Author Topic: How'd you find GoI?  (Read 25216 times)

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
How'd you find GoI?
« on: June 07, 2013, 07:48:14 am »
I know a bunch (or maybe just some) found this game at PAX only a few months ago.
Others encountered a steam sale, and decided to pick it up. I did both.

I'm just a bit curious, how did you first hear about/see the game?

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: How'd you find GoI?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 08:00:24 am »
Somebody I know started playing in beta, and when he showed it to me I was hooked. That was back in October.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 08:04:49 am »
I kinda just found it....

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 08:17:45 am »
I had seen the original game on steam sales over the years. Some said it was a must buy for the price but others kept saying it was a simplistic shooter and not that great. The concept had me curious so I kept an eye on it. Then I saw the Online beta added to Steam and heard of the original Kickstarter. Watched the vid. Interest perked a little more but I had a large library of Steam games unplayed and Kickstarter backing wasn't my thing. Decided I'd wait till it went on sale. Kept it in the wishlist.

Then December came and there it was 50% off. Hesitated but just looked at it again and decided, what the heck. Even bought a 4 pack cause a friend of mine is more into Steampunk stuff/etc. Now I still have a long list of Steam games to play and Guns playtime is past 500hrs. Which is double my 2nd most played game, Left 4 Dead. I haven't even had any desire to go back to BF3 which was getting close to 200hrs I think.

Oh I did finally buy the original GOI. Not for sale price either. Decided I'd do it at least to support Muse. Can't say I hate it, but can't say I like it a ton either. I like the art and the game atmosphere but the game itself reminded me some old Jaguar CD games. Not bad but like dawn of polygon gaming era level. Glad Muse gave it another go with GOIO.

Offline timmymonsta

• Salutes: 16
    • [BSSN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 08:19:55 am »
About a month ago, I saw a video that was made by the youtuber that goes by the name of criken. The video itself was amazingly funny, but I also really liked how the game looked. I bought it with a couple friends and even though they essentially have left it, I've stay addicted to the game since. here's the link to the video if anyone wants to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPWSRndwRsk

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 08:32:36 am »
I saw it first at the Kickstarter Arcade at PAX East 2012, and thought it looked cool. Promptly forgot about it until I saw it at PAX this year. We saw it on Friday and picked up the 4-pack that night. Went back the next day and asked one of the people working the booth (turned out it was Bubbles) how not to suck. He gave us some tips on flying a gat-flak pyr.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 08:53:14 am »
I remember he advocated the use of Tar Barrel too.

"It's actually a lot more powerful then people think!"
Since then I've had my off-and-on love affair with it. In CP matches it's lulz.
I think being able to talk to Bubbles really raised the profile of the game for me.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 11:04:11 am »
While I saw it on steam at some point, I picked it up because of the HAWP guys back a while ago.

Offline Sentinel Guy

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 11:26:22 am »
I build a lot of random stuff in my spare time (from wargames kits to PCs to furniture).  I just happened to be attempting to build a steam punk themed airship for some wargames I was planning to do.  When I Googled steam punk airships GoI came up.

Then I went straight to Steam.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 11:30:47 am »
Yup, found it at PAX East back in March with Plasma and DMaximus. Went home Friday night and installed it, and then came back to the Muse booth later in the weekend to ask Bubbles how to stop failing so hard. Gave us some tips, which was pretty cool to be able to have that sort of interaction with the developer of the game.

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 02:35:29 pm »
I searched "steampunk" into steam and found the first game...

Offline Audie Murphy

• Salutes: 5
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 05:06:30 pm »
TotalBiscuit and the guys at TGS introduced me. Saw the video they did where they fought with you guys, and the game just looked stellar.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 06:20:36 pm »
It was recommended to me on Kickstarter, so I popped in some money because, the idea sounded interesting.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 06:30:49 pm »
One of my friends I game a lot with told me to buy it since he and two other of his friends were playing it and having a blast and needed another crew member.  They stopped playing a week later, I didn't, that was in December.

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 08:05:45 pm »
My sister wanted someone to play with, then just bought it for me with the Steam-sale. I was like "wut" and she was like "Fly, you fool!"