Author Topic: Larger Crew Size  (Read 37139 times)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: Larger Crew Size
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 04:58:48 pm »
@N-Sunderland
That is probably why Muse created the forums. It gives arm chair game designers a chance to express their ideas in a way that doesn't bother the development team. Imagine how many "you game is cool but it needs more boarding" emails they would get without this forum.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 05:03:51 pm »
@N-Sunderland
That is probably why Muse created the forums. It gives arm chair game designers a chance to express their ideas in a way that doesn't bother the development team. Imagine how many "you game is cool but it needs more boarding" emails they would get without this forum.

Sounds about right.

Can we have the word "boarding" banned?

N-Sunderland has been banned for this post
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 05:10:10 pm by ATeddyBear »

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 05:17:26 pm »
I just started playing yesterday, but that was the first thing that came to mind after a few games.

Don't take this the wrong way.. but a lot of people are making very similar suggestions after playing the game for a couple of days.  It would be interesting to know what these same people think after a couple of weeks.  The crew size limit appears daunting to most players at the start, but after a while it's part of the challenge.

This. I'm getting tired of people making suggestions based entirely on their complete lack of experience. Report bugs, sure. But major suggestions relating to the game's content? You need to learn more about the game before you do that. The only people who suggest boarding and other silly things like crew size increases are the ones who've yet to even play for 10 hours.

I'd be careful about that sentiment.  It's frustrating when a game is designed around only a certain subset of the community, experienced or inexperienced.  Rather than bitch about people bringing up those suggestions, it'd be better to make a quick FAQ explaining why those ideas are unpopular and unlikely to ever be implemented.  You won't see those suggestions brought up as often (and when you do you it's just a matter of locking the thread and linking to the FAQ) and you'll still be able to get impressions from those that aren't being drawn into the game 100% for this or that reason.  Different perspectives are useful, y'know?

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 05:24:58 pm »
Alrighty then... let's take a step back :P.... yes with the current set of ships that we have, 4 people is more than enough to cover all of the necessities (including the Galleon)... There are other posts that are like this with the suggestion of having 1v1 mega ships (https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,84.0.html). While I do like the idea, and am sure that it will be addressed eventually. I think we need to get more people in the game for this to happen... we still have issues populating normal lobby's let alone one with more crew slots.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 05:26:42 pm »
@N-Sunderland

Sounds about right.

Can we have the word "boarding" banned?

N-Sunderland has been banned for this post

XD, very good, ATeddyBear :P

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 05:34:58 pm »
I just started playing yesterday, but that was the first thing that came to mind after a few games.

Don't take this the wrong way.. but a lot of people are making very similar suggestions after playing the game for a couple of days.  It would be interesting to know what these same people think after a couple of weeks.  The crew size limit appears daunting to most players at the start, but after a while it's part of the challenge.

This. I'm getting tired of people making suggestions based entirely on their complete lack of experience. Report bugs, sure. But major suggestions relating to the game's content? You need to learn more about the game before you do that. The only people who suggest boarding and other silly things like crew size increases are the ones who've yet to even play for 10 hours.

I'd be careful about that sentiment.  It's frustrating when a game is designed around only a certain subset of the community, experienced or inexperienced.  Rather than bitch about people bringing up those suggestions, it'd be better to make a quick FAQ explaining why those ideas are unpopular and unlikely to ever be implemented.  You won't see those suggestions brought up as often (and when you do you it's just a matter of locking the thread and linking to the FAQ) and you'll still be able to get impressions from those that aren't being drawn into the game 100% for this or that reason.  Different perspectives are useful, y'know?

I'm all for different perspectives, but you shouldn't start telling the devs how the game should be if you barely know it as it is now. People who support boarding, for example, don't understand that A. the game is perfectly good without it B. it would be a nightmare to balance and C. it wouldn't be fun, and it would distract from the main purpose of the game. These are all things that people come to understand with time. Once again, I like seeing different perspectives, but it's always better to get to know the game first.

EDIT: By "you" I mean new players in general. I didn't mean you.

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 05:41:55 pm »
I'm all for different perspectives, but you shouldn't start telling the devs how the game should be if you barely know it as it is now. People who support boarding, for example, don't understand that A. the game is perfectly good without it B. it would be a nightmare to balance and C. it wouldn't be fun, and it would distract from the main purpose of the game. These are all things that people come to understand with time. Once again, I like seeing different perspectives, but it's always better to get to know the game first.

EDIT: By "you" I mean new players in general. I didn't mean you.

Yes, but for someone to get to the point that they're experienced they need to enjoy the game enough to keep playing.  If some missing feature is getting in the way of that, that needs to be said.  First impressions are pretty damn important too.

I'm not saying suggestions like boarding and increased crew sizes shouldn't be shot down, but there shouldn't be an expectation that only experienced players should be making suggestions either.  It makes a community insular and has brought down more than a few games I've played before.

EDIT:  As an example, I made suggestions about UI improvements; typically the people who are going to make good UI suggestions are those that aren't already used to the current UI.  I know you were talking about content suggestions specifically, but this can apply to stuff like weapon balance at different playing levels.  Just because a weapon can be countered by very experienced players doesn't mean that a weapon's current stats aren't an issue, in a community this small you don't want people to be turned off before they get to the point where they've got enough experience to play at that level.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 05:47:01 pm by Helmic »

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 05:46:50 pm »

Yes, but for someone to get to the point that they're experienced they need to enjoy the game enough to keep playing.  If some missing feature is getting in the way of that, that needs to be said.  First impressions are pretty damn important too.

I'm not saying suggestions like boarding and increased crew sizes shouldn't be shot down, but there shouldn't be an expectation that only experienced players should be making suggestions either.  It makes a community insular and has brought down more than a few games I've played before.

I never said that only experienced players should make suggestions. I said that you should get to know the game a bit. I mean, play for 10 hours or so. A lot of people's suggestions are things they'll go back on after playing a bit more.

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 05:48:33 pm »
I never said that only experienced players should make suggestions. I said that you should get to know the game a bit. I mean, play for 10 hours or so. A lot of people's suggestions are things they'll go back on after playing a bit more.

Ten hours is significantly more time than I've spent playing many of the games I've purchased on Steam.  Those sorts of suggestions need an FAQ.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 05:52:30 pm »

Ten hours is significantly more time than I've spent playing many of the games I've purchased on Steam.  Those sorts of suggestions need an FAQ.

There actually is an FAQ that mentions stuff like boarding. Maybe Muse should post it on the forum and sticky it.

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 05:55:33 pm »

There actually is an FAQ that mentions stuff like boarding. Maybe Muse should post it on the forum and sticky it.

I keep hearing about this fabled older forum.  It should probably put up a notice that it's going to be archived in a month so people move over to this new one and talk with all the new players.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 05:58:48 pm »
I keep hearing about this fabled older forum.  It should probably put up a notice that it's going to be archived in a month so people move over to this new one and talk with all the new players.

Uhh.. it's shut for posting and we're already here.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 06:00:58 pm »
The FAQ is not on the older forum, it is a link from the main page. You need to click Community->Forum to get here but the FAQ is only one click away.

http://gunsoficarus.com/faq/

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 06:03:56 pm »

I allways assumed forum Mods can actualy STICKY topics.

Also maby update the FAQ a bit as well, at least stings not related to gameplay (like Linux availybility and supported distributions, possible package dependancies and minimum kernell version or something)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:06:55 pm by Mattilald Anguisad »

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 06:33:27 pm »
I allways assumed forum Mods can actualy STICKY topics.

Not on this forum. Stickying is a privilege reserved to Muse developers.