Author Topic: Morbie's new tourney; "The captains tourney". [INFO]  (Read 33758 times)

Offline Morbie

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 22
    • [Sexy]
    • View Profile
Morbie's new tourney; "The captains tourney". [INFO]
« on: June 01, 2013, 11:41:50 pm »
Welcome to another tourney!
With the past success of the Fjords tournament, followed by the ever-growing success of the cogs, and now the Sky Tournament, I feel it is time for me to venture back into organising and running a torunament. However this time, the tournament will be a one day deal, 2-3 hours of play, and only targeted towards a portion of the player base. This is to help me in organising a smaller 'cool down' after the mass run of highly competitive play.

Tournament Date: 29/6/2013
Tournament Time: 3pm EST

About The Captain’s Tourney:
The captain’s tourney is a tournament based around finding who could be the top captain in the game, balancing their ship loadouts, equipped items, and an Ai crew. The tournament involves 16 captains going head to head in 1v1 situations, vying to be the number one captain of GoI.

Format:
The tournament is a standard bracket system, with each pairing being best out of one. Prior to the tournament’s start, all captains will be randomised into brackets and paired together. from this stage, the winners of each pairing will progress into the bracket until defeated.
The matches will be hard capped at 30 minutes length, with any match reaching this going to the player with the most kills. In the event of a tie at the 30 minute mark, the game will play to the next kill.

Nitty gritty do’s and don’ts.
The amount of players is capped at 16.
Due to the hard cap of players, a clan may only field a maximum of two players in the tournament. This is to make sure the larger clans do not flood the tournament with 10 players and by doing so, stop newer players from trying their luck.

Signups are open! https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1332.0.html

A bit more stuff in a less professional format, also known as ‘Morbie’s ramble’:
Alright, so yes there are only a small number of spots open for this game, but I’m sure you can all understand why. For those who can’t, here’s the reason; It’ll still probably be many many hours long with just 16 players, and generally speaking, we want to stream a lot of this and the streamers can’t keep it up for another 5 hour chunk. If there is mass interest, then this could turn into a recurring event. If not, I have another few things planned. And I suppose we should discuss prizes while we're at it. At this stage, nothing other then winning! This is a small thing, organised only by your dear Morbie, so currently there will be no prizes. <-- subject to change over the coming weeks.

Morbie's respone to questions section: (To be filled out as players ask questions in this thread)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:11:45 am by -Muse- Morbie »

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Morbie's new tourney; "The captains tourney". [INFO]
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 11:45:04 pm »
a clan may only field a maximum of two players in the tournament

Damn, so much for my double-gat Pyra entry.

Offline Morbie

• CA Mod
    • [Sexy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 11:45:43 pm »

And here was me thinking the 1v1 side of things would crush that.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 11:47:38 pm »

And here was me thinking the 1v1 side of things would crush that.

It probably will. To be honest, having it be 1v1 will likely end up meaning a whole lot of gatflak. Still, looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 12:00:20 am »
Dabblers and Divers, feathered fowl and flappy footed, Quack Quack Ducks! This is a Pond Announcement:

If you are a captain on The Paddling, Brood or Raft (you know who you are), please don't apply to this for at least 48 hours after signups open. There's only two spots for Quackers and it would be best to let some new bloods try their hand.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:04:52 am by Squash »

Offline Linen

• Salutes: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 09:38:23 pm »
Oooh. Replying to subscribe to thread.

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 09:53:34 pm »
I see no mention of the actual start time of this tournament, but... I'm assuming this is going to be another standard Saturday ~5PM EST affair? Two days from now is way too far out for me to call if I will be able to have that specific day off. Yet again, I am out, I suppose.  :-[

I consider myself to be a competent player, and would really like to test the competitive scene to see how well I will do. Having every single event on the same day of the week and at the same time will continue to very likely exclude me from everything. I know that competitive players far outside of the US regularly wake up in the middle of the night in order to make it to the 5PM EST start time. Perhaps something could be scheduled late night for US players, so they would have an earlier start, and I would actually be able to participate. I am more than willing to forgo sleep in order to play, but unfortunately I cannot call off work just for a tournament.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 09:57:46 pm by dragonmere »

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 09:57:25 pm »
I see no mention of the actual start time of this tournament,

29/6/2013 seems to be the game date.

Offline FightBoyVash

• Salutes: 20
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
    • Redstone Rampaga
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 12:25:40 am »
Dabblers and Divers, feathered fowl and flappy footed, Quack Quack Ducks! This is a Pond Announcement:

If you are a captain on The Paddling, Brood or Raft (you know who you are), please don't apply to this for at least 48 hours after signups open. There's only two spots for Quackers and it would be best to let some new bloods try their hand.

I appreciate the extra duckiness you put in to that.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 12:58:54 am »
Hmmm...think I am unavailable that day. I'll have to check.

Offline Mattisamo

• Salutes: 12
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 06:20:39 am »
1v1 situations

Considering the smallest maps are currently 2v2, how are you going to solve this?
Or is there finally a 1v1 map coming out?!

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 07:36:14 am »
1v1 situations

Considering the smallest maps are currently 2v2, how are you going to solve this?

Extremely simple: one organizer/ref/etc grabs a captain slot on each time and does nothing.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 09:55:20 am »
I love it morbie, however I will be attending family vacation on the date.
Corvus will however be signing up.

Offline Morbie

• CA Mod
    • [Sexy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 06:16:14 pm »
1v1 situations

Extremely simple: one organizer/ref/etc grabs a captain slot on each time and does nothing.

Even more simple! Remember that horrible horrible say, Sunderland? And that glorious code? Yeah. that. No 1v1 map yet, sorry folks.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 06:34:05 pm »
1v1 situations

Even more simple! Remember that horrible horrible say, Sunderland? And that glorious code? Yeah. that. No 1v1 map yet, sorry folks.

I didn't think of that.

That was a really tough day.