Author Topic: My issues with this game.  (Read 42091 times)

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
Re: My issues with this game.
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2013, 11:50:03 am »
A captain is a captain, he can run his ship how he wants. Some are nice and communicative, others are not. While some take the "hard arse" route and see yelling cursing a an appropriate reprimand, go right ahead.

But just remember, if everything blows right up in your face don't expect people to sympathise with you or see it as
(entirely) the crews fault. This captain learned that the hard way.

I'm personally encourage the nice route and try my best to educate new players if they are willing to learn. And if I do get a bad crew and the nice route doesn't work, people won't see their actions being justified by a mean captain.
Which captain? The only captain that was communicating was friendly and humble. The other is a gunner and was being a dick. You seem to misinterpret where rage kicks in, for me at least. When I ask people to do stuff and they are giving me a bad attitude, they get a vocal correction, which is a relatively normal one. Only when the player proceeds to not care and not listen to what I say I start becoming angry and it's only in his direction; other crewmembers are relatively safe.

Let me reiterate: I don't care if people are new, bad, good, etc. My number 1 priority is that they LISTEN, if they do as they are told I don't have to look at my own ship and that means I can focus on doing MY job. When I do MY job, my fellow captain(s) can do their jobs and we can win. Even if we lose, it is not as big of a deal than when you lose because someone is screwing around.

Offline WhiteWeasel

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2013, 02:27:08 pm »
A captain is a captain, he can run his ship how he wants. Some are nice and communicative, others are not. While some take the "hard arse" route and see yelling cursing a an appropriate reprimand, go right ahead.

But just remember, if everything blows right up in your face don't expect people to sympathise with you or see it as
(entirely) the crews fault. This captain learned that the hard way.

I'm personally encourage the nice route and try my best to educate new players if they are willing to learn. And if I do get a bad crew and the nice route doesn't work, people won't see their actions being justified by a mean captain.
Which captain? The only captain that was communicating was friendly and humble. The other is a gunner and was being a dick. You seem to misinterpret where rage kicks in, for me at least. When I ask people to do stuff and they are giving me a bad attitude, they get a vocal correction, which is a relatively normal one. Only when the player proceeds to not care and not listen to what I say I start becoming angry and it's only in his direction; other crewmembers are relatively safe.

Let me reiterate: I don't care if people are new, bad, good, etc. My number 1 priority is that they LISTEN, if they do as they are told I don't have to look at my own ship and that means I can focus on doing MY job. When I do MY job, my fellow captain(s) can do their jobs and we can win. Even if we lose, it is not as big of a deal than when you lose because someone is screwing around.

EDIT: DERP I thought the gunner was the captain. I apologize for miscommunication I hope you forgive me. Either way a captain (or any player) should not act like that V
"OKAY PBG, WHAT THE F**K ARE YOU DOING, WHAT THE F**K ARE YOU DOING? WHAT THE HELL, WHY MAN, YOU CHOOSE THIS-THE F**ING GUNNER. WE NEED TWO FFFFFF***ING ENGINEER, TWO ENGINEER ON THE GOLDFISH! We gonna sink like a B***H!"

I see what you mean, I just hate having to yell, if it really is a bad sport it just gives them in their mind a reason to continue disobeying orders or even attack me back. I just don't want to wind up getting too angry and get hoist by my own petard. If worse comes to worse I find a new lobby after the game is finished since I don't want to rage quit.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:49:36 pm by WhiteWeasel »

Offline Old Nemrod

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2013, 11:34:31 am »
Maybe we could have a leveling system that rewards classes. Engies must be level 3 before unlocking gunner, and then gunners must reach level 2 before gaining pilot. This would ensure that by the time someone was pilot, they would understand how to work together.

Offline Mepic Von Shreck

• Salutes: 11
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • Shrek
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2013, 01:17:50 pm »
Maybe we could have a leveling system that rewards classes. Engies must be level 3 before unlocking gunner, and then gunners must reach level 2 before gaining pilot. This would ensure that by the time someone was pilot, they would understand how to work together.

This is a nice idea but I don't think this would ever work.  Obviously I'm a beginner to the game, but in the hours I've done so far I've worked out I am a terrible pilot but I can gun and engineer well. If there were restrictions, I wouldn't be able to work that out as easily and thus hone the skills I need. It would just add unnecessary frustration when looking for crews - literally everyone in the beginner games would be engineers.

Offline Pixley

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2013, 01:40:43 pm »
This would severely restrict people who, for example, bought a 4-pack with the intention of crewing a ship with the friends to whom they had gifted the game.  A crew of all Engis would be severely gimped.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2013, 01:44:47 pm »
Muse has stated they will not be restricting any in-game content to players aside from cosmetic items which you have to buy, all classes, vessels, and tools are available to you from the beginning. I'll have you know Pixley I've seen some wonky crew comps, IE: All pilots.

Offline Pixley

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2013, 01:49:41 pm »
I'll have you know Pixley I've seen some wonky crew comps, IE: All pilots.
I hope, for humanity's sake, that was for "teh lulz".

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2013, 01:50:59 pm »
Well considering we had a squid with all harpoons, yeah that was a fun match :P

Offline Mepic Von Shreck

• Salutes: 11
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • Shrek
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2013, 06:07:31 pm »
Well considering we had a squid with all harpoons, yeah that was a fun match :P

Combine that with all pilots and you've got a super setup.

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2013, 07:30:24 pm »
I see what you mean, I just hate having to yell, if it really is a bad sport it just gives them in their mind a reason to continue disobeying orders or even attack me back. I just don't want to wind up getting too angry and get hoist by my own petard. If worse comes to worse I find a new lobby after the game is finished since I don't want to rage quit.
If you check the context of that vid, the gunner that went off at PBG has posted on the vid and explained himself a bit. It turns out that PBG didn't communicate and picked gunner despite people telling him in the lobby not too. So I suppose while the captain was flaming his teammate for readying, the gunner turned his attention to PBG. And to be honest, that was hilarious.

Furthermore, you getting angry, forceful or abusive isn't going to make people that listen to you stop listening. Especially when they know they are not the target. The people who were not listening, now have a reason that they don't listen. Does this matter? No, because they have shown that they didn't need a reason to ignore you to begin with. Nothing has changed and if you point it out to them, you will see how weak their fragile minds really are. Yes, this is dota experience; at the same time in dota, if people were new, I didn't really care for that, as long as they were sincere... Now the guy in mid with a ganker not ganking, that gets my attention; and while the newb was going 0-13 I kept going at our mid the full game until he finally snapped.

If I want anyone to take anything away from this, I wish wholeheartedly to prevent Guns of Icarus going down the same path. Once the game fills up with people that are in it for themselves, shit will hit the fan and the guy raging at PBG will become a distant memory of when things were better.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2013, 08:04:43 pm »
Thing is this game doesn't reward being in it for yourself. Even if you want to chase achievements you have to get a consensus before you do it because people will be working around the limitations you're placing on the ship.

All of that goes counter to most multiplayer games - there is a team score, it isn't broken down into K/D per ship, by weapon in any way beyond the superficial. Therfor most people coming into the game will bring the game culture that other multiplayer games have fostered, people either adapt or leave it's that simple.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2013, 10:22:36 pm »
Well Pilots get a K/D ratio so in a way if you are working on that stuff you'll be rewarded if you play the harder class. You can bring in some skills from other MP games for that. Instead of thinking about yourself you gotta carry it over and think about it as your ship and the rest of your crew. If you fly like your life and the lives of your crew + ship mean something then you'll get better.

I'm honest, I have high K/D ratios in stuff like BF. I don't like the mindset players have where you aren't helping the team if you don't spawn and die constantly. I decided to work towards maximizing each life and it payed off. You can do it on any class in that, not just sniper. Just have to play smarter. Transfer that over to guns as a pilot and you'll find yourself not meatgrinding as much. Gotta change that mindset from kill > your ship into your ship > kill. Not that you play defensively but you look at each engagement and ask yourself can you do it and also is your crew capable of doing it. If you have a crew you can't trust then you are better off playing as a long range boat hoping just 1 out of 100 shots they shoot manage to land.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2013, 11:12:04 pm »
I don't really bother much with K/D I just like to see it in a positive ratio and leave it at that.

Offline Slag

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2013, 02:16:16 pm »
You have Captains flying as gunner/Engineer instead of pilots.
You have Engineers that don't know what the hell a Repair cool down timer is. So they'll sit there hitting stuff over and over again thinking they're actually helping.
You have Pilots forgetting to press the '1' key so their abilities aren't running 24/7 "WHY DO THE ENGINES KEEP BREAKING!!" Ummm maybe because you're using moonshine constantly...
You have Engineers that think they're gunners and let the ship die because they were too busy shooting.
You have pilots that don't know where the guns are on the ship. (for example a galleon) They'll fly straight at the enemy instead of to it's side so it's weapons can actually fire at them.

It's a cool game and all but it feels like the only way to have fun is with some friends while you're buzzed. Other wise It's just a headache to play with randoms. :/

I get you, i've seen all of these things happen a lot and it's annoying. But Just as many times I've seen players who've obviously been around a while being condescending and rude to new players instead of being helpful. I myself have only been playing two weeks and have gotten pretty decent if I say so myself because I've had veterans giving me advice and guidance and letting me on their ships.

A lot of times I instead see better players run new players off, don't let them on their ships because winning is more important than having fun in a game.

This is why my ship kinda has a reputation as a noob ship with big balls, the "sideways fister". And we've earned respect from several veterans for trying even though we know we'll probably lose instead of backing out of matches with high level players or demanding all the noobs leave to make room on my ship for better players.

If you only want people who aren't new to play then expect the game to die. Or you can help those who suck learn to be better and make them feel welcome. Then we'll all have more players to play against and with.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2013, 09:41:13 am »
I remember the sideways fister, don't forget a ship like that.