Author Topic: Lesmok 1.3.1  (Read 59478 times)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Lesmok 1.3.1
« on: August 12, 2013, 02:27:33 pm »
So I figured this would come around sooner or later. Why not now?

I played with it a little in the dev app and gave my feedback. I don't see the reason to change lesmok for seemingly only one gun, while also affecting many others that use it. The merc was already nerfed on its own, which to me was justified and done so well. Why nerf the ammo that makes it useful at it's intended role of long range disables?

This also nerfs the heavy flak, which we can all hopefully agree needs no such thing. It actually buffs LJ since you get more accurate shots, and you only need 3 to kill a balloon. Light mortars will shoot more like light flak, and with still more ammo. Artemis and flamethrowers get messed with too (not sure exactly how yet, as not tested)

Just feels like merc nerfing overkill. The changes to the gun itself are fine. Ammo changes went too far. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 02:33:20 pm by awkm »

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
Re: Lesmok 1.3.1
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 02:32:18 pm »
You already know that I agree, but yes. I'm assuming the intent was to adjust lesmok with the mercury in mind, but adjusting lesmok affects so many other guns that it has a lot of bad side effects. I'm happy with the existing mercury nerf, and don't really see why lesmok needs to be touched beyond that. I don't think there was any issue with lesmok prior to this patch.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 02:35:36 pm »
Yes, the change to Lesmok was in response to testing with Field Gun changes.  It was said to still be too effective and therefore the change was made.  Yes, it does change how other guns are used.  However, Field Gun is a bigger deal than the other weapons.  If Field Gun, with or without skills, is causing the same problems as before then nothing has changed.

Unfortunately, other guns also receive spillover treatment.  Such is the nature of integrated systems.

Other suggestions are more than welcome.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 02:41:55 pm »
If Field Gun, with or without skills, is causing the same problems as before then nothing has changed.

I was always repositioning for arc in the dev app to where it wasn't as efficient as before. With the merc drop added, it was even harder still to tap the guns with it. If the issue was killing things from across the map, you already hit that hard with the drop since everyone was using buffed/charged to get that damage.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 02:45:26 pm »
The problem is also movement denial.

However, if the clouds seem to do their job then we can reconsider the next steps.  Again, this is all based on feedback.  Lesmok was considered the go-to skill for Field Gun abuse.  If there are other ideas instead of Ammo Reduction, let me know.  Rate of fire?

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 02:54:36 pm »
The nerf lesmok did to heavy flak was just really way too much.

I think changes to the mercury should be considered within the mercury gun itself since an ammo type change casts way to broad of a stroke.

Perhaps a slightly larger reduction to the speed of the shot and a small reduction to piercing damage? 

Or maybe just leave the merc where it's at and put lesmok back to 1.3, see how it goes and move from there.  I've always liked the idea of small incremental changes over time.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 02:56:06 pm »
Lesmok changes will probably also affect mortar launchers pretty significantly, too.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 02:59:06 pm »
The nerf lesmok did to heavy flak was just really way too much.
Yeah, this is my biggest issue with it. The heavy flak is now almost entirely useless, and it was underused prior to this patch to begin with. My honest opinion is that we should leave mercury changes without lesmok changes for this patch, and if we're still seeing issues then to address lesmok later on. It seems like a case of trying to do too many things at once. I don't think it's worth it at all to break other guns just in an attempt to fix the mercury.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 03:07:17 pm »
Find a new skill to use with Flak.  I don't believe that just because one skill can't be used with Flak makes the gun useless.  If there is only one viable skill for a gun, then we have a problem.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 03:14:56 pm »
Rate of fire?

On the merc or lesmok?

If lesmok, I could see it. Thing with lesmok is that it is the only ammo that allows you to efficiently hit at these guns' max ranges. Slowing the rate of fire thus allowing for more repair chance seems ok.

On merc alone, eh, eventually you'll tweak it so much that it becomes useless. I still like your changes to it on its own. Since now the focus seems to be lesmok, id take slower firing vs less ammo.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 03:25:19 pm »
Rate of fire for Lesmok, yes.

As usual.  I'm going to let this settle for a while until I make any changes.

And yes, I consider this still smaller increments.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 03:30:07 pm »
At least dev app it and give her a try, once the initial patch shock simmers.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 04:51:00 pm »
Yup, it'll be in Dev App first.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 04:57:05 pm »
Clouds won't really do their job because teams will constantly flare them. If you want to really maximize these changes and hinder long range engage battles, then the change does not need to come to merc or lesmok but to flares. Give their cloud seeing ability as a limited distance around the point of the flare. They'll still have a use but you'd need to place them near the location of an actual ship to reveal it.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 05:08:01 pm »
Find a new skill to use with Flak.  I don't believe that just because one skill can't be used with Flak makes the gun useless.  If there is only one viable skill for a gun, then we have a problem.

Well the big thing for lesmok with Flak was that it gave it effectively a range of 1.6 km.  It wasn't the ease of shooting but the increase in range which is really necessary if firing from a Spire or Galleon, otherwise the range of the gun is too limited and gives the enemy a really easy window to close into arm time from.  If the heavy Flak was allowed to travel farther before detonating then the lesmok change wouldn't be so brutal to the gun.