Author Topic: stomping pub matches  (Read 20557 times)

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
Re: stomping pub matches
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 10:30:56 pm »
I think all the vets should fly close range spires or mobulas  in these matches.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 03:03:55 am »
"ZOMG GAT/FLAK IS BORING AND OLD! CHANGE IT!!"

Muse nerfs gats and heavy clip...

"ZOMG MERCS ARE OP!!!"

/facepalm...yeah my desire to keep logging into game is certainly coming to a middle, oops, yeah I just crossed that the other day. Hydro/Chute broken = Gilder irritated but willing to weather it. No usable squid = Gilder very irritated but focused on achievements to bide time till squid fix. Impossible achievements added but balloon buff fixed = Gilder remembers how irritated he is squid is still not fixed. Combine all that with changes to everything else = heck with this, I got Steam sale titles to play.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 07:58:17 am »
This thread is realy funny. But please, keep defending the Mercury guys, please do :P

Keep talking about the 'feel' of the gun, when most players that have players to face it realy want to tear their hair out. Keep talking about how you need to counter it with cover.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 08:00:42 am by Echoez »

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 09:16:21 am »
Okay guys, play nice.

We're throwing around a lot of opinion here. Feelings will get hurt (mostly mine).
We can all agree that the Merc is one of the most effective guns for it's skill index.
We can also agree that the devs are working really hard to balance the game (and speaking as someone who's programmed large amounts, there is only so much you can do so quickly). They've got a back log of our concerns and bugs to deal with, and some of those problems are harder to solve than others.

There seems to be a lot on either side of this argument, but nobody here is objectively right.

Offline Zenark

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 10:13:09 am »
Aww, Plasma *pat pat* don't be sad!

Gat/mortar is the new meta, and I find it boring to both fly myself and fight against. That said, it's incredibly fun to  fly something different (carronade/flamer is fun) and still stomp the enemy team, even though they're playing meta.

Honestly, I don't mind losing against someone using a non meta setup, I find those matches fun.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 02:39:26 pm »
Okay guys, play nice.

We're throwing around a lot of opinion here. Feelings will get hurt (mostly mine).
We can all agree that the Merc is one of the most effective guns for it's skill index.
We can also agree that the devs are working really hard to balance the game (and speaking as someone who's programmed large amounts, there is only so much you can do so quickly). They've got a back log of our concerns and bugs to deal with, and some of those problems are harder to solve than others.

There seems to be a lot on either side of this argument, but nobody here is objectively right.

I honestly apologize for the snarky nature of my comment tp be honest. (I mean it)
I was realy mad about my internet provider not providing.. well, my internet.

But agreed on your points.

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 10:49:22 am »
Lower the damage of the piercing and possibly the shatter also?  Making it still a disabler but requires a few more shots? I have been on the other end of a merc and my only defence has been everyone focus on repairs (including gunner) while I kerosene and phoenix claw my was to him trying to dodge his shots. Once we get close they panic and flee. Leaving my ship with an easy target.

Offline Seamus S

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 11:34:28 am »
One Mercury in decent hands is enough to shut down a Goldfish completely.  At this time, I can see no reason whatever to ever fly a Goldfish.

The best way to counter this is to not fix the main gun completely until it's in range to fire. Fix it most of the way and then wait. Once you're in range and they get their Merc shots off whack the gun. Hop on, and flay them. 

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2013, 11:39:16 am »
One Mercury in decent hands is enough to shut down a Goldfish completely.  At this time, I can see no reason whatever to ever fly a Goldfish.

The best way to counter this is to not fix the main gun completely until it's in range to fire. Fix it most of the way and then wait. Once you're in range and they get their Merc shots off whack the gun. Hop on, and flay them. 

But a smart merc gunner will do essentially the same thing. They'll wait for the front gun to come back up before shooting it down again.

Offline Zenark

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2013, 11:51:31 am »

But a smart merc gunner will do essentially the same thing. They'll wait for the front gun to come back up before shooting it down again.

If they're waiting, then they're not shooting down your armor. Unless they have two mercs, it shouldn't be too difficult to get up close and personal.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2013, 11:55:38 am »

If they're waiting, then they're not shooting down your armor. Unless they have two mercs, it shouldn't be too difficult to get up close and personal.

But you're not doing any damage either since your gun is down... Eventually you'll have to bring it back up, and the merc will take it down, and they'll turn their short range side on you, and then you're screwed. It's a serious problem with the Goldfish right now.

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2013, 03:42:54 am »

But you're not doing any damage either since your gun is down... Eventually you'll have to bring it back up, and the merc will take it down, and they'll turn their short range side on you, and then you're screwed. It's a serious problem with the Goldfish right now.

And by the time you'll be so close you can outmanoeuvre its slow turn radius. It's a game of chess. It's the tactic I use and its not failed me yet.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2013, 08:26:38 am »
http://www.twitch.tv/cesports/b/440272709

at 46.00

counted 4-5 seconds on my ship = 1 engine down, 2 guns down and my hull being gone.
4 seconds in medium - close range.