Author Topic: Trader Airship WIP  (Read 20832 times)

Offline Mr. Mask

• Salutes: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Trader Airship WIP
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 05:35:57 pm »
So, Where is the furnace? And the engine?

I mean i dig the archeic, old-world look but it seems like this thing would just be a floating object with little practical application.

It has a rudder, but no wings, sails or engines. How does it manouver?

Doesnt seem to have any function for lifting or sinking either, Having a sealed balloon.

And if you want me to be even more annoying, Doesnt seem to have much deck-space for strapping on crates of goods.

I dont mean to be a total buzzkill here, i know you came on here looking for some fuel for your creativity, i do it myself.
But id suggest a revision of your design, taking in consideration practical aspects aswell as the purely aestethic ones. I promise you your designs will end up far better if you blend beauty with function.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 05:46:23 pm by Mr. Mask »

Offline Lt. Morgan

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 05:47:56 pm »
I mentioned well beforehand none of these are modelled at the moment and would be made in Mk2.

Offline Mr. Mask

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 05:54:10 pm »
Fair enough, Ill be excited to see your results.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 03:18:10 am »
I definitely like the look of it, and it could use some of the stuff previously mentioned. All I'm eager is to see how you improve, post more I'd love to see it.

Offline Lt. Morgan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 11:28:32 am »
As people have asked, so I shall do.

This isn't the final coloration for the model but it's pretty close considering what my teacher is asking of me.

Offline Mr. Mask

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2013, 05:32:47 am »
You sure you dont wanna tie those riggings to the hull itself and not the wooden superstructure, because i gotta say it looks rather flimsy.

Offline Lt. Morgan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 09:46:09 pm »
I can't really edit the model Until Mk2. this was more or less made so I had something for class that wasn't just another used game model. That said, I need to redo the strings anyways once I get out of my texture and lighting class.

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 49
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2013, 10:30:32 pm »
reminds me of when i started. . except i didn't have no fancy bump maps/normal maps like you youngins these days. .

Offline Lt. Morgan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2013, 11:07:30 am »
I'll take that as a positive comment then.

Offline Lt. Morgan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 05:00:19 am »
and now for a new update, now with more rotation!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1o-UaKi8mo

I apologize that the timing for the rotation was off, but rendering for the video took a few hours at my school. Next week though will be the finale for this project (as far as school is concerned), and I should have a nicer video for people to see.

Offline Lt. Morgan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 05:25:49 pm »
Ok so it has been a while, and with a new name change! (people had problems pronouncing the other one so it seemed a good idea) .

SO my finals are over and I am in the process of updating the images I have. Here is the final version of the mk1 ship:

With that said, I hope you enjoy. The review of my project by my fellow classmates was given a mixed review. Some thought it was good, while others thought I should take the class again. Just another reminder that people in this world are crazy.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2013, 08:16:43 pm »
When faced with a diversity of criticism its good if I discover the root of each observation rather than their generalization.  This can help me form a better idea of whether or not the  criticism is useful to me or not.
For example, if I write a short story with the intent to explore a kind of syntax or language form like Old Victorian.  If a criticism is about the story itself, that is not useful to me, though I do file it away for consideration when I intend to write a complete story.  If the critic expressed a problem with my verb form or word usage being out of period, like the wrong costume at a play, then this is of concern to me and can be used to improve my writing.

I can't judge what you've made, I don't understand the context of the class.  If it was to simply render a shape using multiple textures that casts a shadow and has the appearance of actual varnished pine (Serious, it looks like a very nice table I built years ago, I can see the grain wave from thin varnish gloss very nice touch) then this is a success.