Author Topic: The Mobula  (Read 320289 times)

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
Re: The Mobula
« Reply #375 on: July 07, 2013, 09:42:40 am »
I wont be flying this

Neither will I.  I can't decide if the Mobula is squishier than the Spire, or not.  Slow and with a 200+ degree blind spot.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 07, 2013, 09:54:40 am »
More health and armour than the Spire, plus the hull area on the front is very small. But damn, that blind spot...

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #377 on: July 07, 2013, 10:06:14 am »
The one real complaint I have with the mobula is not even that engineering is a pain, but that it's boring.

One of my favorite things about engineering is learning the ins and outs of every ship -- figuring out how to get from point A to point B in the shortest time possible, since every second counts when you're under fire. There are plenty of "tricks" if you will -- jumping from the railing to main deck on pyramidion is one of the most basic, and then things like repairing the hull from underneath on a junker, etc. On the mobula, there are no tricks, because there's one way to get to most things. To get to the hull, there's a singular hallway that leads to a cramped room that has the hull and nothing else. Normally when I'm repairing the hull, I'm also keeping my eyes on the action so I know who's hitting us with what and where the enemy is coming from; I'm also using my spyglass to spot enemies between cooldowns if they're unspotted. With the mobula's hull, however, I can see the hull and nothing else. It makes my job extremely boring and my usefulness feels pretty low because I'm no longer helping out my captain by keeping my eyes on what's going on around us. I know there's a gun down the hall from the hull that I'd be using when I got the chance as well, but when repairing it's incredibly dull. All I'd ask for is more ways to get to things to keep my job a little more interesting. A connecting hallway between the hull and balloon, a couple more ladders, etc.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 10:08:11 am by Surette »

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 49
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 07, 2013, 07:53:24 pm »
taking notes, taking notes, taking notes.

not sure how the mobula will evolve from here (to early to tell) outside of some rope colliders in places that don't interfere(you win you scallywags), but all these points i'm going to keep in mind for ships to come whether i'm the one making it or not

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 07, 2013, 08:17:35 pm »
I have the worst stupidest most silly idea ever. What if there was a broken beam off the back of the ship where you could either jump between the back engine areas or fall to your doom.

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 07, 2013, 09:16:31 pm »
annd yeap. . captain phoenix is it, found the easter egg already, didn't even let met give any clues to, wasn't expecting anything different though (its posted on the guns of icarus facebook page unless i missed it here)

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 07, 2013, 10:19:50 pm »
So, it seems like there might be some way to glitch your way from the engines back to the top deck, and I really hope I can figure it out.

Offline Moo

• Salutes: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 07, 2013, 10:48:43 pm »
You can keep jumping and eventually get up, but it takes some time, probably quicker to go the long way round.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 07, 2013, 11:52:02 pm »
You can keep jumping and eventually get up, but it takes some time, probably quicker to go the long way round.

Yeah, if only there was a ledge that was a regular way to get up so some parkour could evolve.

Offline RomanKar

• Salutes: 14
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 08, 2013, 12:54:32 pm »
Not sure if this made it up here, but someone was complaining about the railing height in front of the Helm.  Well, there is a good thing about that railing height -- it allows the pilot to very easily use the top middle gun by looking up.

First impression idea:  Pilot uses that spot as a flak gun when the armor on the enemy ship goes down, then quickly goes back to the helm.

Ideas?

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 08, 2013, 01:26:49 pm »
The only parkour stuff I've found on the Mobula is the ability to jump along the front to get to the other topside guns. Nothing really useful for repairs, though.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 08, 2013, 01:27:57 pm »
Don't forget you can fix the middle engine from underneath.  Not parkour but even the AI does it oddly.

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 08, 2013, 01:44:30 pm »
oddly enough thats probably the only smart thing i'm surprised the AI does. . with that said. . . made some minor changes to the collision mesh, not sure if it'll go in, but heres hoping.

Offline Zormac

• Salutes: 3
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 09, 2013, 07:35:53 am »
To be honest, I'm happy with two separate hallways and no access from one steering engine to the other. That would break the "main deck engineer" role and now two engineers would be required to repair engines, which would cost firepower and balance the ship a little. Maybe captains will tax the engines a bit less.

The maneuverability is much better than I expected - it can turn faster than the Pyramidion when using Phoenix Claw, and the vertical speed is just awesome. It's rather easy to avoid lumberjack shots or rams when compared to other ships. It just moves forward rather slowly, but I think it's a good speed to balance the raw front gun power.

As for parkour, the captain can hop on nearby side guns and quickly hop back via railing. However, it's easy to fall. There's also the aforementioned jump from central gun to the side ones.

In conclusion, this ship might take more skill and planning than people wanted. I think many people are just too spoiled with cookie-cutter builds that take little to no skill to use (gat/flak Pyramidion, for instance) to try it. The possibilities are endless. I already have a build in mind and I think it might work.

I'm definitely taking the Mobula for a spin when 1.3 goes live.

Offline Andrej Peribosky

• Salutes: 4
    • [MAF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 09, 2013, 07:44:46 am »
I like this ship a lot and i will be flying it.
I have two big qualms however

- For engineers, it will be BORING to watch hull/ballon without being able to even see the battlefield. Extremely boring that i can see people NOT joining on a mobula for this reason. Also, each engineer MUST bring standard loadout with no buffs, because otherwise the other engineer must run from one side of the ship to the other and that is not feasible. It would be solved by having a connecting tunnel between port and starboard side... but it's too late for modeling i suppose.

- AI is probably worthless on this ship, unless the engineers KNOW that they HAVE to stay in their side of the ship and not run around like crazy. I'm pretty sure they dont know any better, though.