Author Topic: Combat Music  (Read 15817 times)

Offline OddOstrich

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Combat Music
« on: May 16, 2013, 09:24:40 pm »
You know how the drums start playing when you start getting close to the enemy?

I would love to have custom music, or even just different music choices to replace the drums. Because while the drums are good and all, having variety would greatly enhance the experience I think.

I normally like listening to other music while I'm playing an engineer so I would mute the drums. But as a gunner or pilot I know I have to settle for the drums to maximize my winning potential, and it sometimes gets old.

I know my choice for my personal custom choice for combat music would be to replace it with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc3CaS97hP8

Offline Ressorius

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 14
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Music
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 09:34:47 pm »
Interesting! Eugene was talking to me about xenosaga the other day. I'll keep this in mind.

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 02:29:23 am »
Don't limit yourself to Xenosaga--any Yasunori Mitsuda music (Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, a host of other games) is great.  Of course, getting the licensing would not be so easy.  Good start compositionally, though.

Also, who wrote the GoI theme?

Offline Redorio diVario

• Salutes: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 03:30:17 am »
Isn't it Grimmen Gong?

Also as it is written here: http://gunsoficarus.com/community/blog/dynamic-music/ the music in the game is dynamic. I would like to have custom music especially if it could work with the current dynamic music system. For example we could have 3 folders for "calm", "medium" and "battle" music or however it is divided to put our music in and the system could blend it like it currently does.

Offline OPeepi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 05:03:46 am »
No offense but I really hate that kind of music, it will totally take the experience away bc it does sound like Nitendo music.
i think something that might work is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpqgRuHUpMc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVhYaBeMd7w

Offline OddOstrich

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 07:56:25 pm »
No offense but I really hate that kind of music, it will totally take the experience away bc it does sound like Nitendo music.
i think something that might work is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpqgRuHUpMc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVhYaBeMd7w

Thats some sweet music OPeepi!

I was just saying if each player could customize their own combat music individually that I would put that music, not suggesting that we replace the drums with that specific music. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 08:53:28 pm »
or, better than music, would be ambiant ship sounds. you would know an enemy ship is near by the sound of their crew doing airship things, running around, talking, bells ringing, engines roaring. and on the plus side if you wanted to run silent you could shut off your engines, have your ship emit less sounds to the surroundings, and hide in the clouds or behind corners and stuff.

music is still important to the experience of a game. it gets your adrenaline going and enhances the overall sensory experience thats why all games,movies,and tv shows have a sound track. so not really a replacement of music all together, just somthing else besides music to indicate enemy proximity.

Offline Machiavelliest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 10:41:06 pm »
There's a discussion about this here.  I use Francois Rabbath because it's actually period appropriate, for as much as you can correlate GoI to real history.
I actually listen to Francois Rabbath's stuff (obscure, I know).  I think the initial cello quartet in GoI made me think of it, since most of his solo pieces are him on the double bass accompanied by tabla.  L'odyssee D'eau specifically (it sort of picks up into battle music around 5:30).  Horda is Squid music.  There are others, but they're not hosted online.

Offline Ressorius

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 12:27:56 am »
Isn't it Grimmen Gong?

Also as it is written here: http://gunsoficarus.com/community/blog/dynamic-music/ the music in the game is dynamic. I would like to have custom music especially if it could work with the current dynamic music system. For example we could have 3 folders for "calm", "medium" and "battle" music or however it is divided to put our music in and the system could blend it like it currently does.

There are several composers for skirmish mode at the moment. I'm Gimmen Gong.

Here is a sample of some of my work in game
http://youtu.be/RmoDpe0R1_E

I will be doing music for Adventure mode as well.

-Ress

Offline Deano

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 02:41:09 am »
This: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5wLjAPCvUQ Is by far the BEST music for battle.  :D

Offline Machiavelliest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 03:23:33 am »
Gimmen, what program do you use, and do you have any special voice packs/sample packs?  Also, do you know Frank Klepacki?

Thanks for the link!

Offline Ressorius

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 11:14:47 pm »
Gimmen, what program do you use, and do you have any special voice packs/sample packs?  Also, do you know Frank Klepacki?

Thanks for the link!

Hi Machiavelliest. I have Vst programs with mutiple sound libraries I use for composing.  I use Fl studio 10, Cubase 6 and Protools for light mastering.  I looked up Fran Klepacki and I have heard his stuff, Specifically his Command and Conquer Red alert soundtrack. I used to play C&C back in 95-97 a-lot with my family so I've heard his game music before. I have not heard his recent stuff though.  I enjoy his work on that score.

Offline Machiavelliest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 01:44:01 am »
I like how you've used orchestral music rather than trying to over-punk it. I'll keep listening to your channel!  Are there any plans to roll out region-specific music for Adventure Mode?

Offline Ressorius

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 12:19:24 am »
I like how you've used orchestral music rather than trying to over-punk it. I'll keep listening to your channel!  Are there any plans to roll out region-specific music for Adventure Mode?

Yes there is. There are Six factions and each faction will get its own Motif. Each faction will be composed with mostly western orchestral scoring accompanied by a few select cultural instruments for that area.  For Example Battle music in the Yesha Empire region have Asian influences,  I would be using patches and samples of Taiko Drums, Chinese Kettle drums, Gongs etc.. to reflect that cultural diversity.  There is a lot of music to be made.

I like painting with sound. :)

Offline Machiavelliest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 02:16:04 am »
If you're interested in taiko, check out Kodo (and their smaller odaiko trio).  I live in Okinawa, so I get to see a lot of drumming because of the traditional Eisa dances here.

Not sure if it'd fit with any of the civilizations, but tabla is a pretty well-suited drum instrument, too.  Curandero is probably my favorite group of all time.  Aside from the fact that the musicians are possibly the most talented in the world in their field, I'm also a bass player, and Kai Eckhardt plays a fretless, and very well at that.

There seems to be two main styles of playing tabla, the Aloke Dutta style, considered a little more modern, and the Zakir Hussain style.  Aloke Dutta is performing in Alex Gray's Chapel of Sacred Mirrors because he was the instructor for Danny Cary, Tool's drummer; Alex Gray does the artwork for their albums.

And I bet no one would think the clay pot is an awesome instrument.

For the battles especially I tend to prefer percussive music.  It's also kind of in line with the concepts at work in the game.  Look at Holst's Mars, Bringer of War, and compare it to the rest of the Planets series--people naturally associate battle with percussion.  I used to be an active musician, so I relish any chance to discuss and share it!