Author Topic: MAPS Balance Discussion v1.3.1  (Read 33616 times)

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
MAPS Balance Discussion v1.3.1
« on: August 12, 2013, 02:24:20 pm »
How you like dem clouds?  But seriously, they're there to mitigate snipe camping.  Make it either harder to snipe camp or easier to approach snipers.

Let me know

Offline Nidh

• Salutes: 16
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: MAPS Balance Discussion v1.3.1
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 03:18:22 pm »
I LOVE nerfs to sniping... but... I have to admit their may be a tad too many clouds. Just a tad.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 03:26:59 pm »
I LOVE nerfs to sniping... but... I have to admit their may be a tad too many clouds. Just a tad.

Which maps, and where?

Please be specific so I can address them

In Canyons there are only 4 additional clouds.  Dunes has the most additional clouds and they move.

Offline Nidh

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 03:29:02 pm »
Sorry, I meant on Dunes. I didn't realize there were any new clouds on Canyons. I'll have to take another look to see in which location specifically.

Offline Nidh

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 03:58:22 pm »
You know what? I take back my position about too many clouds. I played a few more matches, and the feeling of Dunes has definitely changed. I think at first the change gave me a feeling of unfamiliarity, but I see now that it actually feels more like a battlefield
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:08:06 pm by Nidh »

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 04:50:27 pm »
Great, glad to hear.  Any comment on Field Gun usage or camping on these two maps would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Captain Phil

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 07:20:30 pm »
I like the nerf to the field gun, I really disliked having my galleon shut down by one field gun. The bad news is that the lesmok nerf hit the heavy flak very hard too, the poor gun just can't have a chance to shine anymore. Also, the ship names on HUD is irritating, maybe switch it so you can see them on the map instead of in your face.

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 09:27:09 am »
I agree that the clouds work, but in my opinion it sort of detracts from what is a graphically beautiful game. Not that the cloud graphics aren't great, it's just that for a good portion of dunes or canyon, all you see is the inside of a cloud. I think adding clouds should only be used as a temporary stop-gap measure until something else (?) can be done to prevent snipe camping. Otherwise, I'm frightened as to what this game will look like if every time a new camping-setup is discovered, the reaction is to add more clouds. I'm almost definitely over-concerned, but I don't want this game to turn into Clouds of Icarus.

Offline Serenum

• Salutes: 12
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 10:41:18 am »
It was fine as it was.
Sniping was a greatly exaggerated problem, you only need a working brain to deal with it. But no. Whiners win.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 11:41:58 am »
It was fine as it was.
Sniping was a greatly exaggerated problem, you only need a working brain to deal with it. But no. Whiners win.

You know, I would agree with you here.  To be blatantly honest, the Field Gun has been the bane of my existence since this game went into beta.  It's had so many problems.  It's been literally on the razor's edge since it's inception.  Even without any changes for the past 3 months (let's not count penetration testing since it never made it to production) there's another sudden outburst where there was not a day that went by where we had tons of emails complaining specifically about this gun.  That doesn't even include the banter that goes on here on the forum.

Still, I ignored it also because I thought it was totally fine.

However, during a pickup match with devs my team was completely disabled and kept at bay.  Granted my team didn't have the best overall loadout to deal with the situation, we knew what we had to do and it was very very difficult doing it.  Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have cared because we might have been playing against an organized team.  However, we release passwords to our locked pickup games on global chat and it fills up very very quickly.  I don't believe the enemy ships played together much, if at all, previously.

What this shows that is it's possible for relatively new players to get on a dbl Field Gun Pyramidion and completely suck the fun out for the opposing team.  For us devs, knowing exactly what was happening, it was pretty aggravating.  Imagine how that would feel for an average player or a newbie?  I bet they'd feel helpless and that's not the kind of game I want to make.  I want to have it so with a little planning, you'll a variety of options available to you to deal with the situation.

Veteran players will always expose the nastiest of metas and give me a big headache.  That's fine, though.  Most of the time these strategies do require a lot of work and coordination, but they are evidence that smaller work can be done to mitigate them if they're being pulled off that consistently (by no means am I not recognizing the skill and coordination that veterans have, I just want to give them something fresh to work with).  However, once the metas start trickling down to new players and they can pull them off relatively easily too then that's a good indication of something being unbalanced.  This past few weeks we had TGS/Polaris videos go up and a ton of people in the game.  Even anecdotal evidence from our Teachers claimed that Field Gun was a go to meta and was extremely deadly as soon as had the right loadout and minor coordination.  Not good.

So that's what happened.  Whiners only give me part of the equation and without trickle down confirmation whiners rarely win.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 12:07:39 pm »
I will say that added clouds has further increased the issue with crosshairs being the same color.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 12:08:22 pm »
I will say that added clouds has further increased the issue with crosshairs being the same color.

We're working on this. :D

Really cool stuff coming up.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 12:14:20 pm »
On Dunes it's a really big problem now to use a Lumberjack or a Heavy flak (which even is a problem itself at the moment...). Let me put it this way: Using them on Fjords was pretty difficult, since ships could easily vanish in the clouds above. Dunes was a bit better since they could only get closer by using tactics instead of cloud cover.
But now it's even worse than on Fjords! You can't really use a Galleon with two far range guns...

I know that nerfing sniping was necessary, but the Lumberjack and Heavy flak sniping was easy to counter not op. Now it's almost plainly unnecessary to pack Lumberjack and Heavy flak on your ship.
Sorry, but there currently is only CQC instead of varying ship loadouts. Don't really like that.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 12:16:48 pm »
I used LJ on the clouded maps just fine. There are still spots to give yourself room for these guns. Those spots just don't equate to the entire map anymore.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 12:19:16 pm »
The problem is that there are no open maps right now. Sure, you could use a Lumberjack on any other map too... but it's just no fun. Why use a far range weapon when you're clearly on a CQC map and there's CQC ships that are more powerful at the moment?