Author Topic: New match joining system: Mercs for Hire  (Read 3313 times)

Offline Kharthynogus

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
New match joining system: Mercs for Hire
« on: August 09, 2013, 01:41:55 pm »
This started in the thread about how to deal with ragequitters (https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1876.0.html). I suggested some method of reputation, where it shows the percentage of matches finished out of all entered matches (or a matches finished/abandoned ratio). The point was then brought up about what good it would actually do to see someone's rep if you couldn't actually do anything about it (like kicking). Then someone responded about using the "Form Crew" option, but that would only work for friends, recent, CAs, and Blocked players.

Then I got this idea: a match joining system where you can put your character up for hire.

When you do this, you would join a long list of other players who did the same. Then, players who go to form a crew would have an additional tab in that left-handed list (For Hire, Friends, Recent, CAs, Blocked). When selected, this tab would let them choose from that list of "mercs" who put their characters up for hire. They would be able to select the class type they're looking for (gunner, engineer, pilot) as well as sort the list by who was added to the list first, who has the highest level in the selected class, and who has the best reputation.

The reputation bit would simply be an indicator of number of matches finished vs number of matches abandoned. Adding this would provide a means of encouraging players to finish their matches against all odds, as an abandoned match would lower their "loyalty" rep.

Anyway, a nice byproduct of this system would be world immersion. You're on a mission and you need to hire some mercs to crew your ship. Just the feel of that alone would be pretty awesome I think.

Thoughts?

Offline Nidh

• Salutes: 16
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: New match joining system: Mercs for Hire
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 02:25:09 pm »
This seems like a pretty sound idea. Players might be biased based on levels though, which has nothing to do with skill in the first place, but players will likely choose the highest level players anyway. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it only makes sense, but I'm wondering if there will be a problem of getting the newbies more gametime