Author Topic: Spire Discussion.  (Read 24365 times)

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Spire Discussion.
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2013, 11:02:19 pm »
I find the Spire to be consistently bad when a Pyramidion-only captain decides that full forward throttle and guns blazing is the only way to fight.  If you choose your loadout carefully, you can engage and destroy ships well beyond their weapons' maximum ranges.    Most pilots aren't willing to stop and maintain proper distance.  That's the real weakness of the Spire.

Offline NikolaiLev

• Salutes: 4
    • [Fur]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2013, 07:23:36 pm »
A spire, currently, is best properly played as a long-range sniper ship that relies on kiting.  Buff its speed and you make it too good at that (though there is usually counterplay to sniping as almost every map has cover, but this leads to uninteresting interactions, especially on more open maps).

Buffing its firepower is hard to do, and doing so is a risky proposition as, again, you make it better at what it already does well.

Buffing its survivability across the board seems to be the most reasonable option.  The problem with this being, the Spire is basically a competitor with the Galleon in terms of a niche, and the Galleon will almost always outshoot the Spire thanks to its dual heavy weapons, not to mention it's far tankier.

By the way, unless the ship rebalance touched more than I remember, the Galleon is in fact faster than the Spire, at least in terms of top speed.  It's obviously got horrible turn speed, but that's arguably not horribly important.

A slight but all-around buff could be wise; it could use a little more speed, a little more armor, and a lot more hull.  Not much can be done with the guns, though making the top right weapon face forward could help it in terms of versatility.

Another idea I had was instead of modifying its stats, it could be given a top right forward facing light weapon, and a right facing gun next to it.  This essentially "splits" the current top right weapon, and gives it a guaranteed two forward facing weapons, as well as side protection.  I like this adjustment the best, because the Spire is supposed to be a glass cannon, and thus should offer the best firepower.  It should rival the Galleon.  Unfortunately, this is difficult to do without giving it a second heavy weapon, but, it's also possible to give it a second bottom light weapon to enable a potential, blistering four weapons on target assuming the pilot is unneeded (which is seldom the case, which would give this adjustment counterplay in the form of keeping the pilot busy).

Giving the Spire a couple more guns would not only reinforce its role as a glass cannon, it also affords it excellent versatility by sheer volume of weaponry.  That'd do well to boost it up into competitive territory, don't you agree?

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2013, 08:35:35 pm »
A little bit more perma-hull and the top right gun facing forward would realy give it some redeeming quality and make it a lighter version of the Galleon, with 2-Light/1-Heavy instead of the 2-Heavy/1-Light setup the Galleon has. I would still be slow and fragile, but at least it would have a place in sniping instead of being outclassed by the Galleon all the time.

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2013, 12:26:57 pm »
I like the two forward facing light guns idea, but people will certainly find a way to make it seem overpowered. Like dual Field Guns and a heavy Flak would be pure evil, two gats and Hwacha would also hurt.
You could probably turn the top front gun to the left at a 45° angle, and the top right gun 45° degrees as well, offering a more or less 180° firing arc where you could get an easy trifecta but not with mercuries.

I certainly wouldn't want to approach a Spite from the front.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2013, 02:43:14 pm »
If it can't get 2 Mercuries on one target then it's not a feasible sniper. A Galleon can take mercury hits, a Spire can't. It's a weak ship, it needs the extra fire power.