Author Topic: Leaver penalty  (Read 51872 times)

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Leaver penalty
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2013, 10:12:38 am »
Those of us who've suggested punishing the problematic players have ideas on punishments, but I haven't seen anyone suggest an idea for a reward system. The commendations aren't worth it since, for me, I've already maxed out my commendation achievements. If we were to get a prize for every game we played, we'd run out of prizes after a day of playing.

We don't need an incentive to stay for the whole round, playing the game itself is incentive enough.

When a captain on your team leaves, EVERYONE ELSE in that team gets punished, but the quiter gets to go play another game like a clean slate.

If you want to reward someone, reward the people that were abandoned, because they're more or less screwed for that match. Sure it's possible to still win, but highly unlikely.

It is infuriating for us who get bent over like that. I, as a captain, will try to still play, but after getting killed a couple of times without even being able to take down an opponent's armor, I give up. I tell my engineers to stop repairing, my gunners to sit back, I press the surrender button, and fly into the middle of the other team while posting "Kill us" in match chat.

If you don't punish the deserters, then the rest of us suffer. Why should we be the ones who get the raw end of the deal?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 10:23:11 am by Zenark »

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2013, 10:21:49 am »
I did propose a positive avenue: https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1876.msg33456.html#msg33456

I don't think people realize that using surrender isn't some silly "I'm a quitter" button. I've used it with unruly crew before, and they were replaced in the same lobby with new crew that stayed and did their duties. Too many times have I politely suggested that a boat on a team with leavers surrenders so that we can essentially restart on equal footing, only for them to deny and say "IM NO QUITTER!."

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2013, 10:37:34 am »
I don't think we need a reward or penalty for this. Playing the game with random people will always get you random results. They might leave the match they might stay in the match. If you guys want to have fun but can't because your captain or teammates are leaving than you should start playing with people that you know will stay in a match.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2013, 10:44:16 am »
This isn't as much a concern for vet/clan/high level play and more for the new people. That said even I have trouble with the opposing team leaving at the first sign of losing, which not only makes the experience worse for the people who stay, but also for us as we just troll over them.

It's not going to simply go away, and I wouldn't mind something put in place to address it. These are just people's opinions on the means.

Offline Zenark

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2013, 10:46:03 am »
@Zill: A lot of us don't even focus on achievements, and most quitters leave after their first death.

@Spud Nick: what about when they're all offline? I only have maybe 8 people I've flown with regularly, and it's rare to see more than two on at a time.

And yeah, it sucks when the enemy leaves too, because then it's just shooting Goldfish in a barrel.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2013, 10:52:11 am »
I think the main thing a lot of us can agree on is that we'd like to see something implemented to curb rage quitting.

2 months ago rage quitting would happen, but it was rare and isolated. However recently it has become extremely common since rage quitting is the type of thing that snowballs. I think what's been happening is that when someone gets left over and over by their  captain and crew they have less of a problem doing it to other people and the problem self perpetuates.

I vote we implement a system that discourages rage quitting without tarnishing the amazing community we've built.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2013, 10:55:31 am »
@Zill: A lot of us don't even focus on achievements, and most quitters leave after their first death.

True. I'll admit its not a huge incentive, but its at least an example of the positive path I'd like it to take. So maybe a combination of positive reinforcement and the stick of waiting for a match to end before you can begin again is the better option? It gives a small incentive for people to stay and rank up, and discourages people from constantly leaving just because they feel hopeless.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2013, 10:58:20 am »

True. I'll admit its not a huge incentive, but its at least an example of the positive path I'd like it to take. So maybe a combination of positive reinforcement and the stick of waiting for a match to end before you can begin again is the better option? It gives a small incentive for people to stay and rank up, and discourages people from constantly leaving just because they feel hopeless.

Sounds good to me.

Offline Zenark

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2013, 11:52:18 am »

Sounds good to me.

Ditto.
A little bit of encouragement and a little bit of 'punishment' seems like a good middle ground.

Offline Kharthynogus

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2013, 12:37:27 pm »
Although I feel that the feedback rating on a player may be the best way to go to see if your team mate is likely to leave but even if you get someone like that with low rep there is currently nothing in place to avoid having that person on your team other than changing matches.

use the Form Crew function that way you have much more say over who you crew with.

This just gave me an amazing idea. I'll link it in a response after I post it.

Offline linkox

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2013, 12:58:58 pm »
i would add an aditional penalty for those who leave the game, for example 1 hour ban or something like that for leaving the game 5 min

Offline Kharthynogus

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2013, 01:48:01 pm »
Here's that idea I was talking about:

https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1949.0.html

It's an addition to the crew forming system, where players can put themselves up for hire and then captains can form a crew from that list, selecting class types and sorting by level and rep and whatnot. This would make the reputation idea actually usable, as captains could pick and choose who they want to crew their ship.

Offline MasX

• Salutes: 26
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2013, 02:02:13 pm »
There's a few problems with a penalty system  random dcs leaving to change ammo types will all come to an end

Offline Thaago

• Salutes: 12
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2013, 02:11:26 pm »
There's a few problems with a penalty system  random dcs leaving to change ammo types will all come to an end

I don't think anyone has mentioned not rejoining the match you were in.

Something as simple as a 'matches played/matches completed' stat that sits in the progress tab might be beneficial. No one else could see it, but the person would at least have a realistic count of how much they quit. Of course they might not notice, or care.

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2013, 02:23:12 pm »

I don't think anyone has mentioned not rejoining the match you were in.

Something as simple as a 'matches played/matches completed' stat that sits in the progress tab might be beneficial. No one else could see it, but the person would at least have a realistic count of how much they quit. Of course they might not notice, or care.

I kind of like this. It's like a passive aggressive note to DC'ers. Similar in thought to the electronic "Your Speed is" signs that are actually rather effective, if only briefly. I wonder if it would have any effect in this situation?