Author Topic: GoIO VN Project  (Read 66210 times)

Offline Qwerty Kun

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 23
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: GoIO VN Project
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 02:26:33 am »
A quick thought I had was to tie it into other fan work of GoIO and have it set in Anvala, maybe refernce or involve the Burning Skies Saloon somewhere in there.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 03:10:55 am »
Cathedral? We've sort of established that as the neutral trade port of the known world.

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 03:56:02 am »
A neat way of starting it may be to have the main guy working in a tavern or something. It would be able to have the influx of diverse people and a good point from which to branch off from, the main guy meeting these lasses as customers and later deciding through a series of events which one to go with.

Offline Qwerty Kun

• CA Mod
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 04:06:28 am »
I actually really like that idea, could work really nicely.

Offline Piemanlives

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 04:07:00 am »
Yeah that's pretty good Gryphos.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 05:07:36 am »
Can you link to the thread with the info on Cathedral?

Offline Qwerty Kun

• CA Mod
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 05:14:57 am »
Here is an example story I've finished writing into the doc, btw arcs are at the very bottom.

Your Name: Qwerty
Ship: Pyramidion
Nationality: Not sure, maybe anglean raiders?
Girl Description: Tough girl obviously, not bitchy and violent as would be the stereotype, more just calculating and distant, careful about her actions, think SHE might actually be the captain of the ship, the player just being a gunner or engineer.
Narrative Summary: While of course there will be a romance arc to this tale, I think the narrative needs to focus on the stupidity of war, how it got the world to this state allready and yet we continue, killing those who could be friends etc etc.
Arcs:
   Arc 1: Intro arc (yet to be worked out)
   Arc 2: The player accompanies the girl to a military academy of some form, training to join the factions army. This should be a fairly upbeat arc about learning to follow orders, operate a ship during war, and forming connections with the ships crew. Maybe a rivalry would help here but it might be a bit stereotypical. Late in this arc the ‘romantic’ feelings begin on the players side, however they are not reciprocated by the girl.
   Arc 3: The player enters the first engagements and quickly discovers that war is not a glorious thing. Between various fights that come from questionable orders, there is a lot of discussions between the crew about the stupidity of this war, how it got the world to where it is now, how they are killing mothers and fathers for the sake of land, or leadership. This arc gets depressing, the character should start feeling like a monster.
      Romance begins in this arc, the player and the girl taking refuge from the horror of their actions in each other. It is not a ‘beautiful’ romance, rather an escape from reality for the two of them. Their relationship slowly builds over the duration of this arc however.
   Arc 4: This arc is meant to make the player feel tired. The characters are drained from their experiences, and even the players romance holds little joy any more. At this point I envision 2 endings, influenced by the characters choices in the game. The characters go on a final mission, if bad choices are made the player is shot out of the sky in is forgotten amidst the sea of war. If good choices are made, the player and his crew retire, maybe starting a bar or business, scared by war it is implied/stated it will not be easy to re-adjust. The characters have eachother however, and the ending should feel bittersweet.
Additional Notes: Themes; Loss, adaption, war, death, horrors of war, escape from reality, depression, remption, hope

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 05:26:23 am »
That could work well. But you need to take into account whether at this time there is total war going on. Anglea is mainly about hit and run raids for their own survival, Chaladon just sits there looking on the rest of the world, etc. One of the only 'wars' going on are between the guild and league, and even that isn't really a reciprocated conflict.

Offline Qwerty Kun

• CA Mod
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 05:35:19 am »
We can take a little creative license with it. It doesn't have to be anglean either I just tried to fit the ship to a faction. We can have any factions having a war we want (I think all out war might be a coll backdrop for our narrative)

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 05:37:22 am »
Good point, license can always be taken. I'm currently coming up with an idea, I'll post it later.

Offline Piemanlives

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2013, 05:47:48 am »
Can you link to the thread with the info on Cathedral?

It's mostly just speculation, but if you look at the map of the world you'll see so many trade routes converge on Cathedral that it is almost idiotic to assume otherwise.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2013, 05:52:56 am »
Yeah but is that all there is to go on? Is there no background behind it lore wise?

Offline Piemanlives

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2013, 05:55:21 am »
For now yes it is, the only really established locations are the ones featured in the original game, those have more complex descriptions as you are probably well aware.

Offline Qwerty Kun

• CA Mod
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2013, 07:35:00 am »
So Wazulu has chipped in on the google doc, he likes most of the ideas so far however believes that we as a community are to Anvalan focused and would like to see it go to cathedral. What do we think about running with the tavern idea for the opening arc in Cathedral?

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2013, 07:36:43 am »
Sounds good to me