Author Topic: ship design thread  (Read 23594 times)

Offline Ccrack

• Salutes: 25
    • [duck]
    • View Profile
ship design thread
« on: July 27, 2013, 08:55:23 am »
after seeing people post their ship designs all over the place i decided its time for it to get its own thread, so ill start off.

here is my ship-   The SailFish

pros:                                                                                      cons:
high top speed and fast acceleration                                             slow turning speed - large turning angles
3 light guns on each broad side                                                     no front or rear guns     
vital components in close proximity to the guns                             Blind spot on the front of the ship
small frontal profile, makes it hard to hit                                        wide broadside profile, easy ramming target
                                                                                                       no railings makes it easy to fall off the ship
  - low baloon health so its quicker to get repaired              large blind spot on the upper right of the ship, hard to see above it

Offline TimTim LaBaguette

• Salutes: 8
    • [LBS]
    • View Profile
Re: ship design thread
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 11:37:56 am »
Very nice concept man !

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 12:42:03 pm »
3 light guns on a broadside pretty much breaks everything unless the ship is suuuuper fragile. Like, spire fragile. Other than that, it looks super nice and I want it in real life.

Offline Ccrack

• [duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 12:55:59 pm »
the mobula has 5 guns on 1 side, most ships can get 3 guns firing on 1 target anyway

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 03:02:18 pm »
True. But there isn't any glaring weakness like in the mobula. It has both broadsides covered, so turns aren't as much an issue.

Offline Ccrack

• [duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 04:27:34 pm »
having a much smaller firing arc than normal would probbly fix that

Offline Thaago

• Salutes: 12
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 05:56:44 pm »
I like the design a lot! Kind of a mini Galleon, but balloon on bottom. The detailing you put on the hull has really beautiful curves to it, the canopy over the helm especially.

The broadside combined with low turning would make it difficult to pilot, even if its fast. One concern though is that it would be really easy to engineer - very hard to knock enemy engineers off of guns to fix things... and with 3 light guns thats just brutal. What if you made a little under deck near where the engines are, a bottom scaffold like the Junker has? The repair points for the balloon and turning engines could be there.

My other concern is that the 3 fields have so much overlap - mercury sniping with 3 might be possible (and would be terrible). What if the back and front guns are turned just a little bit away from center? It would mitigate the front/rear blindspot a bit, which kinda sucks because its a defining feature of the ship, but it would stop potential triple merc fire.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 06:06:14 pm »
This is the coolest ship concept I've seen in a while. Obviously engineering difficulty always needs to be tweaked and the guns would have to turn so you can't triple merc but I wants to fly one now.

Offline Thaago

• Salutes: 12
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 08:52:49 pm »
This thread inspired me to chip in with one of my own - I'm terrible at drawing, so I used a quick 3d editor to mock it up. The idea isn't nearly as interesting as the first post, but its what my brain spat out :P. The balloon repair is marked in blue, hull in red, double barreled guns are medium mount. The pilot station is unmarked (oops!) upper deck forward. There is a ladder in between decks. Rigging, support,  and grating on mid deck missing.

The Fortress (twist on the galleon, but same role):

Pros:
Heavy Firepower
Only rear blindspot
  - Medium and light gun in 3 directions
  - lights have small overlaps with wide angle weapons.
3 distinct duty stations
Good hull and armor

Cons:
Medium max speed, but very slow turning
Poor upwards and downwards visibility
Slow traversing between decks
Large target balloon

Offline BdrLineAzn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 103
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 12:48:29 am »
Thaago and Ccrack, both ship designs look amazing and awesome.

The Sailfish, to me it has that nice Cosair look to it by the sails and body. I also agree with having a bottom deck to hold the balloon component and access to side turning engines. With the three guns broadside, maybe have the middle gun poin straight out and have the fore and aft guns pointed out in either direction, maybe 45 degrees, so it still have some overlap but so only two weapons can have sight at the target, and to have the third gun in arc, you have to turn the ship a bit. There is also another concept I was thinking, when I saw the size comparison between the Galleon and this, I notice near the forward bow, there maybe room to add one heavy gun to the ship. What popped into my head was have one side have a lower deck heavy weapon and top deck single light weapon, and the other broadside have the the three angled light weapons, to shake things up a bit.

Thaago, you ship looks like the da Vinci tank design. It's nice looking, almost like a Spire 2.0 with the tower structure but bigger like on roids :P. The angled heavy guns is a nice touch where you can't have two overlap, but you can't approach it's front or side too long or get shot out. It maybe too much, but I don't know, it something I have to imagine to see it in battle.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 12:53:30 am »
Thaago, that's a really cool ship design and I know for a fact the next ship Muse makes will have a medium gun mount so they might even draw inspiration from this.

I do think that much firepower going forward will probably unbalance it but it's great to see new and innovative ship designs from the community.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 08:32:22 am »
I made a similar suggestion some time ago like ccrack did now.

Only main diffrence is that I suggested that everything is below deck, giving a lot of blindspots.

so +1 yours is better described :p

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 49
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 01:50:52 pm »
lurking through topics like this as always, cool stuff so far.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 08:01:10 pm »
I had a design called the fortess. It's gimmic was that it could go on lockdown, shutting down engines and buffing hull a ton.

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 02:41:30 am »
I once had an idea for a ship called "The Walrus"
I designed it that it had two medium guns up front, but pointing away from each other at an angle so their lines of fire only cross at a distance. And there would also be two light guns toward the middle of the ship that faced in the same direction as their respective medium gun, meaning the ship could either use both medium guns against a rather distant target, or a medium/light dualfecta by tilting the ship sideways a bit. It's downside would be a completely exposed rear. Also, it would have two spikes on the front (Like a walrus).