Author Topic: My issues with this game.  (Read 43040 times)

Offline SixSillySins

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
My issues with this game.
« on: August 11, 2013, 04:38:04 am »
You have Captains flying as gunner/Engineer instead of pilots.
You have Engineers that don't know what the hell a Repair cool down timer is. So they'll sit there hitting stuff over and over again thinking they're actually helping.
You have Pilots forgetting to press the '1' key so their abilities aren't running 24/7 "WHY DO THE ENGINES KEEP BREAKING!!" Ummm maybe because you're using moonshine constantly...
You have Engineers that think they're gunners and let the ship die because they were too busy shooting.
You have pilots that don't know where the guns are on the ship. (for example a galleon) They'll fly straight at the enemy instead of to it's side so it's weapons can actually fire at them.

It's a cool game and all but it feels like the only way to have fun is with some friends while you're buzzed. Other wise It's just a headache to play with randoms. :/

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: My issues with this game.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 04:47:18 am »
This seems to be apparent with the recent influx of players due to "Youtube Personalities" namely the yogs cast. If I would recommend a solution I would recommend joining a higher level lobby, you will most likely have a better time, namely because in higher level lobbies more will be expected of you. If you point out you're new people will be willing to help you out if you're willing to learn.

This is an iteration of various posts by different people on threads of the same nature, I do not claim ownership over any and all posts summarized above.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 04:47:39 am »
Not all randoms are that bad.  Try moving up from the Beginner games to those where the more experienced players are.. this could of course lead to a new line, "You have beginner players that don't realise that there's more than just beginner matches" ;)

Could be the time of day your playing.  It's the school holidays, there's a large number of new players many of whom are 12-14 years old and are getting frustrated because it's not a nice, easy game they can win by button-bashing.  The steep learning curve that rewards thinking about how you play is what keeps the core players playing.  But it's also a frustration for others.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 04:55:37 am »
In the past couple of days - I've been sworn at twice for informing a (different) crew that the top slot gets captains chat and the player should change role or place, while a player in captain role sits in slot 3 shouting "F:ck off I'm the captain!"

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 05:20:14 am »
In the past couple of days - I've been sworn at twice for informing a (different) crew that the top slot gets captains chat and the player should change role or place, while a player in captain role sits in slot 3 shouting "F:ck off I'm the captain!"

If the Captain isn't going to be the one steering (i.e. the pilot is in slot 2-4), I won't join that crew and a I won't join that team as another Captain.  It's just not practical to rely team tactics through an intermediary.  It is possible to use Party chat to get round this, but it's rarely worth the effort.

It's a control thing.. "I want to engineer/gun and I want *this* ship and loadout, but I don't want to fly it and I don't trust anyone enough to ask them to choose the loadout I want."

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 06:06:08 am »
I feel a...

Coming on.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 06:48:53 am »
If the Captain isn't going to be the one steering (i.e. the pilot is in slot 2-4), I won't join that crew and a I won't join that team as another Captain. 

In both cases I was on the other team.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 06:50:44 am »
I feel a...

Coming on.

welp I'd add the "I refuse to use team chat because I'm on skype with my mate the <insert crew role here>"

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 09:04:50 am »
well, the public games hurt *insert a work animal*, but there are some tricks to dodge problems.

1. As previously mentioned, join higher level lobbies. As much as we'd love to have everyone learn the game, there's simply not enough manhours in the community to try to train everyone. Still, the ones we see joining higher-level lobbies do get better chances at a good game.
2. Avoid full 1-3 level crew. One or two newbies is manageable with tutoring, but a full swabbie-crew most likely will end up hurting themselves or the captain ragequits. v.v
3. Clantags. At least the major and/or active clans are sort of an quality-degree. While not failproof, going to crew with some clanners is still better than completely randoms. Even a crew of lvl 1 with the same clantag means they are sticking together, at least in theory.
4. Join a clan yourself. There are many with no obligations, and having a recognized tag helps getting into good play. Clans also organize practices and usually fly together, which adds awesome. Note, though, that then your work will have to be up to snuff, too. You got a rep to hold! ^^

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 10:29:34 am »
Rather than look for clan tags I'd advise anyone to find players you can crew well with and play with them often.

Offline Ventidius

• Salutes: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 11:05:25 am »

Luckaly an easy solution is on hand: Press "X" and ask them why they do this and advise them not to.

You have Engineers that don't know what the hell a Repair cool down timer is. So they'll sit there hitting stuff over and over again thinking they're actually helping.

Chances are that these are relatively new players, might I recommend you press "X" and teach them the most efficient way to do their "circuit"

You have Pilots forgetting to press the '1' key so their abilities aren't running 24/7 "WHY DO THE ENGINES KEEP BREAKING!!" Ummm maybe because you're using moonshine constantly...

Perhaps a new player, have you tried pressing "X" and educate them on the use of their abilities?

You have Engineers that think they're gunners and let the ship die because they were too busy shooting.

Sounds like tunnelvision. Maybe this is a good time to press "X" and warn them of components in need of repair.

You have pilots that don't know where the guns are on the ship. (for example a galleon) They'll fly straight at the enemy instead of to it's side so it's weapons can actually fire at them.

Perhaps a lapse in judgement, tactical manouver or a rookies pilot's error. I assume you pressed "X" and asked him why he performed such a manouver?

It's a cool game and all but it feels like the only way to have fun is with some friends while you're buzzed. Other wise It's just a headache to play with randoms. :/

Have you tried pressing "X" before the match starts and work out some tactics?

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 11:14:53 am »

Luckaly an easy solution is on hand: Press "X" and ask them why they do this and advise them not to.

Offline Ventidius

• Salutes: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 11:33:36 am »

Perhaps some undue sarcasm on my part there. It's frustrating when meeting players unwilling to even consider feedback of any kind.

Still, I'd very much like to believe most problems can be solved with a bit of patience and a friendly chat :)
I see so many people rage about others in just as many different games without even having asked the guy why he is doing what he does.
I wish for Guns of Icarus to be different in that regard. And so far it has been, let's try and keep it that way!

Offline SixSillySins

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 05:17:13 pm »
Snip

I preceded to press X to try and communicate with my team to no avail. They still did these things over and over to the point where I had to find another game.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 05:42:37 pm »
Snip

I preceded to press X to try and communicate with my team to no avail. They still did these things over and over to the point where I had to find another game.
I understand frustration with people who refuse to listen, but frankly, if you start blaming the game for the people that play it, you're going to run into a lot of issues playing any multiplayer game. If you feel like you have a good grasp on the game, turn off the beginner matches and find some with some mid to high level folks, might have an easier time to communicate there.