Author Topic: What I Notice about GoIO and Why its Population has Been Decreasing  (Read 81812 times)

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
Re: What I Notice about GoIO and Why its Population has Been Decreasing
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2013, 07:52:26 am »
Noone came to my rescue when I needed some troll removed from my team yesterday.

I wasn't witness to what happened, but there is one thing that I think is worth bringing up - lack of response can be a language issue sometimes - I usually run through "Do you speak English", "Sprachen sie Deutsch", "Parlez vous Francaise", "govorit' na russkom yazyke?" at which point they'll usually respond with what language they speak. You might not be able to comm but at least you know they're not trolling you.

However, a confirmed trolling, ie you speak the same language and they are clearly being ass-chapeaux, then use the report function, ask everyone in the game lobby to use the report function then tell the troll they will probably lose their account, I've only had to do this once with a crew of 3 trolls, but they left the match immediately.

Offline Serenum

• Salutes: 12
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2013, 08:41:15 am »
so you have a ship and 3 trolls spawn in and kick you off - wacha gonna do?

I'll report them and then find another game in less then a minute.
That said, I haven't seen many trolls in this game.

Offline Adino

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2013, 01:17:36 pm »
Institute a requirement-to-join function. A Captain would be able to set minimum level, required class, required mic usage, and required amount of thumbs-ups. Those things ought to be useful for something, anyway.

Problem solved. No kick function necessary.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2013, 02:25:07 pm »
Not too sure about the others, particularly commendations, but required class would be really nice.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2013, 09:12:00 pm »
I don't know much about coding, but would it be too far of a leap to include requested A.I. classes from there?

Offline Barujin

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2013, 05:38:33 am »
I've wanted chosen AI a lot. I don't understand why we must tollerate random AIs.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2013, 05:43:17 am »
so you have a ship and 3 trolls spawn in and kick you off - wacha gonna do?

I'll report them and then find another game in less then a minute.
That said, I haven't seen many trolls in this game.
I was referring to having a kick vote used against you - a common occurrence in any multiplayer game with a kick vote, and I'm sure that's one of the reasons Muse doesn't want to implement it.

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2013, 08:33:09 am »
Institute a requirement-to-join function. A Captain would be able to set minimum level, required class, required mic usage, and required amount of thumbs-ups. Those things ought to be useful for something, anyway.

Problem solved. No kick function necessary.
That's a pretty good idea. The kick function should still be there for damage control(in case one of the players didn't take his medication).

Offline QKO

• [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2013, 08:42:27 am »
I was referring to having a kick vote used against you - a common occurrence in any multiplayer game with a kick vote, and I'm sure that's one of the reasons Muse doesn't want to implement it.
It's not common for people to be kicked without reason. I've already provided you with examples of how players kick and how dedicated they are in kicking you once you trigger them. The trick simply is not to trigger them and you won't get kicked.  I have played that game(Alliance of Variant Arms) for a few years and I got kicked maybe 30 times? My behavior in 15 of those 30 times might have been questionable, the other 15 times was when I entered standard level games with a noob account(we call those the green ranks), which are more likely to be dicks in the first place. And at such a point, it just happens; and you move on to the next game. But still, 30 kicks for over 1000 games, it's not really a number to worry about.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2013, 09:40:30 am »

It's not common for people to be kicked without reason.

You are working with the supposition that you'll be dealing with people willing or at least able to dialogue and compromise, in short like yourself.

Trolls don't tend to do either, as the point of trolling isn't to be reasonable - it is to provoke a strong reaction for kicks. Trolls are quite inventive, continually calling kick votes so you get a dialogue opening up every 2 seconds during matches, teaming with other trolls to kick teamates or on servers that don't have manual kick votes but kick for certain behaviours, needling team-mates into committing kickable offences so they are auto-kicked. Then they switch sides and do it all again, rinse and repeat.

Vote kicks may pander to your desire to get revenge but kicking and kick votes are so open to abuse that in many multi player games with those functions, most public servers remove the ability to kick vote for casual users, totally defeating the kick system. In other words vote kicks make more trouble than they actually solve.

In GoIOL, besides the typical chat troll blurping out white power slogans or slagging off <insert religion/cultural icon here>,  I've witnessed/been party to 3 trolling events at at different levels of escalation (all in the past month I might though this may be coincidence - I was forced to stop playing for a couple of months). The first was settled by the players in the match through verbal reasoning, the second by getting a CA involved as the players in the match didn't carry enough weight for the player and the 3rd went as far as getting a Muse representative (all of whom are empowered with kick bans) involved before the player began listening to verbal reasoning. In all 3 cases the end result was the trolling stopped and normal play resumed uninterrupted, for me that is a system that works.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 09:53:17 am by Calico Jack »

Offline QKO

• [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2013, 10:25:19 am »
No, I'm speaking from experience. People don't just get kicked, not in AVA, not in quakeworld, not in quakelive and not in quake3 or any other game up to this point. People have always been consenting adults with these kind of things and it has worked out great so far.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2013, 02:00:57 pm »
People are still discussing the lack of a kick function in this thread? Realy?

Aside from the fact that you have completely deviated from the point of this thread, the discussion is pretty pointless, sinse this function will never get implemented in this game most likely.

And to add the real discussion, in my opinion lack of variety is what this game doesn't have and costs it a lot of population and despite how much I love it, I've started feeling it strongly.

Due to how the weapons work some weapon slots have defacto weapons that go in them, even light weaponry that has a variety of weapons is limited due to the efficiency of some. As for the heavy guns, there are only 4 of them, 1 of which is just a bigger finisher than the regular flak, which is pretty boring for a heavy gun.

At least 1 of the ships of this game is pretty horrible in the most played game mode, which is 2v2. Ships with light weapons end up being the same each time and ships with heavy weapons have limited choices, let alone the mere existance of the Galleon cripples the introduction of new heavy guns since everything needs to be balanced around it.

Also the last update didn't realy add much, the ship is fine and all, but still, just like the Spire, too weak to hold on its own and countered very easily. The mine launcher is a fun gun, but not used due to the wonky nature of it, so yeah I'm ranting about the lack of weapons used and lack of variety of the heavier weapons.

I want more guns.. v .v

Offline QKO

• [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2013, 06:40:27 pm »
Weapons themselves don't create variety. It's the game modes and the area's you end up in.

I was thinking about having weapon pick ups back again. Ships get their basic weapon that can do some things but not all things. They can chose the mount point and that is it, there's one point filled with a weapon slot. Then after the game starts, the ship has to move around the map to get the weapons it needs. Same way health and armor pickups can be done. (Yes, it's a throwback to the 90s; quake ftw :D)

Also, a variation on capture the flag would be nice. Hmph, defense of the ancients anyone?:D 5 vs 5 zeppelin style of course :D

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2013, 12:44:41 am »
No, I'm speaking from experience. People don't just get kicked, not in AVA, not in quakeworld, not in quakelive and not in quake3 or any other game up to this point. People have always been consenting adults with these kind of things and it has worked out great so far.

Good to see you in game - lets play a match or 2 together next time.

Anyway back to the debate. I have to admit though - I find your position paradoxical, if everyone is behaving like adults why do you feel you need a kick option? Yet I'm the one saying (a small minority of) persistently unreasonable players exist and need to be handled in a different  manner.

Offline QKO

• [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2013, 04:06:03 am »

Good to see you in game - lets play a match or 2 together next time.

Anyway back to the debate. I have to admit though - I find your position paradoxical, if everyone is behaving like adults why do you feel you need a kick option? Yet I'm the one saying (a small minority of) persistently unreasonable players exist and need to be handled in a different  manner.
I didn't say everyone, I said people, as in people in general. Of course there's a percentage of people that are the targets of kicks because they are obviously not behaving like adults.