Author Topic: Trader Airship WIP  (Read 20965 times)

Offline Lt. Morgan

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
Trader Airship WIP
« on: June 17, 2013, 12:14:34 pm »
Greetings Fellow Aviators! Some of you may have met me in game, and probably more then a few haven't seen me yet. Nonetheless, I am a digital arts student, and decided to mix a little of homework with fan-dom. Currently I'm in the middle of making a 3d model to texture for my class, and figured I would share the progress of it.

This is a bit of a quick planning for the texture and coloration of the front and side view. Mind you, it has no engines, air pump, what have you as I haven't really had any time to model those yet. Hope you enjoy nonetheless

Offline Lt. Morgan

• View Profile
Re: Trader Airship WIP
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 08:02:10 pm »
And a little bit more on the work in progress, now in 3d!

After reading some more on the fluff for Guns of Icarus, perhaps this could be a small Guild ship for traveling short distances?

And a quick coloration test.

I chose blue and yellow as the primaries for several reasons. Blue is often associated with the notion of trust, and as a trade ship that seems rather important when coming to a port! And, since blue and yellow, if done right, can look rather splendid, a bamboo coloration for the boat was inevitable.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 08:05:13 pm by Etzikal »

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 11:21:13 pm »
This is pretty cool, can't wait to see some more detail!

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 03:58:46 am »
How do you prevent the balloon from slipping from under the ropes?

Otherwise I have no questions, just thumbs up and keep up the very nice work. ^^

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 08:55:46 am »
Could be sewn into the ropes or something.

Then again, most of the airships in GoI probably wouldn't fly without the hand-wavey physics going on!

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 04:27:45 pm »
Could be sewn into the ropes or something.

Then again, most of the airships in GoI probably wouldn't fly without the hand-wavey physics going on!
If they are sewn, changing the ropes would be a pain in the donkey.

Offline Lt. Morgan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 10:36:59 pm »
My original idea was there was loops that helped hold them down, kind of like what you have for holding a belt in.

Offline Lt. Morgan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 02:29:04 pm »
So at school we have something called "Dailies", which is basically an update on the work we have to do. Since my class will be a few weeks long, I'll try to post the dailies I get for people's viewing pleasure.

This is the project as it is presently, with what is known as a Bump map and the wireframe on.

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 12:12:32 pm »
My original idea was there was loops that helped hold them down, kind of like what you have for holding a belt in.
just make them wide enough so the ropes can't that easily move around, and I am convinced. :)

Followwing your progress with interest. ^^

Offline Lt. Morgan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 06:38:15 pm »
Chances are that I'll have to wait for the MK2 to flush it out with the ropes. As the model stands is what I have to work with. the MK 2 will have at least engines and a fix to this little issue.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 02:03:16 am »
I've been loving the updates on this.  I really do like the idea of smaller ships that could populate a space, especially as the game expands more.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 07:21:31 am »
Yeah I could definately see this as a smaller Guild or Chaladonian trading vessel. Though the balloon seems a little barren.

Offline Lt. Morgan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 10:20:41 am »
It is barren as I am still deciding what texture format to use on it. I'm thinking of using a fabric similar to what you see on the Spire's Balloon

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 10:42:54 am »
Oh I was just going from your concept in the OP, like maybe some cloths, net or rigging over the balloon itself. But on the other hand, maybe you already have a plan to make it look good, heh

Offline Lt. Morgan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 02:37:26 pm »
Well in the wise words of professor Farnsworth, "good news everybody!"

I am trying to use the bump map to help with both the faded look of the balloon, and the texture. There will be more added, but there were a few things I have yet to fix. (please note, I cant adjust the rope in the current format and this isnt the view of it in the final)