Author Topic: The Cogs - Season 2 Rules and Format  (Read 81388 times)

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: The Cogs - Season 2 Rules and Format
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2013, 01:31:32 am »
I would like to echo the question of why PaFa got to choose their seed. We had the whole battle for the 3st so it seems like their seeding is clearly locked higher than Polaris.

Swallow, I understand the core concept of cogs and of course once we get into the actual weeks everything will be much simpler. the issue is that the seeding order from the two round robins changed a few times between what was posted in the op, didn't match some messages, requests for revisions, and comments made in the stream. what has been posted in the forums doesn't make everything overly clear but by going back on your later messages the order I am assuming is this for the 3 slot

3a BFS
3b ZMM
3c Gent
3d RM
3e Raft

Is this correct?

Offline Swallox

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2013, 03:44:35 am »
Why is it that pafa gets to choose their seed but Brood doesn't?

I'm not quite sure... At this point it's gotten a little confused either way.

I would like to echo the question of why PaFa got to choose their seed. We had the whole battle for the 3st so it seems like their seeding is clearly locked higher than Polaris.

Swallow, I understand the core concept of cogs and of course once we get into the actual weeks everything will be much simpler. the issue is that the seeding order from the two round robins changed a few times between what was posted in the op, didn't match some messages, requests for revisions, and comments made in the stream. what has been posted in the forums doesn't make everything overly clear but by going back on your later messages the order I am assuming is this for the 3 slot

3a BFS
3b ZMM
3c Gent
3d RM
3e Raft

Is this correct?

Yes.

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2013, 05:24:34 pm »
Just realized that with the MM's "seed" in the cogs, it actually would have been more advantageous for us to be one of the Newcomers. Kinda weird.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2013, 12:51:00 pm »
Just realized that with the MM's "seed" in the cogs, it actually would have been more advantageous for us to be one of the Newcomers. Kinda weird.
Yeah, doesn't make any sense to me. I understand having the worst seed out of the other quarterfinalists from season 1, but surely we should still be ahead of the newcomers? Meh, what's done is done.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2013, 03:38:41 pm »
But think of the prestige of your current spot!

Offline Brick Hardcastle

• Salutes: 12
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2013, 07:11:15 am »
Yeah, doesn't make any sense to me. I understand having the worst seed out of the other quarterfinalists from season 1, but surely we should still be ahead of the newcomers? Meh, what's done is done.

I think the idea was that in our group of three, we were all guaranteed a spot in the Cogs, win or lose. If ZFG had turned up, one of the newcomers would've been ejected. So I guess it's a trade of position for safety?

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2013, 06:03:55 pm »
Probably worth mentioning that tarcide will be gone in 1.3 (along with potential minecide), and kills we be credited to the other team in the event of such suicide happening (but only if the other team previously dealt damage). No more reason to worry about that now.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2013, 10:20:17 pm »
Yeah, all the babies cried and they caved like I thought would happen. Yet after it was used once, no one ever used it so in the end...it was funny to watch everyone panic over something so insignificant. Lot of ruffled feathers over nothin.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2013, 10:56:33 pm »
Oh you hush.

Offline Ataris

• Salutes: 20
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2013, 01:12:03 am »
Don't be so sure about lack of consequences, Gilder, as far as COG's matches are the top matches of the game they are very an exemplar to follow. That hull hp uplift wasn't so significant for the squid but it could make real difference on a stronger ship.

However, i'm glad that you brought this to a question even in the middle of a stream because you have shown the issue officially and that was also intriguing for the viewers.

Offline Swallox

• Community Ambassador
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2013, 03:03:18 am »
Yeah, all the babies cried and they caved like I thought would happen. Yet after it was used once, no one ever used it so in the end...it was funny to watch everyone panic over something so insignificant. Lot of ruffled feathers over nothin.

...I wouldn't have put it quite like this, but I agree with the latter portion of Gilder's post... It really was a panic over nothing in hindsight.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2013, 03:08:46 am »
At the end of the day I think the change has a bit more to do with mines than taracide; as self inflicted mine deaths are quite a common occurrence in the beta test right now.

Otherwise you could just run up and lochnagar facemine suicide everyone non stop til you won the match. 

Entertaining I'm sure, but probably not balanced.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2013, 06:11:03 pm »
The Brood was running short on players today and was going to use some of the Raft crew, until they were informed that any player playing on team x cannot play on team y the following week. May you point out where this rule is stated, since I certainly don't see it anywhere?

Substitutes and Backups are permitted, but they are not permitted to play for more than one team a week.
This is to prevent floating players that switch teams and play every week, although it's not perfect. Players caught skirting this and playing for multiple other teams during their team's off-weeks to boost their positions will be dealt with. Let teams rise and fall on their own merits, not on the merits of their substitutes.

All it says is that people can only play on one team per week.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2013, 11:28:31 am »
The Brood was running short on players today and was going to use some of the Raft crew, until they were informed that any player playing on team x cannot play on team y the following week. May you point out where this rule is stated, since I certainly don't see it anywhere?

Substitutes and Backups are permitted, but they are not permitted to play for more than one team a week.
This is to prevent floating players that switch teams and play every week, although it's not perfect. Players caught skirting this and playing for multiple other teams during their team's off-weeks to boost their positions will be dealt with. Let teams rise and fall on their own merits, not on the merits of their substitutes.

All it says is that people can only play on one team per week.

Anybody? Maybe? This really killed the Brood's match yesterday.

Offline Swallox

• Community Ambassador
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2013, 11:54:18 am »
I've already talked about this with both Jace and Squash... Bouncing members between teams to maximise a team's chances is unacceptable either way, but I admit that I have also screwed up. The quoted rule is last season's setup... Which relied a lot on players not abusing the trust given to them. For this season, a new rule was planned and written up, but I failed to put it in this rules thread... Like everything else I do on this forum, I missed the details.

I'll update it later this week... But as a sidenote: The Ducks were scheduled to play three matches with three teams yesterday... Which means that you should have been prepared to field three teams. So I'm afraid I have to call bullshit on Brood's lack of members, as I only told Squash and Smollett of the changes a couple of hours before the matches.

If the Ducks are unable to field three unique crews, they should not have three unique teams. It's really that simple.