Author Topic: Pyra being op?  (Read 110424 times)

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
Re: Pyra being op?
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2013, 04:12:10 pm »
How to beat a Pyra, Diagram 2:

<Here is good|

Very bad>                       <Pyra                       < Here is   
          location >                       <midion                    <the best

<Not so
                                              < good 

Edit: This also works very well vs the Galleon.

Offline Nidh

• Salutes: 16
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2013, 04:15:21 pm »
Since the junker has the potential for a trifecta, it's firepower is technically superior. But the skill it takes to maintain the that trifecta, while attempting to get on the blindside of the Pyra, is very high. Remember also, it would require your gunners to compensate for the horizontal movement. The junker is a more difficult ship to repair, and therefore you are at a disadvantage there, losing your trifecta potential as the engineer can't stay to shoot. The junker is more difficult to hit, but with the precision of heavy clip, and the "not as exaggerated" turning of the Pyra, a good gunner will have no problem hitting your hull. (Assuming CQC and gat-mortar as-is the meta). No Sammy, I believe the Pyra would win.

Offline Nidh

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2013, 04:19:11 pm »
Imagine, no pilot worth his salt is going to let you get into that position in the first place. Competitive matches don't have 4 Pyra's because they have teamwork. And the better teamwork will always win. That said I have to say not all teams had mercs but those were considered in need of a nerf. So let me rephrase my stance on the Pyra. I think the Pyra needs a nerf. I take back what I said about being OP.

Offline Imagine

• [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2013, 04:28:18 pm »
Imagine, no pilot worth his salt is going to let you get into that position in the first place. Competitive matches don't have 4 Pyra's because they have teamwork. And the better teamwork will always win. That said I have to say not all teams had mercs but those were considered in need of a nerf. So let me rephrase my stance on the Pyra. I think the Pyra needs a nerf. I take back what I said about being OP.

I'm willing to bet that 90% of the people complaining about pyras are ones who run at it straight head forward thinking they can outmuscle them. My point is stop that.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2013, 04:36:42 pm »
I like to think that I mastered Pyra engineering a long time ago, and I only got serious with the Junker a couple of months ago. With a good crew, the Junker is easier to engineer on than the Pyramidion.

Why?

-It's easier to get multiple people on the hull when needed.
-The pilot can rebuild the balloon while the gungineers keep on firing.
-It's easier to keep sustained buffs on the Junker.
-The hull profile is much smaller, and a lot of it is filled with guns and engines. Once your gungineers (or gunners, if that's how you like to run it) learn to compensate for turning, you will generally deal more damage than the enemy ship.

Not to mention that fifth gun. It makes a huge difference.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2013, 04:37:15 pm »
With repairing the hull from in front and below, the Junker isn't hard to repair in the slightest. I can throw extra guys on the hull just as fast if not faster than a Pyra. Also I have no worries about my hull engineer having to help out with enginges and thus missing an armor repair, a common problem on Pyras. A good Junker setup can use piloting tools much more liberally than a Pyra can once engaged in a fight. The Junker also doesn't just have a small hitbox, the body of the ship is very component heavy, making it even more difficult for enemy ships to get direct hull hits. The pilot is able to do more repairs himself quickly ranging from looking up at the balloon, to actually leave the helm to give some whacks to a gun.

I'd maintain a Pyra is harder to repair due to the major time spent between one of the front gunners leaving and returning to their gun. Once engaged in combat every component on the Junker will always have someone near. On a Pyramidion, this is not the case.

Offline Nidh

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2013, 04:48:01 pm »
Well, I suppose I'll take your's and Sunderland's word for it. I don't engineer much so I can see where my logic may be at fault there.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2013, 06:51:32 pm »
If anyone's opinion is based on experience on a Junker it's Sammy and Sunerland.

Base on my own overall experience in GOI (trust me it's extensive) Junkers simply outclass Pyramidions in a brawl.  A well crewed Galleon also easily counters them however it's a lot harder to pull that counter off in a pub match.

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2013, 04:44:40 am »
in my personal opinion (as a squid pilot) i find the pyramidion an easy kill, with a carro flamer combo i can keep in their blind spot causing all hell to break loose. its all about how you plan it. don't go into a head on attack. you  can hide and wait for them to pass you by surprising them, or try and take them on their side since its turning speed is somewhat lacking and most pyra pilots rely on front guns he would most likely panic and keep trying to turn to get his fronts in a position. giving you lots of time to deal some pain. (this is me talking from pub matches)

Offline Serenum

• Salutes: 12
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2013, 06:43:17 am »
Ok let me present my argument:
Competitive players are the bane of this game, their theorycrafting is valid only in their little microcosm, every time a developer listen to them GoIO gets worst and if the competitive scene were to die completely this game would improve as a result.
End of argument.  >:(

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2013, 06:46:29 am »
Simple approach: from the rear to take out the pyra's engines.

more elaborate: check in the lobby what the pyras front load out is and adjust your tools accordingly - usually the have flak/mortar so hydrogen can lift you above the gun arc.

high risk, last resort:  flying backwards until the pyra goes for a ram duck over or under it depending on yout tools then use the Claw to bring your ship to bear guns and take out it's engines, or fake a ram angling sightly so you go past their blind side, most pilots will commit to the ram then realise what you're doing too late to slow down, use the Claw as described earlier, or tar.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 07:09:04 am by Calico Jack »

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2013, 09:12:01 am »
Competitive players are the bane of this game, their theorycrafting is valid only in their little microcosm, every time a developer listen to them GoIO gets worst and if the competitive scene were to die completely this game would improve as a result.
Serenum, we play with the same ships everyone else does.

Actually a good number of the recent changes being put into the games were to fix beginner matches, not comp matches.
Again, your argument has nothing to do with why you think the Pyra is OP. We understand that not every plays competition matches or implements the 'meta', but that doesn't change the basic stats of the ships and weapons. The only difference between a comp match and a pug are the players involved (and sometimes not even that).

I still don't understand why you think the Pyra is OP. I'd like to reiterate: easy is not automatically equal overpowered.

The definition of overpowered in this case would mean that a ship is imbalanced enough to result in a win regardless of other game variables. The Mercury rifle was a bit overpowered until recently (you don't really have to agree with the way they fixed it, but it was causing problems in low level matches, and even comp players were complaining). Dual Mercuries made it nigh-impossible to approach ships in some situations, and the only real counter to it was dual Mercuries. I've never lost a match simply because the enemy took a Pyra (though I have lost because of dual mercs, and my inability to outsnipe Shink).

In generally the cry of "X is OP" is becoming a bit like the story of the "Boy to cried Wolf". The Merc was altered only after a long discussion where most people agreed it was a real problem. If you have an issue, the devs and everyone on the forums will take a real look at it, but you need to be prepared to have you ideas dissected and analyzed. Something being OP is one of the things that needs to be backed up by some kind of evidence, it cannot be changed simply because we all have our own opinion.

I recommend you try some of the other ship builds listed in the thread, and let us know if that works for you. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:15:39 am by Plasmarobo »

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2013, 11:06:05 am »

That is not an argument, that is a complaint.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2013, 11:14:41 am »
Hey Guys,

I would like to make sure we are following our Community Standards. Particularly this one:
2. Trolling/Harassment

Trolling or harassment includes personal verbal attacks, insults, communicating or behaving in a manner which is offensively coarse, intimidating or threatening, making unwelcome sexual advances, or engaging in other activities intended or likely to cause disruption, annoyance or alarm. You may not harass, threaten, or troll other players or representatives of Muse Games.

As a competitive player myself, I would also like to point out that we are all gamers here that play the same game.

Offline Imagine

• [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2013, 11:27:50 am »
... says a player on a competitive team....