wont tell you is the dirty sneaky all terrain/opposition Pyra he runs has only lost 3 competitive matches *ever* - I think Serenum accused the higher levels of not caring about the balance so long as they had a work around. I say the Higher levels are in fact exploiting the floating exploit otherwise known as the Pyramidion! 

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2013, 11:41:46 am »
I have noticed one flaw in the protection the pyra has given it balloon. I mostly run with a mortar somewhere on my ship. Always had the mortar instead of flak (Hipster much?)

When piloting with low level crew they tend not to aim their shots much and 'as long as it hits then its a +1 for us'  this is a horrible idea against say... a junker as they tend to fire at the easiest thing to hit... The balloon. On the pyra the hull is around the balloon increasing the chane the shells hit it. In my eyes its the easiest ship to learn and easiest ship to hit.

Hopefully others understand what im on about as im usually horrible describing things.

Gambrill

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2013, 12:04:42 pm »
Moriarty, Smollet doesn't have that record due to some major ship advantage. You should know this better than anyone, he has that due to the amazing teamwork of the Paddling.

Offline Moriarty

• Salutes: 18
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2013, 11:21:49 am »
Don't let him fool you Sammy, that's the big lie! - Swallow that and hes got you.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2013, 12:51:42 pm »
Don't let him fool you Sammy, that's the big lie! - Swallow that and hes got you.

And here I thought you meant the caster.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2013, 09:24:25 am »
I think the main reason why we see the Pyra as often as we do, is that it's a ship wish can be organised very easily. If I pilot unknown crews I usually pick the Pyra first and move on to other ships later on. The strict role assignments which you don't have on any other ship provide a good enviroment to organise and get to know your people. Also it has got unique features which can be very annoying when engaging it - the well protected balloon and front guns. I have to admit that I wouldn't play it any less if its structural hull was reduced by 1/3.
Still I don't reckon it an overpowered ship in general. However the pyramideon clearly excels in Anglean Raiders, as there's no other ship which combines selfs sufficient killing power with speed. I can't think of a ship combination that might possibly be a better pick than 3 pyras for that map.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2013, 09:26:09 am »
In my experience the Squid's the optimal ship for Anglean, since there isn't really much combat happening.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2013, 09:37:28 am »
I think the main reason why we see the Pyra as often as we do, is that it's a ship wish can be organised very easily. If I pilot unknown crews I usually pick the Pyra first and move on to other ships later on. The strict role assignments which you don't have on any other ship provide a good enviroment to organise and get to know your people. Also it has got unique features which can be very annoying when engaging it - the well protected balloon and front guns. I have to admit that I wouldn't play it any less if its structural hull was reduced by 1/3.
Still I don't reckon it an overpowered ship in general. However the pyramideon clearly excels in Anglean Raiders, as there's no other ship which combines selfs sufficient killing power with speed. I can't think of a ship combination that might possibly be a better pick than 3 pyras for that map.

I just want to emphasize on how true this is. Last night I was realy just considering changing my ship to Pyra since my crew was litteraly unable to run a Galleon, then again I just looked at the clock at 5:30 AM and just decided to go to sleep..

Seriously though, the Pyramidion is only seem as much as it does cause it is the easiest ship to understand and crew on, cause ask yourself, when do you trust that level 2 Gunner more? Shooting a Lumberjack or just having him switch to engineer and shoot a Gatling or something?

I definately know which I prefer..
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:39:06 am by Echoez »

Offline Prancer Thistledown

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2013, 10:08:53 am »
I suppose I aught to apply my opinion here as well. As a new player, I do struggle against the Pyramidion. I don't think I suck too terribly (but don't quote me on that, please), I find every ship except the Pyra and the Junker fair game in most confrontations. The Pyra tends to be difficult to take down in a 1v1 attack (more so even than the aforementioned junker), even from a concealed position from the blind side. A tap of the phoenix claw (I assume) and my advantage seems to be negated; the main guns of the pyra have been brought to bear while my goldfish struggles to deal damage before the Pyra turns the tables.

Could this be that the "weaker" ships need a buff instead of nerfing the heck out of the Pyra? I know that I could use the ability to bring a side gun to bear along with the goldfish's main battery (they don't seem to overlap at all, while the junker, galleon and spire may bring three guns to a fight in the right positioning). Or if a nerf is in order, however slight, maybe compound the pyra's weakness? a few degrees/second less turning power or a small reduction of engine HP might do it to make the ship a higher risk/reward ratio.

Again, as I said, I am new to the game. Even so, I find any match that includes a Pyra to be less fun than others.