Author Topic: Engineer Stamina (.... meh)  (Read 12655 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Engineer Stamina (.... meh)
« on: May 03, 2015, 12:12:39 pm »
Engineer stamina thread

Pilot stamina thread
Gunner stamina thread

Now that stamina is out of devapp and in full test mode, we can discuss likes/dislikes and suggestions more broadly.

Stamina for Engineers seems like something everyone should have off a gun or helm. It is just not a class specific skill, and has little to do with an engie's actual job. Pilot and gunner stamina have more (if little in gunner's case) potential for getting you out of a tough situation. Engineers... running fast from one thing to the next really does not help a lot when you are just running from part to part to look at cooldown timers, or using most of your time to rebuild something.

The greatest use I have found for engie stamina is for my top deck Hades Funhouse gunner, so they can run back and forth between wing guns faster.

So, now that stamina has seen real combat over many matches, what are your thoughts on engineer stamina? What could be improved? What is not balanced? What additions/removals would you make?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:20:44 pm by Richard LeMoon »

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
Re: Engineer Stamina (.... meh)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 12:26:20 pm »
Never needed it.

Not even during rebuilds. When stamina is supposed to speed it up.

As for the sprint/jump? Never needed that either, as I know all the parkour tricks without them and can get to parts ridiculously fast anyway. A speed boost is pointless.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 12:31:00 pm »
Captain stamina can be used to help accelerate ship movement and turning without burning engines to help spare the engineers a trip to the engines so they can stay on the hull and balloon.

Gunner stamina can be used to turn the turret further to start dealing damage sooner, and reload faster to increase damage rate by helping you maintain consistent damage.

Engineer stamina can help you reach a component faster in a desperate situation to save perma hull and restore engines quicker to evade desperate situations

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 12:35:15 pm »
They need to fix the magnetic movement as for now.

But ive found it very usefull in some ships.
The goldfish i find very usefull on. Going up the spiral on the spire. The mobula in getting to hull from baloon. Getting to side engines from guns as buff engineer on galleon and back again. From baloon to hull on junker. Nothing much at all on a squid or pyra.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 01:12:17 pm »
Engineer stamina proved to be creating a severe disadvantages to my usual main engineer: He started out on the top gun, of the hull wing, and wanted to jump down to repair the armor. In order to be quick about this, he used Stamina, overshot, fell of the ship and the ship died.

It is very situational and I would like it to be changed to: Teleport to component. Science fiction pure, but is probably more interesting than just running faster and jumping 50px higher.
I would like stamina jumping engineer to be able to jump high enough to get on the top deck of the Mobula from the bottom at least.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 01:14:23 pm »
It is great on a galleon as our flak gunner can now safely buff upstairs and still make it down quickly for combat. Engineer stamina was never intended to be great anyway.

Offline The Sky Wolf

• [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 02:43:16 pm »
As an engineer, sprinting stamina really helps you do your job faster. An engineer who knows how to use their stamina correctly is invaluable. Although I'm pretty sure the entire stamina system was basically only created as way to help the gunner become a more useful class ... to get people to actually want their gunners as opposed to gungineers who can do the gunner's job for them + buff the guns for extra damage + repair broken components.

As a gunner, the faster reloading and increased turret rotation really does help you to dominate on battlefield with all that consistent damage, and yes it does kind of overshadow the engineer's new abilities, but that was sort've the point. Even though the new sprinting/jumping feature can really help save your ship in the brink of time. If people are jumping off their own ship on accident then that just means they need to practice doing ship parkour using stamina and adapt to the new dimensions of it all and explore their limitations.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 02:59:56 pm by The Sky Wolf »

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 05:08:09 pm »
In order to be quick about this, he used Stamina, overshot, fell of the ship and the ship died.
Dont blame stamina on that.

As an engineer, sprinting stamina really helps you do your job faster. An engineer who knows how to use their stamina correctly is invaluable.
Its a new mechanic that people have to get used to abusing.
But i still think the magnetic movement needs to be adressed before we fully can perhaps realise the stamina to do well.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 05:11:17 pm »
Engineer stamina is good, it lets you jump in places where you couldn't have before and it lets you get somewhere faster. It's quite useful on galleon, mobula, goldfish and junker (those were the ones I got to test). It's very useful if you need to just go somewhere real quick and come back (say, turning engines on a goldfish) and if crucial component is down (hull/baloon).

It would be nice if stamina could let you rebuild faster.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 08:02:55 pm »
Stamina doesn't increase jump height- it increases movement speed which lets you jump further.  It's not very useful at positions like balloon engi on pyra so I think there should be a small bonus to repair speed like 10%. I also think the speed bonus is a bit excessive and it should be closer to +50%. Overall I think it's ok how it is now, not great but no big complaints.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 08:13:32 pm »
Helpful on mobula and spire, maybe galleon too, when you might have a long way to run to get to a component or back to your gun.  Kinda meh on most other ships.

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 08:15:29 pm »
it does increase jump height actualy. I tried jumping for the main mobula engine and i jumped up to it.
Its not that super jump that you had from dev app. There is also an acceleration with the stamina which i dont agree with.

for 1 second the stamina isnt applied just yett, until then you have lost a good chunk of stamina.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 11:53:32 pm »
Quote from: Crafeksterty
it does increase jump height actually. I tried jumping for the main mobula engine and i jumped up to it.

for 1 second the stamina isnt applied just yet, until then you have lost a good chunk of stamina.

Silly me, I didn't test it myself.

That's good advice, longer bursts are higher stamina/time
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 11:55:53 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline MagKel

• Salutes: 53
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood of GOIO
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 03:54:15 am »
Stamina didn't change my job that much. I cannot keep a bigger chem cycle more than once because the recharge and weird mechanic (sometimes i burn half of it in a brief burst, sometimes it lasts forever. It also recharges at weird rates that are not completely consistent with my behaviour) don't let me spam continously. All ships were designed and balanced without it hence most of the times I am looking at cooldowns. Yes, I can jump to the balloon on a spire and stamina my way up the ladder, but why if there are gunner and engi downstairs already and most probably the hull needs a help? Same goes with almost all other ship where the two engis do the job just fine.

What i would love for engi's stamina is faster (40%) rebuilds/repairs with a cool down where rebuild/repair is slowed (30%) depending on how much I use of it so that I, as engineer must decide on the spot if i want to spam stamina to rebuild that component at the price of lower efficiency for a brief time.

Take the meter of stamina, make it incremental where the first 1/4 has +/-10%, the second +/-20%, the third +/-30% and the last 4th has +40%-30% rebuild/repair effect. Regardless of how much you used it, your stamina goes in cooldown and until it is fully restored you have the (decreasing) modifier. This means you will tank like almost 2 crews (one spanner and 1 wrench?) for a single component to save the ship but at the price of reduced efficiency for secondary rebuilds, with your capabilities progressively returning to normal.

Also, because we are not anymore in Steampunk but apparently in Narnia since the last patch, with hadouken component explosions and yellow vertical flames, I would like my stamina ability to make louder and louder bangs or even flashes while i use it because my tool is transformed into the Spanner of Thor  ;D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 03:56:52 am by MagKel »

Offline The Sky Wolf

• [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 12:10:47 pm »
Imagine that, different skins for your tools. Thor's Hammer Mallet Model Replacer. Would be funny.